Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    In Alabama Senate race, Republicans fear they may lose even if Roy Moore wins

"
    From their perspective, Tuesday will yield one of two unhappy results.

Either voters will elect a Democratic U.S. senator from one of the most deeply conservative states in the country, slicing the GOP's slender majority to a bare 51 to 49; or the Republican Party will seat Roy Moore, an accused sexual predator with a history of outlandish statements who, if Democrats have their way, will effectively serve as running mate for every Republican seeking office in 2018.

With President Trump forcefully backing Moore, "it gives Democrats the ability to drive a narrative that starts with the president and runs through the United States Senate about what the Republican Party stands for," said Matt David, a GOP consultant. "That's defending accused pedophiles and embracing conspiracy theories."
    "
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    You identify as a progressive and you are railing on people trying to change America? Thats the very definition of what you believe in. If anything, people like Moore want to keep America what is was and what made us get to this level. And before you do it no this doesn't meant hat we are going back to slavery but I'm sure you'll make this emotional argument.
    i don't know if i have ever labeled myself as a progressive

left leaning libertarian sure

secularist, again sure

some friends and i joke that i'm the most capitalist communist ever to point out that it depends on the topic to where i fall on political spectrum but i digress

not that i have a problem with progressivism overall but what you are describing isn't that

i'm not sure what dots are you are trying to connect at the end but it seems like rubbish

what the orange dotard is doing isn't changing america in anyway that is close to progressive and it should be laughed at for you trying to say that

but as i said with [MENTION=266]Hawk[/MENTION] and maybe others, the odd thing with this idiot in chief is that he could actually bridge the gap and bring people to together if he tried but he either is too stupid or just doesn't care to do that. I guess it could be both though as well
    Last edited by goldfly; 12-11-2017 at 01:02 AM.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

Hawk (12-10-2017), jpx7 (12-11-2017)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I admire your optimism. Republicans were never held accountable for being dragged, kicking and screaming, into modernity by reluctantly 'accepting' gay marriage. If that didn't meaningfully tarnish their brand then I don't see how Moore's stance (at least with respect to this issue) will. Notwithstanding the fact that nobody is talking about Moore's fundamental ideologies - at all. Also notwithstanding my belief that a significant number of Republicans would turn tail on the issue of gay marriage if the political opportunity presented itself.

That certainly makes sense given that the only thing which was ever going to knock Moore off the pedestal was something akin to a major crime. Nevertheless, I think dragging all of his wackadoodle ideologies onto a national scale and litigating them vis-à-vis the GOP platform/party would've been the more effective route. Alabama was a lost cause from the beginning, for Democrats, but highlighting basic moral superiority on the national scale was a battle that they could have been fought, and probably won, IMO.
    The moral high ground certainly hasn't helped in Alabama recently. Their governor got embroiled in a sex scandal and traded the Senate appointment to the guy who had taken over investigating him. Their House speaker got re-elected under a multi-count corruption indictment. Now Roy Moore is probably going to win despite being ... well, everything that he is even before taking his alleged Lolita thing into account.

I don't think it's going away, though. Every Republican who hasn't distanced themself from him is going to be answering questions about their support for a guy who thinks that everything beyond the 10th Amendment is superfluous and that homosexuality should be criminal and that federal court orders are optional and that women shouldn't hold office for, er, biblical reasons (he apparently worked with a non-profit on developing "educational" materials that asserted thus). He's poison and the national Rs would win by losing in this case, but they've apparently decided to bet on the short run... which probably indicates that they think they're ****ed in 2018 regardless.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-11-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    btw to amend to the end there of my last post

i do think a few years ago with the things he said about President Obama and when he started down that path, he reached a point of no return of bringing a lot into the fold even if he was to reach across and try to bring people together

and he only has his himself and his vitriol to blame for that
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

9. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-11-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    This race has become a must win for the GOP if they have any hope of advancing their agenda through the Senate. Given how gutless they have been in doing so, I think I agree with them that it isn't worth it. They've had Trump out front with a huge bullseye on his back literally begging them to go big while he takes the hits, but they still won't do it. They've wasted what may have been their last best chance for a long time.

Regardless, I couldn't vote for Moore.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-11-2017), jpx7 (12-11-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    How would y'all feel if Roy Moore used black slave labor at the governor's mansion to keep costs down? That the kind of person you would vote for?
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    You have said numerous times America has been evil globally. So I'm guessing you agree with him right?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    This race has become a must win for the GOP if they have any hope of advancing their agenda through the Senate. Given how gutless they have been in doing so, I think I agree with them that it isn't worth it. They've had Trump out front with a huge bullseye on his back literally begging them to go big while he takes the hits, but they still won't do it. They've wasted what may have been their last best chance for a long time.

Regardless, I couldn't vote for Moore.

They are a party that knows how to be an opposition party. They aren't a governing party. They don't know how and are riddled with rot.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    They are a party that knows how to be an opposition party. They aren't a governing party. They don't know how and are riddled with rot.
    Well put!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    They have a small remnant that remembers what it is to be a governing party. And many of them have decided it is time to retire. One can only hope that from the ashes a phoenix will rise.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    They have a small remnant that remembers what it is to be a governing party. And many of them have decided it is time to retire. One can only hope that from the ashes a phoenix will rise.

I'm disillusioned and have no party home. I suppose I can try to hope that...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I'm disillusioned and have no party home. I suppose I can try to hope that...
    Join the club. I'm politically homeless too. I can't imagine registering as a Democrat. So I'm an independent for the time being. Its not the worst thing in the world, but it would be nice to have a party that I felt most of my views were aligned with.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-11-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Just make sure you two don't vote for any unicorns

22. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-11-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    You have said numerous times America has been evil globally. So I'm guessing you agree with him right?
    because of me believing and knowing of some horrible things we have done in the world

i also understand geopolitics and that sometimes your hands have to get dirty etc etc

but that doesn't in anyway back up your false equivalency

or the bull**** distraction of changing the topic or attempting to spin it to an unrelated matter (ie me)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    because of me believing and knowing of some horrible things we have done in the world

i also understand geopolitics and that sometimes your hands have to get dirty etc etc

but that doesn't in anyway back up your false equivalency

or the bull**** distraction of changing the topic or attempting to spin it to an unrelated matter (ie me)
    Is what he said a fact in your eyes or not?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Is what he said a fact in your eyes or not?
    not

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    not
    Suddenly changing a belief you've had since I've been posting on these boards. At the very least that's 12 years so I assume you've held that belief for your whole life

You're that willing to change your view on such a strongly held belief because of the person that agrees with it?