Thread: 6/2 GDT vs Nationals

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Our problem isn't Snit. Our problem is having a pen with too many guys that have no business pitching on a competitive team. We cant operate with a pen of Viz, Minter, and Winkler. We're going to have to rely on other arms in pressure situations.

AA better be looking high and low for relief arms.
    I wouldnt say that.

Winkler, Carle, Freeman, Viz, Minter isnt terrible, and Biddle has looked ok lately. Moylan is decent as a middle relief option. Our 7th-8th guy are pretty bad but when you're complaining over your 7th-8th BP pitcher, you're complaining just to complain.

Also Viz has pitched like 4 times since May 16th or so, he's hardly been over-worked.
    Last edited by Heyward; 06-02-2018 at 07:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    We could use an upgrade in the pen but so can most teams, even playoff teams. This is totally on Snit and anyone that cannot see it has their head up his ass.
    The decisions were not the best to win today. But if you go all out to win every game you're going to burn your pen out by May. A manager is going to have to put his inferior pitchers in close games at times. It sucks but it's a 162 game season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Viz has pitched 3 times in the last 17 days

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-02-2018), jpx7 (06-02-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    The decisions were not the best to win today. But if you go all out to win every game you're going to burn your pen out by May. A manager is going to have to put his inferior pitchers in close games at times. It sucks but it's a 162 game season.
    we got a complete game yesterday but the dumbass still had our best three relievers warming up in the pen. Not one, not two, all three!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,320 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    Oh good, I was giving Snitker too much credit. Maybe I should just see him as an idiot:

https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status...69688627257345
    Holy ****.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garmel For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-02-2018), jpx7 (06-02-2018), The Chosen One (06-02-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Viz has pitched 3 times in the last 17 days
    But how many games did Snit warm him up and not use him? Snit seems to be very slow at times to get someone warming up or the opposite extreme, everyone warms up today whether I need to use you or not. Crazy.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-02-2018), The Chosen One (06-02-2018)

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    Hard to put this one on the pen. Our bats were nearly nonexistent in a 13 inning game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    But how many games did Snit warm him up and not use him? Snit seems to be very slow at times to get someone warming up or the opposite extreme, everyone warms up today whether I need to use you or not. Crazy.
    Generally he is slow to get people to warm up. Which is better than overdoing it. He just had a hard time reacting to the novelty of a starting pitcher pitching into the 8th and 9th innings. It was a understandable to warm up someone in the 8th (though with a four-run lead I'm not sure Winkler was the appropriate guy since he pitched the night before). But then to have two different pitchers (Viz and Minter) warm up in the ninth made no sense. The logical move is to have the same guy warm up again in the 9th and then not use that guy today. In the larger scheme of things it is not the biggest faux pas in bullpen management. It would have bought us one more inning tonight.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-02-2018 at 08:55 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-02-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    btw how about Biddle!!

I really would like to see him given a look at a starter, perhaps next year. Don't know if he will be given that chance with the Braves. Reverse split lefties are natural starting pitchers, assuming their arms can handle the load. I know Biddle has been handled carefully after the TJ surgery, but others have come back from it to handle a heavy workload.

If he remains a reliever, I think he could move into a higher leverage role for us.

"I am your retribution."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-02-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    I honestly want to know what the Braves see in Socolovich. I could understand if he threw 96 or had a devastating breaking ball, but he doesn't. His stuff is bad. I have no idea why the Braves are wasting time on a 31 year old right hander who does nothing well.

Who thought Socolovich was worth a shot over the countless youger live arms out there who could at worst be just as bad but at leave have a chance to be better?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    I honestly want to know what the Braves see in Socolovich. I could understand if he threw 96 or had a devastating breaking ball, but he doesn't. His stuff is bad. I have no idea why the Braves are wasting time on a 31 year old right hander who does nothing well.

Who thought Socolovich was worth a shot over the countless youger live arms out there who could at worst be just as bad but at leave have a chance to be better?
    We've been cycling Sims, Wisler and Socolovich in this spot.

Last start by Anibal Sanchez it was one of those tandem deals when he went 4 innings and Wisler went 4 innings. The Braves sent Wisler down because he had been "used up" and would not be available as the long man out of the pen. I believe Sims could not be called back up because there is some rule about how quickly you can be brought back after being optioned. So it was Socolovich's turn. I'd rather see Wisler, Sims and Fried in that role. But I think it was one of those situations where none of those options were available. Also Gohara was in Brazil visiting his sick mother. So sometimes you end up not with plan B, but plan G, or plan Sokolovich. I wouldn't make much of it. Sometimes its been Luke Jackson.

"I am your retribution."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-02-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    We've been cycling Sims, Wisler and Socolovich in this spot.

Last start by Anibal Sanchez it was one of those tandem deals when he went 4 innings and Wisler went 4 innings. The Braves sent Wisler down because he had been "used up" and would not be available as the long man out of the pen. I believe Sims could not be called back up because there is some rule about how quickly you can be brought back after being optioned. So it was Socolovich's turn. I'd rather see Wisler, Sims and Fried in that role. But I think it was one of those situations where none of those options were available. Also Gohara was in Brazil visiting his sick mother. So sometimes you end up not with plan B, but plan G, or plan Sokolovich. I wouldn't make much of it. Sometimes its been Luke Jackson.
    I'm more wondering why we even signed him in the first place. He's old, unsuccessful, and has poor stuff. What's the point in even signing him?

Also, there are better options in AAA than him. I understand we had to call someone up but there's no reason for it to be Socolovich. He needs to hang up the spikes and try his hand at selling insurance or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    I'm more wondering why we even signed him in the first place. He's old, unsuccessful, and has poor stuff. What's the point in even signing him?

Also, there are better options in AAA than him. I understand we had to call someone up but there's no reason for it to be Socolovich. He needs to hang up the spikes and try his hand at selling insurance or something.
    Luke Jackson?

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Luke Jackson?
    Josh ravin AAA numbers...
    15.2 ip 14.92 k9 4.60 bb9 (not good) 0.00 era 1.55 FIP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Josh ravin AAA numbers...
    15.2 ip 14.92 k9 4.60 bb9 (not good) 0.00 era 1.55 FIP
    Yes. Ravin is a good option. The issue with him is he is out of options. When he was sucking earlier this season, we could send him down without losing him. Remember that 8th man in the pen is a sort of sacrificial lamb. We use them whenever we need to save the rest of the pen. Then we send them down to the minors. So for that you need someone with options left (Wisler, Sims, Fried) or someone that sucks (Sokolovich and Luke Jackson).

When you bring someone like Ravin up, it needs to be for keeps and you will need someone new in the sacrificial lamb role.

One of those little subtleties to roster management.

Alternatively, we can bring Ravin up and stop worrying about being able to send that last guy down when necessary. We could also put Biddle in that role. I suspect he will be sent down after his 3 inning effort. Seems a bit harsh. But that's how you protect your arms in the pen.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-02-2018 at 10:00 PM.

"I am your retribution."

22. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-02-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Yes. Ravin is a good option. The issue with him is he is out of options. When he was sucking earlier this season, we could send him down without losing him. Remember that 8th man in the pen is a sort of sacrificial lamb. We use them whenever we need to save the rest of the pen. Then we send them down to the minors. So for that you need someone with options left (Wisler, Sims, Fried) or someone that sucks (Sokolovich and Luke Jackson).

When you bring someone like Ravin up, it needs to be for keeps and you will need someone new in the sacrificial lamb role.

One of those little subtleties to roster management.

Alternatively, we can bring Ravin up and stop worrying about being able to send that last guy down when necessary. We could also put Biddle in that role. I suspect he will be sent down after his 3 inning effort. Seems a bit harsh. But that's how you protect your arms in the pen.
    Does Luke Jackson have options? His numbers are pretty much the same as ravin's at Gwinnett

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post
    Hard to put this one on the pen. Our bats were nearly nonexistent in a 13 inning game
    Yup. Pen did its job. The offense did not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Does Luke Jackson have options? His numbers are pretty much the same as ravin's at Gwinnett
    Luke is out of options. We just send him down and don't worry about some team claiming him. Ditto for Socolovich.

If Fried hadn't thrown 5 innings for Gwinnett tonight it would make sense to call him up for tomorrow. I'm pretty sure we won't get more than 5 innings from Sanchez. We will be needing a middle reliever in all likelihood. Biddle is used up.

If Gohara is back from Brazil we might activate him. Imo this is a bad idea. Its a very long trip from Brazil. Why risk using him when he is just not ready. Gohara and Soroka both need to be handled with the care you use for very valuable assets.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-02-2018 at 10:16 PM.

"I am your retribution."

26. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-02-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post
    People are probably complaining about using Freeman in the 7th.

Use Winkler, Viz, Minter in some order in the 7th/8th/9th then pretty much have a throwaway game Sunday and rest alot of people and you guarantee at least a 1.5 game lead in the division now we're probably .5 a game back.

But i said the same thing, pen had them shut up for awhile, only so long they can continue to do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    After today, our next 20 games are vs teams with losing records. If we truly are a contender, we need to make hay here