Page 863 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 3637638138538618628638648658739139631363 ... LastLast
Results 17,241 to 17,260 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I’m not even sure what this first paragraph means.

As for the second bit, you’re barking up the wrong tree. Nothing says “everybody is racist” like saying “this guy who socializes with literal neo-Nazis and jokes about a ‘Jew-free space’ is racist.”

An animating energy of Trumpism is white status anxiety. I don’t know how one could deny this with a straight face. You could chop up voter data that finds certain attitudes towards race correlative with support for Trump (as has been done repeatedly) or you could just, I dunno, watch Fox News and get the latest on “unwanted demographic change” and the plight of white farmers in South Africa.

Racism is inextricably intertwined with that side of the political spectrum, and I could literally spend days providing concrete evidence for why that’s the case. You don’t exactly help that case when, instead of just acknowledging the poison and differentiating yourself from it, you spend your energy dismissing and deflecting and suggesting that calling people racist is the real problem.
    If you don't think i understand that white supremacy racism exists, you are naive. I also understand anti-white racism exists, but you couldn't give a **** about that.

But, when Charlotesville happened, it was me saying "why do we give a **** about these losers? Let's ignore them and let them circle jerk in their white sheets together"

It was you saying "LOOK HOW RACIST THE COUNTRY IS AHHHHHHHHHH"

I am much less concerned about neo-nazis than I am about people who spend their whole lives trying to even scores and ensure dependency is never broken.

-------------

If we go back to slave times... there were people who made the argument that blacks were better off as slaves because they weren't capable of being successful on their own.

I don't see a lot a difference today's mentality.

We need to treat people as individuals and give them the liberty to succeed or fail on their own decisions. But go ahead... call me a racist

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (09-01-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    No one ever accused trump of being racist until he ran for the presidency. There’s plenty of pictures of him accepting awards for the work he’s done for/with minorities

When did trump become racist?
    Writing a check or posing for a few pictures doesn't constitute "work".

Just when Trump's worm turned and he became the 'public stain on all that is decent' is a fair question. I would guess that underneath the overly coiffed do and starched shirts he was always this way. But when he realized that he needed the vote of this segment of society is when he showed the full Monty.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

Tell me again, who is racist?
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/28/u...sing-race.html

http://fortune.com/2016/06/07/donald...racism-quotes/
    Last edited by 57Brave; 09-01-2018 at 04:52 AM.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    alright Hawk, here we go again>

I am still confused over which idiom of the verb to plead should be used.
    There was this feed:

Lobbyist W. Samuel Patten pleaded guilty Friday to acting as an unregistered foreign lobbyist,

and admitted to lying to the Senate Intelligence Committee and

funneling a Ukrainian oligarch's money to Donald Trump's

Presidential Inaugural Committee

Had I been the editor I would have published Samuel Patten pled (plead ?) guilty.

Below the picture of Patten was this:

Lobbyist pleads guilty, says he helped

steer foreign money to Trump

inaugural and lied to Congress

Tell me if I am wrong, "pleads" indicates present tense and apparently the news report was in real time

????
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    If you don't think i understand that white supremacy racism exists, you are naive. I also understand anti-white racism exists, but you couldn't give a **** about that.

But, when Charlotesville happened, it was me saying "why do we give a **** about these losers? Let's ignore them and let them circle jerk in their white sheets together"

It was you saying "LOOK HOW RACIST THE COUNTRY IS AHHHHHHHHHH"

I am much less concerned about neo-nazis than I am about people who spend their whole lives trying to even scores and ensure dependency is never broken.

-------------

If we go back to slave times... there were people who made the argument that blacks were better off as slaves because they weren't capable of being successful on their own.

I don't see a lot a difference today's mentality.

We need to treat people as individuals and give them the liberty to succeed or fail on their own decisions. But go ahead... call me a racist
    I did post quite a bit about Charlottesville, and even more about the issue of confederate monuments. One of the reasons I did so was because a fair number of folks were defending participation in the UTR festivities...which were organized by white supremacists and neo-Nazis, featuring speakers who are white supremacists and neo-Nazis, and which resulted in at least charges of murder, attempted murder, and assault. Heather Heyer was murdered. Deandre Harris was beaten within an inch of his life. A klansman fired a gun at counter protestors.

My point was that normalizing or excusing participation in this thing is massively problematic and abetting white supremacy. If you want to characterize that as “OMG America is so racist” ... um, whatever. America has a horrifically racist past and an uncomfortably racist present. I’d invite you to disprove that.

Your POV is that we should have collectively ignored that. Does that include the murder? Why do you ask that we ignore Charlottesville but insist that we pay attention to every anti-PC post or dumb social media quote or supposedly racist double standard that you contribute here? It’s a strange take, honestly.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (09-02-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    The Secretary of the County Republican Committee of Beaver Co, PA posted on Facebook about “over paid blacks” (i.e. NFL protesters) being “baboons” who should try living in Africa.

This is something we should ignore, because the REAL problem is . . .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (09-02-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    The Secretary of the County Republican Committee of Beaver Co, PA posted on Facebook about “over paid blacks” (i.e. NFL protesters) being “baboons” who should try living in Africa.

This is something we should ignore, because the REAL problem is . . .
    No, that's an obvious case of racism that should be criticized. No reasonable person is going to have a problem with that.

Those same reasonable people will have a problem with it when you call the enforcement of immigration law racist. Most people who break immigration law are of the same ethnicity*, but that is a function of geography, not racism or the law.

*Our government years ago deemed Hispanics to be members of the "White" race, but the Hispanic ethnicity, so that the White race will still be considered a majority.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    And “freedom” lover thinks the left is nasty

Last edited by goldfly; 09-01-2018 at 01:59 PM.
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    Coulter is a bafoon.

But th media slobbering over a war mongerer is not to be unexpected

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Looks like you all haven't changed a bit. :-) Take care!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    No, that's an obvious case of racism that should be criticized. No reasonable person is going to have a problem with that.

Those same reasonable people will have a problem with it when you call the enforcement of immigration law racist. Most people who break immigration law are of the same ethnicity*, but that is a function of geography, not racism or the law.

*Our government years ago deemed Hispanics to be members of the "White" race, but the Hispanic ethnicity, so that the White race will still be considered a majority.
    I think that, say, the family separation policy is transparently racist. You’re taking kids from their parents and putting them in detention based on the parents’ commission of a misdemeanor offense. As these folks are, as you say, “of the same ethnicity,” and they’re experiencing dehumanizing treatment, I’m not sure I see the case for it not being de facto racist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    I think that, say, the family separation policy is transparently racist. You’re taking kids from their parents and putting them in detention based on the parents’ commission of a misdemeanor offense. As these folks are, as you say, “of the same ethnicity,” and they’re experiencing dehumanizing treatment, I’m not sure I see the case for it not being de facto racist.
    Weird I didn't hear about this in 2014

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Weird I didn't hear about this in 2014
    Better check your sources, boss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Short form: the DHS, under Trump, enacted a “zero tolerance” policy that aims at a prosecution rate of 100% (as opposed to ~20% under Obama). For families caught in that net, the policy is separation. That’s new. Previous policy was that families that were in detention remained together.

I mean, that in itself sucks. But it’s arguably a more humane approach.

The photos of kids in detention under Obama that you and others crowed over were a result of the huge influx of unaccompanied minors from South America. So yeah, it still sucks, but it wasn’t a question of separating those kids from their families. It had already been done.

I’m not arguing that immigration detention policies were good then and bad now. I’m arguing that they were bad then and absolutely horrific now, and currently being driven by nativist and racist sentiment which undeniably has a home amongst the presidents base, and his Administration.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    So we are treating illegal Scandinavian and Asian immigrants differently than the illegal Hispanic immigrants? Or you're calling it racist because most of the illegal immigrants are of the same ethnicity?
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    So we are treating illegal Scandinavian and Asian immigrants differently than the illegal Hispanic immigrants? Or you're calling it racist because most of the illegal immigrants are of the same ethnicity?
    Well, first I’d ask you if you think the policy of family separation is morally defensible. Then I’d ask you to find me an example of a Scandinavian kid in a chain-link cage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    correct me if I'm wrong but it was Donald Trump who said a judge couldn't be impartial due to his Mexican ancestry...is that racist?
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    Short form: the DHS, under Trump, enacted a “zero tolerance” policy that aims at a prosecution rate of 100% (as opposed to ~20% under Obama). For families caught in that net, the policy is separation. That’s new. Previous policy was that families that were in detention remained together.

I mean, that in itself sucks. But it’s arguably a more humane approach.

The photos of kids in detention under Obama that you and others crowed over were a result of the huge influx of unaccompanied minors from South America. So yeah, it still sucks, but it wasn’t a question of separating those kids from their families. It had already been done.

I’m not arguing that immigration detention policies were good then and bad now. I’m arguing that they were bad then and absolutely horrific now, and currently being driven by nativist and racist sentiment which undeniably has a home amongst the presidents base, and his Administration.
    So Obama was 20% racist and Trump is 100%.

Don't y'all ever get tired of this one?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Well, first I’d ask you if you think the policy of family separation is morally defensible. Then I’d ask you to find me an example of a Scandinavian kid in a chain-link cage.
    The policy is absolutely reprehensible. I would have made them fire me before I would have enforced it if I worked for Border Patrol. I can't understand people who would do that to kids, or what their parents were thinking when it happened. It's disturbing.
    As for the example of a Scandinavian kid, it doesn't fit the narrative so we won't know if it's out there or not. Just like we didn't see the cage photos from the Obama years until they were used to ding Trump. But I suspect they don't exist or rarely exist due to geography.
    Go get him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    correct me if I'm wrong but it was Donald Trump who said a judge couldn't be impartial due to his Mexican ancestry...is that racist?
    Of course it is.
    Go get him!