Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5/19 THURSDAY MINORS Final.... Fried's best start so far

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    I just hope they resist pushing Swanson up to Atlanta at any point this year. Albies as well. Wait till May 1 next year to put them in Atlanta.
    I have a sneaking suspicion the new CBA will prevent teams from sticking prospects in the minors for a few weeks and gaining that 7th year of control. I would be willing to bet money they will have to be down there for at least 2-3 months, and maybe even 51% of the season to delay becoming a FA. If that ends up being the case the calculus changes when deciding to promote top prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    The Braves don't play the service time game. When a player is ready and there's an opening, they call them up. I agree with this approach. If a player has earned the promotion then they should get it.

I just don't want them pushing Swanson because they want him to earn the promotion. Don't let the desire to show the rebuild is progressing force us to make stupid decisions.

That being said, if the Braves promote Swanson to AAA next month and he tears up AAA pitching showing he's ready for the show, then you call him up and let him cut his teeth. In fact, letting him get his first experience and get over some growing pains in games that don't matter might be beneficial for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I don't believe either Swanson or Albies have to be added to the 40-man this off-season to protect them in the Rule 5. So there is a case for deferring that while adding guys who we might lose in the Rule 5 as well as creating space for us to add some players this off-season.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-20-2016), jpx7 (05-20-2016), NYCBrave (05-20-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I don't believe either Swanson or Albies have to be added to the 40-man this off-season to protect them in the Rule 5. So there is a case for deferring that while adding guys who we might lose in the Rule 5 as well as creating space for us to add some players this off-season.
    I don't have the list in front of me, but with all of the guys they have obtained over the past couple of off-seasons, there are probably a few that will have to be put on the 40-man to prevent their being eligible for the Rule 5. Plus, as you say, we may want to keep a spot open to draft someone. If we're planning on winning 50 games, I don't think we need to have Swanson and Albies contribute to the futility. Camargo has to go on the 40-man at the end of the season, so bringing him up would make more sense than bringing in either Albies or Swanson. The trouble is with Albies and Swanson taking all the innings at SS, Camargo isn't getting any time there.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-20-2016), jpx7 (05-20-2016)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    I just hope they resist pushing Swanson up to Atlanta at any point this year. Albies as well. Wait till May 1 next year to put them in Atlanta.
    Hopefully they won't call either player up to Atlanta, since the organization won't be playing any baseball there.

"For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (05-20-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Here are the noteworthy guys I see that need Rule 5 protection this Winter (if the Braves deem them worthy or protection): Sims, Ruiz, Camargo, Whalen, Lien, Hursh, Janas, Thurman, Bird

Notable guys who don't need protection: Swanson, Albies, Newcomb, Ellis, Povse, Barker, Peterson

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-20-2016), CJ9 (05-20-2016), jpx7 (05-20-2016), nsacpi (05-20-2016), NYCBrave (05-20-2016), Preacher (05-20-2016), UNCBlue012 (05-20-2016)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    The Braves don't play the service time game. When a player is ready and there's an opening, they call them up. I agree with this approach. If a player has earned the promotion then they should get it.

I just don't want them pushing Swanson because they want him to earn the promotion. Don't let the desire to show the rebuild is progressing force us to make stupid decisions.

That being said, if the Braves promote Swanson to AAA next month and he tears up AAA pitching showing he's ready for the show, then you call him up and let him cut his teeth. In fact, letting him get his first experience and get over some growing pains in games that don't matter might be beneficial for him.
    Which gets us one less year of Heyward. It's stupid to not play the game. At some the Braves will realize they are a mid market team at best and that they have to do this. It doesn't make sense not to.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

CJ9 (05-20-2016), NYCBrave (05-20-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Which gets us one less year of Heyward. It's stupid to not play the game. At some the Braves will realize they are a mid market team at best and that they have to do this. It doesn't make sense not to.
    The Braves are a Gold Standard Franchise which means that all their practices are Gold Standard. By definition.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    The Braves are a Gold Standard Franchise which means that all their practices are Gold Standard. By definition.

JS and Co are living in the past when they had Ted's checkbook to solve a lot of problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Here are the noteworthy guys I see that need Rule 5 protection this Winter (if the Braves deem them worthy or protection): Sims, Ruiz, Camargo, Whalen, Lien, Hursh, Janas, Thurman, Bird

Notable guys who don't need protection: Swanson, Albies, Newcomb, Ellis, Povse, Barker, Peterson
    The 40 man will fill up quickly when you consider they will also eventually have to add back guys currently on the 60 day DL. We have three right now: Jesse Biddle, Paco Rodriguez and McKirahan. Though McKirahan could be released. Even if we release McKirahan and do not add Swanson and Albies, we would not be able to protect all the guys you listed given the need to pick up some major league players for catcher, third, and a couple guys for the bench and pen. My guess is we protect Sims, Ruiz, Camargo, Lien, Whalen and Janas, and take our chances on losing Bird, Hursh and Thurman.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-20-2016 at 03:15 PM.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    The 40 man will fill up quickly when you consider they will also eventually have to add back guys currently on the 60 day DL. We have three right now: Jesse Biddle, Paco Rodriguez and McKirahan. Though McKirahan could be released. Even if we release McKirahan and do not add Swanson and Albies, we would not be able to protect all the guys you listed given the need to pick up some major league players for catcher, third, and a couple guys for the bench and pen. My guess is we protect Sims, Ruiz, Camargo, Lien, Whalen and Janas, and take our chances on losing Bird, Hursh and Thurman.
    Lein's horrible AFL showing compounded by this injury should lead the Braves to take a chance on not protecting him. Agree on the others.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    One less year of Heyward did land us Swanson.

Shrugs.