Thread: Manager of the Year

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

Manager of the Year

Prepare yourselves people: Snitker has to be a leading candidate for this award again this season.

No one picked the Braves to win the division. Few picked them to make the playoffs.

At present they are on schedule to win the division despite a ridiculous parade of injuries and poor performance. And yet, the team has somehow kept winning games.

Maybe Anthopolous should be in the running as well for having stocked up on depth and having made moves when needed.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-21-2019), TomahawkCult (08-21-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    i think AA has done a great job. stayed out of super risky moves, made some nice value acquisitions, built solid depth.
    biggest issue i had was Markakis being back as a starter. i don't think that happens again, and i could kind of see the logic considering it was thought of as a good value move (turned out to kind of not be). but it wasn't a killer.

i don't think any other manager is blowing Snitker out of the water in terms of perceived achievement. actual competency, yes.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    mickey callaway and brodie also must be in contention for manager and executive of the year
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i think AA has done a great job. stayed out of super risky moves, made some nice value acquisitions, built solid depth.
    biggest issue i had was Markakis being back as a starter. i don't think that happens again, and i could kind of see the logic considering it was thought of as a good value move (turned out to kind of not be). but it wasn't a killer.

i don't think any other manager is blowing Snitker out of the water in terms of perceived achievement. actual competency, yes.
    I think it’s far more likely this year that Markakis is brought back as the starter considering it will essentially cost $4M and we have two excellent OF in AAA (plus Riley if Donaldson is resigned).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-21-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I think it’s far more likely this year that Markakis is brought back as the starter considering it will essentially cost $4M and we have two excellent OF in AAA (plus Riley if Donaldson is resigned).
    i'll share my same thought from this past offseason: a team with WS aspirations should be aiming higher.
    Markakis was at 0.2 fWAR before his injury. that's not good value, even at only $6M. i don't like it at $4M, either.
    two excellent OF prospects who we aren't sure will be ready, especially offensively. relying on them would be a mistake.
    i really hope they don't bring back Markakis. he will be slotted in the 5 hole every single day despite being a bench player at best.

edit: he was at 0.1.
    Last edited by Super; 08-21-2019 at 10:25 AM.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-21-2019)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    It has to be Roberts or Snit. Who else has over achieved like Braves and Dodgers
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    i'll share my same thought from this past offseason: a team with WS aspirations should be aiming higher.
    Markakis was at 0.2 fWAR before his injury. that's not good value, even at only $6M. i don't like it at $4M, either.
    two excellent OF prospects who we aren't sure will be ready, especially offensively. relying on them would be a mistake.
    i really hope they don't bring back Markakis. he will be slotted in the 5 hole every single day despite being a bench player at best.
    If you could sign an upgrade for one year, then they should, but I just don’t think it’s likely. You can’t commit long term money to a position that’s a relative strength. Markakis plus a platoon partner RHH OF (Riley?) is a fair compromise until Pache is ready.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-21-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    We will have to make some choices on spending between catcher, third and outfield. Could well be we continue with the current mix--spend money at third and go cheap at catcher and OF. Or we could change the mix. But even if we spend more on corner OF I don't think this will involve a long-term contract. That would not make sense with Pache and Waters in AAA. Not to mention Riley, who is a passable outfielder.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    If you could sign an upgrade for one year, then they should, but I just don’t think it’s likely. You can’t commit long term money to a position that’s a relative strength. Markakis plus a platoon partner RHH OF (Riley?) is a fair compromise until Pache is ready.
    i'd rather keep Joyce than Markakis. and he's very likely cheaper.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-21-2019), Jaw (08-21-2019), jpx7 (08-21-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    mickey callaway and brodie also must be in contention for manager and executive of the year
    I'm not sure if you're serious or not. But certainly at the end of June it looked as if Callaway may not even make it to the end of the year. And now the Mets are right in the thick of the playoff race. Baseball is funny.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    It is interesting to think about who we bring back next year. I'd be very satisfied if we brought back almost all of the same team which includes resigning Donaldson and Keuchel. I questioned how effective Riley would be even when he started hot.

I would let Teheran go and I'd try to trade Ender. And I like Billy Hamilton right now as long as he's barely batting. But not next year. If we can't resign Keuchel I'd resign Teheran.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I'm not sure if you're serious or not.
    If its unclear you should assume I'm kidding. Safer that way.

"I am your retribution."

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-21-2019), jpx7 (08-21-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    If its unclear you should assume I'm kidding. Safer that way.
    Brodie, no.
    Callaway i can actually see. they were in turmoil, and despite Brodie's many poor moves, the Mets may make the playoffs.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    It has to be Roberts or Snit. Who else has over achieved like Braves and Dodgers
    Plenty of deserving candidates at this point and more to come depending on how the final month shakes out. The Nationals coming back from 12 games under .500 on May 24th to 12 games over .500 is pretty impressive. I know they were pre-season favorites, but I'm sure that will get him consideration. The Mets and D-Backs obviously have beaten expectations and are within a couple games of the 2nd wild card. The Cards are currently in 1st in the Central.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    I could see Alex winning it. The Sporting News has been doing this award for years and AA won it in 2015 with the Jays. Snit is an obvious choice to win manager of the year again by both MLB and TSN.

Fun Fact: Bobby Cox won TSN manager of the year award 8 times which is by far more than anybody else with 1 coming with the Jays.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I could see Alex winning it. The Sporting News has been doing this award for years and AA won it in 2015 with the Jays. Snit is an obvious choice to win manager of the year again by both MLB and TSN.

Fun Fact: Bobby Cox won TSN manager of the year award 8 times which is by far more than anybody else with 1 coming with the Jays.
    Bobby is also the only manager to win the MLB award in back to back seasons.