Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Julion Teheran over the Years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I would be more concerned with the quality of the overall package rather than focus on specific needs or the players ETA to the majors. That's secondary to value. The exception I might make would be for a catcher who is already in the majors or is near major league ready. We have a big need there. But I think we can fill that need without moving Teheran or any top prospect.
    I don't think the immediate need will be the only factor, but we've entered a stage in the rebuild where they won't move a piece like Teheran without filling a need at the MLB level for 2017 . . . unless the prospect pool offered is just ridiculous. This is what I meant with the leverage comment. Quite understandably, we'll be looking for 2017 contributors and will be very stearn in our negotiating posture to get that. So if a trade partner doesn't want to make an offer like that, they'll have to pay out the wazoo with non-MLB-ready assets. I'd be okay with either of those outcomes.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (05-20-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    A perennial MVP caliber bat otherwise...

Prospects are nice and all but at some point have to keep someone. I see Tehran as a rotation anchor.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

goldfly (05-19-2016)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    If we trade him, we should take note of this if we want to sell high:

@mlbbowman 26m26 minutes ago
    Teheran has a 0.42 ERA (1 ER in 21.2 IP) with Flowers as his catcher and a 4.19 ERA (16 ER in 34.1 IP) with Pyrzynski behind the plate.
    Bowman been reading here?
    Forever Fredi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Preacher (05-19-2016)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Nobody WANTs to deal JT.

But nobody wants to watch this collection of awful hitters.

If you can get a stud hitter who is controlled for at least 3 years, then you need to look at it. We'd lose a lot with Tehran gone, but look at the lineups we are putting out.

I know we all love Mallex right now. And Ruiz has done some things. But I'm still thinking of C, 3B, and both corners as steaming piles of awfulness right now. I think there is a better chance that one of Newcombe or Simms can replace a decent portion of JT than we fill those holes in the line up.

I'd prefer to get a team like the Rockies to bite on Folty for their blocked 3B prospect and keep JT.
    There are other places to go for it. How about Tyler O'Neill and Mike Zunino for Arodys Vizcaino? There's a mashing 21 year old OF who will be ready in a year and an excellent post-hype catcher tearing up the PCL. M's need a closer so Cishek doesn't wreck their season.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    If we trade him, we should take note of this if we want to sell high:

@mlbbowman 26m26 minutes ago
    Teheran has a 0.42 ERA (1 ER in 21.2 IP) with Flowers as his catcher and a 4.19 ERA (16 ER in 34.1 IP) with Pyrzynski behind the plate.
    SSS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsnores View Post
    SSS?
    AJ being a bad catcher is not a SSS.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-19-2016), Julio3000 (05-19-2016), nsacpi (05-19-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Someone at BA the other day said they saw Bregman drafted as a trade chip. I'd look into him in a deal for Teheran.
    https://whensidslidcronies.wordpress...actually-have/
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Some tough decisions upcoming with ol' Teflon Julion.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (05-19-2016), nsacpi (05-19-2016), The Chosen One (05-19-2016)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts
    Sell, sell, sell

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Josh Reddick is another example from a few years ago. He was a decent but not elite prospect. Nothing wrong with stockpiling those kinds of guys on the expectation that one out of ten will turn out to be of significant value.

Beckham has been one our few pleasant surprises this year. I thought he looked very good in spring training. Then he had a disastrous first few games and people wanted him released. Glad it didn't happen. I would be in favor of bringing him and KJ back next year. It is worth constructing a decent bench rather than trying to choose between Francoeur, Stubbs and Bonifacio.
    Reddick would have been another one. Guys who are at least a couple of years away from FA and are solid but not top drawer. Guys who could sprinkle in around your better guys who could develop into being one of your better guys.

I thought the Beckham signing made sense. It was the Bonifacio signing a few days later that puzzled me.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Reddick doesn't want to play in Atlanta. His grandma was a hair stylist and cut my hair from when I was 15 until she retired last year.
    We would talk about him everytime I'd get a cut from when he was in from low minors to Pawtucket up to when he got called up.

She told me he'd always tell her he would never want to play in Atlanta because it's too close to home and likes being away from all of his family, even though he loved the Braves growing up lol.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Francoeur btw is working on his fifth consecutive negative WAR season. That is pretty impressive in its own way.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

bravos4evr (05-22-2016), jpx7 (05-19-2016), Julio3000 (05-19-2016), The Chosen One (05-19-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    Reddick doesn't want to play in Atlanta. His grandma was a hair stylist and cut my hair from when I was 15 until she retired last year.
    We would talk about him everytime I'd get a cut from when he was in from low minors to Pawtucket up to when he got called up.

She told me he'd always tell her he would never want to play in Atlanta because it's too close to home and likes being away from all of his family, even though he loved the Braves growing up lol.
    ain't no old lady touching my hair

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post

That can change as you age. As someone with older parents who moved 14 hours from home after college - it was awesome to be out on my own for a couple of years, until I realized my dad would be 70 before I got to see him more than a couple of times a year. Thinking about that lost time can change your mind pretty quickly.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rawwr For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (05-19-2016), The Chosen One (05-19-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I would only trade Teheran for an overwhelming deal. The Astros could start with Bregman and Musgrove.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Another man's opinion

Klaw: I’d rather see Correa at 3b, where I think he’ll be excellent, and Bregman at ss, where I think he’ll be no worse than Correa (who appears to be below-average there). That’s a better alignment than Correa at ss and Bregman at 3b, where I think both guys would be below-average because Bregman doesn’t have the arm for third.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Another man's opinion

Klaw: I’d rather see Correa at 3b, where I think he’ll be excellent, and Bregman at ss, where I think he’ll be no worse than Correa (who appears to be below-average there). That’s a better alignment than Correa at ss and Bregman at 3b, where I think both guys would be below-average because Bregman doesn’t have the arm for third.
    I am not sure my opinion is any better than anybody else, but I have never thought the arm strength difference between SS and 3B was all that important. The bigger issue for me has always been range. SS makes throws from the hole moving away from 1B, while 3B sometimes makes throws from the 3B foul line, but usually moving toward 1B. Arm strength would not be my reason for moving a guy from 3B to SS.

If Bregman doesn't have the arm for 3B, he probably doesn't have the arm for SS either. JMHO.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (05-19-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    I am not sure my opinion is any better than anybody else, but I have never thought the arm strength difference between SS and 3B was all that important. The bigger issue for me has always been range. SS makes throws from the hole moving away from 1B, while 3B sometimes makes throws from the 3B foul line, but usually moving toward 1B. Arm strength would not be my reason for moving a guy from 3B to SS.

If Bregman doesn't have the arm for 3B, he probably doesn't have the arm for SS either. JMHO.
    Agreed, that was a pretty dumb comment by Law.

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    I wonder if you might could work out a 3 team deal where the Yankees get Teheran and Vizzy, the Rangers get Chapman and Norris and the Braves get Aaron Judge,Gary Sanchez and Lewis Brinson . The value works out pretty well, Brinson is blocked now that Mazara performed (and Choo under contract) Yankees get 2 controlled arms and a closer that they could keep and then deal Andrew Miller in a later deal, Rangers solve their biggest problem big time with Chapman and a solid middle reliever without having to move Gallo.

3 top 75 prospects is a pretty damn good return for those 2 guys.
    Last edited by bravos4evr; 05-23-2016 at 01:00 AM.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Francoeur btw is working on his fifth consecutive negative WAR season. That is pretty impressive in its own way.
    Doesn't it then become LBR?

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

mqt (05-25-2016), nsacpi (05-22-2016), The Chosen One (05-23-2016)