Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The mess in Syria

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I mean it would have been impossible to forsee a dictator doing everything possible to hold onto power right?

Infowars knew it from the beginning! If they print it...it has to be right!
    You're right... Just another coincidence.

If you watch that first video I pm'd you a few weeks back, it explains why Syria is a trigger point for us.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    The real mistake was invading Iraq. The US should have went into Iran instead.
    Last edited by goldfly; 08-28-2013 at 07:58 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

Metaphysicist (08-28-2013)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    I don't see it starting a war, I see this leading to a cluster****. I imagine Syria will play out like Egypt: The evil regime will be replaced by a radical element of Islam, the people will then be worse off and a few years from now the people will have to rise up with foreign military help to be as free as they were in 2010.

Makes one wonder. What if the US had bit the bullet and helped the people of Iran overthrow Thier gov't, when the people rallied a few years back. Would that in turn made the Mideast safer knowing that Iran runs and trains a lot of the bad guys and those scenarios would had been thrown out of the window a few years back? Would current Egypt, Lebanon, iraq and Syria be safer if Iran was out if the picture? I think so
    It worked soo well last time

LET'S DO IT AGAIN!!!!!

no way any blow back could happen

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    The real mistake was invading Iraq. The US should have went into Iran instead.
    Yeah, occupying Iraq was too easy. We should've invaded a bigger, stronger, better developed country with more influence over global oil supply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Yeah, occupying Iraq was too easy. We should've invaded a bigger, stronger, better developed country with more influence over global oil supply.
    It was a **** show with Iraq either way. Neither was easy. The invasion and overthrow of the government is the easy part. Iran was basically the resistance anyway in Iraq. MIght as well have fought that was in Iran.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    You're right... Just another coincidence.

If you watch that first video I pm'd you a few weeks back, it explains why Syria is a trigger point for us.
    I did watch the video and you could argue that any country is a possible trigger. You believe that all of these video's prove something. It is again just other peoples opinion. You know where I stand. I believe the government is just a puppet for the wealthy of the world. They are not going to distrub the status quo that much. They are making money hand over fist.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    I did watch the video and you could argue that any country is a possible trigger. You believe that all of these video's prove something. It is again just other peoples opinion. You know where I stand. I believe the government is just a puppet for the wealthy of the world. They are not going to distrub the status quo that much. They are making money hand over fist.
    You're right. But Syria and Iran are disturbing the status quo by threatening to to not trade oil in US dollars. We aren't going to have that, so we will go fight them (just like all of our wars). This one is a big deal though because China and Russia have made it clear that they will get involved if we strike.

Our economy won't be able to sustain and global war and the oil supply being choked off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    You're right. But Syria and Iran are disturbing the status quo by threatening to to not trade oil in US dollars. We aren't going to have that, so we will go fight them (just like all of our wars). This one is a big deal though because China and Russia have made it clear that they will get involved if we strike.

Our economy won't be able to sustain and global war and the oil supply being choked off
    I'm not saying that I don't believe a war is going to happen. I am just saying that I don't want it if its just the US. If this is a global effort with ACTUAL dedication from other countries then I wouldn't hate it as much. What we can't have is another US only invasion and occupation. That would be disastrous. The other western powers of the world can't just rely on America to fix all of their issues. Its ridiculous already. I wish that people weren't dying by the thousands in Syria but that is not our problem.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Great discussion.

(1) I agree with Krgrecw that this is a clusterf*ck and it is pretty much any way you look at it. When Al Queda is fighting Hezbollah, you get into all this "enemy of my enemy is my friend" dynamic and it's extremely difficult to build a consistent foreign policy based on that.

(2) Winston Churchill supposedly bragged that he "created the Middle East with the stroke of a pen" or something to that effect. Thanks England. America has had imperial traits since the mid-19th century (perhaps even earlier given the words of the War Hawks prior to and during the War of 1812), but it looks like we took our Masters' level courses from the British. zito is right. When the CIA overthrew Mossadegh and replaced him with the Shah, the US pretty much lost any legitimacy in dealing with Iran. What I get a kick out of more than anything else when modern political problems are discussed, Americans tend (often with great validity) to invoke a 220-year-old document and at the same time forget what other earth-shattering events have happened in other countries since that time.

(3) I have been disappointed with Obama regarding the Middle East, but I frankly don't know what he could have done differently. Straddling the fence and trying to be consistent are often mutually exclusive and it has resulted in dithering that has created a being that is neither fish nor fowl. I wish we would just stay out of the whole mess, but power abhors a vacuum and with Russia seemingly wanting to assume the role of a major player here, I suppose the brain wizards at State and NSA believe that something (anything) must be done. Paging Otto von Bismarck.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

57Brave (08-28-2013), bravesnumberone (08-28-2013), Julio3000 (08-28-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I don't want any part of a war but most of the Western Powers have been consistent in saying that if Assad used chemical weapons they would step in.
    No evidence so far that it was Assad.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

57Brave (08-28-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    No evidence so far that it was Assad.
    thethe will tell you that the evidence is that the government told us he did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    thethe will tell you that the evidence is that the government told us he did.
    And you'll say infowars told you. But, as I have told you numerous times I don't even believe the government has any power.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    And you'll say infowars told you. But, as I have told you numerous times I don't even believe the government has any power.
    No. The government and the media told me.

Infowars reported 8 months ago that leaked documents said the government will back a scheme to blame the Syrian government on a chemical weapons attack. It's not my fault (or Infowars) that is how it played out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    No. The government and the media told me.

Infowars reported 8 months ago that leaked documents said the government will back a scheme to blame the Syrian government on a chemical weapons attack. It's not my fault (or Infowars) that is how it played out.
    So you have proof that the government backed a scheme or just speculation?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    So you have proof that the government backed a scheme or just speculation?
    Of course there is no proof. But isn't it at least a little odd that it was reported 8 months ago that they would, and then the events unfolded? No of course not!!!

But there is certainly no proof that Assad did it, and a country who didn't have an underlying agenda would probably exhaust all efforts to prove that he did before starting another war, wouldn't you think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Of course there is no proof. But isn't it at least a little odd that it was reported 8 months ago that they would, and then the events unfolded? No of course not!!!

But there is certainly no proof that Assad did it, and a country who didn't have an underlying agenda would probably exhaust all efforts to prove that he did before starting another war, wouldn't you think?
    So its ok for you to believe something if there is no proof but if I do I'm a sheep?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    I just don't understand why we're in such a hurry to begin another war. Obama the presidential candidate said in 2007 there's no excuse for not getting congressional approval prior to war. Yet now President Obama is doing the exact same thing as Bush did in the lead up to Iraq. Why???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CK86 View Post
    I just don't understand why we're in such a hurry to begin another war. Obama the presidential candidate said in 2007 there's no excuse for not getting congressional approval prior to war. Yet now President Obama is doing the exact same thing as Bush did in the lead up to Iraq. Why???
    Its madness. Last thing this country needs is a war where we do all teh work. Let the rest of the world worry about that. All out war is a thing of the past. Everything should be small skirmishes now.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    So its ok for you to believe something if there is no proof but if I do I'm a sheep?
    No. I'm saying it's not ok for a country to rush into a war based on evidence-less claims. And I'm also saying that it should be alarming at potential evidence that this is a scheme to justify starting another war.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    No. I'm saying it's not ok for a country to rush into a war based on evidence-less claims. And I'm also saying that it should be alarming at potential evidence that this is a scheme to justify starting another war.
    I agree but you didn't say it like it was potential evidence. You said it as if it were a fact. And thats fine, you are obviously allowed to believe whatever you want.

I think it looks highly suspect as well. I could see reasons why Assad would and wouldn't do it. I think everything that goes on is way above anything that we can understand or anyone from inforwars can understand. We will never know the truth. Some will believe what they want.
    Natural Immunity Croc