Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    why is that concerning
    Id like the Braves to sign one of them? They are quickly moving off the board. Familia, Kelly, Miller, Britton, Soria ect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    How much would romo cost?
    he’s been retired for years, man. Cowboys don’t need him. ;)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

CrimsonCowboy (12-21-2018), Freshmaker (12-21-2018), JohnAdcox (12-21-2018), msstate7 (12-21-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Good price on Soria for the A's.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-21-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    There once was a man named Harry
    Who thought mediocrity was quite scary
    To avoid that fate
    He said, "Trade Freddie The Great!"
    Even though the trade prospects were nary.
    Well done (although the meter is a bit off in the third line)!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-21-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Good price on Soria for the A's.
    Maybe Anthopoulos wants to avoid multi-year deals for bullpen guys, but this is a really good price for Soria. I thought he'd be a good fit.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I don't think anyone really looks at Teheran's contract as being terrible or anything like that. I think people just realize that a Teheran trade would be our best opportunity to open up much needed funds, given the fact that we could replace his production relatively easy with our young crop. I'm honestly kind of shocked that AA didn't look to move Teheran earlier given that it could have provided more financial clarity earlier in the offseason. Maybe he would have been inclined to offer Brantley a little more if Teheran hadn't been on the books.
    While it's obvious (as you rightly point out) that that's the place to go to open up some money, it could actually work out to our benefit that he didn't get moved earlier. Still going to take some luck, but given what Harvey and Cahill got given the considerable health and production questions that come with them and the fact that Anibal got 2 years plus an option, Julio and Gray begin to look like relative bargains - at least in as much as you can probably expect to at least get a lottery ticket for them rather than them being strict salary dumps. Anyone left looking to fill out their rotation is now left with spending big on Keuchel or bringing in somebody like Ervin Santana, Drew Pomeranz, or James Shields.

With those as your options, Julio and Gray look pretty good.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    There once was a man named Harry
    Who thought mediocrity was quite scary
    To avoid that fate
    He said, "Trade Freddie The Great!"
    Even though the trade prospects were nary.
    That's gold, Jerry!! Gold!!!

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    If the only remaining thing AA did for the lineup was to trade Wright for Verdugo straight up, would you be satisfied?

Albies, JD, FF, Acuna, Verdugo, Flowers/Mac, Swanson, Ender w/ Camargo, Culberson, Flowers/Mac on the bench

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Interesting note while looking at the Yankees top prospects is they do no have 1 LH pitcher in their top 30 prospects. They'll lose CC in a year, and Happ/Paxton in 2 years.

If we're looking at trading with them for Frazier and/or Gray I'd assume our stockpile of LH prospects would look good to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Interesting note while looking at the Yankees top prospects is they do no have 1 LH pitcher in their top 30 prospects. They'll lose CC in a year, and Happ/Paxton in 2 years.

If we're looking at trading with them for Frazier and/or Gray I'd assume our stockpile of LH prospects would look good to them.
    I follow a Yankees beat writer on Twitter (I'm not 100% why I just do lol) but he said the Braves are said to be the most attractive team and trade partner to the Yankees because of that very reason. The issue, according to him, is that Atlanta hasn't approached them as often as their front office hopes.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

Chico (12-21-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesguy View Post
    If the only remaining thing AA did for the lineup was to trade Wright for Verdugo straight up, would you be satisfied?

Albies, JD, FF, Acuna, Verdugo, Flowers/Mac, Swanson, Ender w/ Camargo, Culberson, Flowers/Mac on the bench
    That would be a very good trade.

I have a hunch some of the slowness in how things have developed might be related to the fact AA has a contingent deal with the Dodgers that can't be implemented until Harper lands somewhere.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-21-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Cell View Post
    Id like the Braves to sign one of them? They are quickly moving off the board. Familia, Kelly, Miller, Britton, Soria ect.
    we don't really need a high priced RP. has britton signed?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Well done (although the meter is a bit off in the third line)!
    "though the trade prospects were nary"?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    That would be a very good trade.

I have a hunch some of the slowness in how things have developed might be related to the fact AA has a contingent deal with the Dodgers that can't be implemented until Harper lands somewhere.
    The more I think about it, the more I like it. Haniger was/is my first choice, but he will obviously drain part of the prospect capital we have (at least a couple of them). Verdugo may not cost us any of prospect capital. i am just assuming he is ready for a full season of MLB at a average or above average production.

Then if Haniger or JTR or some other 'want' shows up, you decide how good it is for ATL.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

In a heartbeat, but I'm not sure the Dodgers would. Just seems like they're more interested in unloading the guys they have little control over rather than necessarily looking for the best return they can get.

Not that I blame them, but it just looks like they're more interested in getting someone like a Fried/Gohara (somebody further down the list) for Puig or Pederson than giving up 5 years of control over Verdugo. Makes sense on their end since they'd rather have the cheaper option to pair with Harper, but not sure that's the best option for the Braves.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I follow a Yankees beat writer on Twitter (I'm not 100% why I just do lol) but he said the Braves are said to be the most attractive team and trade partner to the Yankees because of that very reason. The issue, according to him, is that Atlanta hasn't approached them as often as their front office hopes.
    Not sure there's a reason to until Cashman gets his heart right about Frazier and/or Gray. Like with Julio, everybody else realizes Frazier and Gray are overkill for them. It's not that they won't be upgrades for other teams, but enough of an upgrade to move controllable pieces that create holes?

I don't think giving up Newk/Fried/Gohara is as much the concern for AA as the other piece is. If that piece is Camargo, things get tough. Instead of looking at it as players for players (Frazier for Camargo for that half of the deal), is Gray really worth that many years of those guys?

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    In a heartbeat, but I'm not sure the Dodgers would. Just seems like they're more interested in unloading the guys they have little control over rather than necessarily looking for the best return they can get.

Not that I blame them, but it just looks like they're more interested in getting someone like a Fried/Gohara (somebody further down the list) for Puig or Pederson than giving up 5 years of control over Verdugo. Makes sense on their end since they'd rather have the cheaper option to pair with Harper, but not sure that's the best option for the Braves.

Of course, who would not want to get rid of the guys that have less value to you...but they also would like to have a #3 pitcher the quality of Wright coming up as Kershaw ages. If Wright is what he could be, a rotation of Kershaw, Buehler, Wright, Ryu is pretty good when you have run producers like Harper, Bellinger, Turner, Muncy, Seager.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Profar has been traded to the A’s
    Get off my lawn!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-21-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Of course, who would not want to get rid of the guys that have less value to you...but they also would like to have a #3 pitcher the quality of Wright coming up as Kershaw ages. If Wright is what he could be, a rotation of Kershaw, Buehler, Wright, Ryu is pretty good when you have run producers like Harper, Bellinger, Turner, Muncy, Seager.
    I'm not disagreeing at all - just not sure they're looking at it that way.

Seems like the only names we've heard Verdugo linked with thus far have been Kluber and Syndergaard - I haven't seen his name floated as part of anything other than a blockbuster. With all the reports, it's easy to have missed a rumor or two, but I haven't seen anything that said that has said Verdugo is "available" unless it's for a serious, right-now upgrade to their rotation.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-21-2018 at 11:09 AM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Profar has been traded to the A’s
    This one's liable to be real interesting given the teams involved.

Gallo to Tampa maybe???