Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The mess in Syria

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,782 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CK86 View Post
    The problem with the article is simply because of the source - infowars. It's hard to take anything sourced by them seriously.
    Haha. But it was sourced 9 months ago. And what they said would happen has happened!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Haha. But it was sourced 9 months ago. And what they said would happen has happened!
    Some of what they report has legitimacy to it don't get me wrong. It's just more often than not, everything they report upon is part of some vast conspiracy.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    So basically we're going to be fighting on Al Qaeda's side on this. Cool....
    Against Hezbollah. Foreign policying is hard, innit?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (08-28-2013), jpx7 (08-29-2013), weso1 (08-27-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    There's zero evidence that is true. If they just said that "Syria will use chemical weapons" then it would be true. But they said that the US would be behind its use. There's no evidence of that.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    There's zero evidence that is true. If they just said that "Syria will use chemical weapons" then it would be true. But they said that the US would be behind its use. There's no evidence of that.
    I mean it would have been impossible to forsee a dictator doing everything possible to hold onto power right?

Infowars knew it from the beginning! If they print it...it has to be right!
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Supposedly there's a poll from Reuters saying 91% of those polled were against another war. So glad we're going to attack!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I mean it would have been impossible to forsee a dictator doing everything possible to hold onto power right?
    To be fair, it makes absolutely zero sense for Assad to use chemical weapons given he knows that it'll likely bring about US military involvement. If he uses the weapons, he's guaranteed to be gone from power. It makes no sense for him or his administration to use them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    To be fair, it makes absolutely zero sense for Assad to use chemical weapons given he knows that it'll likely bring about US military involvement. If he uses the weapons, he's guaranteed to be gone from power. It makes no sense for him or his administration to use them.
    While that might be true, dictators in power don't always make rationale decisions. Maybe he feels the backing of China/Russia is enough to avoid conflict with other powers. Maybe he was instructed to do it from other powers in the region to draw the Western Powers in. We have no clue what is going on and for infowars to assume they do is foolish. Of course, tin foil guys are going to believe WHATEVER INFOWARS SAYS!
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I agree with that, but you can't go from that to... well Obama and the US must be behind it.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I agree with that, but you can't go from that to... well Obama and the US must be behind it.
    I agree it's quite the leap. With that said, I do find it unusual though with how quick they're reacting to it. It seems like they're approaching it as if this is their window of opportunity and they have to take it or they won't get a chance again. That part makes me feel a bit uneasy aside from the fact I just hate going to war in general.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Kind of hilarious that this violence has been going on in Syria for roughly 2 years and every few months we're "closer" to stepping in, and now it seems like now is the time.
    Forever Fredi

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    This will likely start a world war. US, France, and Britan are all lining up against Russia, China, Syria, and Iran. It is going to be a mess.
    I think we should start a Chopcountry wiki just to track all the predictions people make.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-29-2013), Julio3000 (08-28-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I agree it's quite the leap. With that said, I do find it unusual though with how quick they're reacting to it. It seems like they're approaching it as if this is their window of opportunity and they have to take it or they won't get a chance again. That part makes me feel a bit uneasy aside from the fact I just hate going to war in general.
    I don't want any part of a war but most of the Western Powers have been consistent in saying that if Assad used chemical weapons they would step in.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Hans Blix said yesterday there is not indisputable proof Assad used chemical weapons. There are still tissue samples that have not been verified. According to him attacking Syria based on these reports would be premature and unwise.

Hans Blix nailed Iraq by pleading for patience and verification

Even more alarming are the cyber attacks that the Syrian Intelligence Army (Anonymous) have executed the past few days shutting down NYT and Twitter at will.
    This is how Syria will retaliate if attacked and we apparently have no answer for that. Certainly not bombs
    Last edited by 57Brave; 08-28-2013 at 07:04 AM.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    I don't see it starting a war, I see this leading to a cluster****. I imagine Syria will play out like Egypt: The evil regime will be replaced by a radical element of Islam, the people will then be worse off and a few years from now the people will have to rise up with foreign military help to be as free as they were in 2010.

Makes one wonder. What if the US had bit the bullet and helped the people of Iran overthrow Thier gov't, when the people rallied a few years back. Would that in turn made the Mideast safer knowing that Iran runs and trains a lot of the bad guys and those scenarios would had been thrown out of the window a few years back? Would current Egypt, Lebanon, iraq and Syria be safer if Iran was out if the picture? I think so

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-28-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    The real mistake was invading Iraq. The US should have went into Iran instead.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    you make good points but I'm not sure that short of overthrowing the Ayatollahs we could have helped.
    We are not overthrowing the Ayatollahs.

That, is an historical fact

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    The real mistake was invading Iraq. The US should have went into Iran instead.
    The real mistake goes back to WWI where we sided with the British Middle Eastern policy of taking over so they could have free/cheap oil to run their Navy vs Germany.

But of course Britain has a long-long history of trying to conquer the ME

23. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-28-2013)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    I don't see it starting a war, I see this leading to a cluster****. I imagine Syria will play out like Egypt: The evil regime will be replaced by a radical element of Islam, the people will then be worse off and a few years from now the people will have to rise up with foreign military help to be as free as they were in 2010.

Makes one wonder. What if the US had bit the bullet and helped the people of Iran overthrow Thier gov't, when the people rallied a few years back. Would that in turn made the Mideast safer knowing that Iran runs and trains a lot of the bad guys and those scenarios would had been thrown out of the window a few years back? Would current Egypt, Lebanon, iraq and Syria be safer if Iran was out if the picture? I think so
    Doing that in the 50s really made the ME a better place #Thosewhocannotrememberthepastarecondemnedtorepeat it
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

25. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-28-2013)