Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: LOL at the Fast Food Strike

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    It's not a scenario... I'm legitamely asking if YOU know the negative impacts such a scenario would play. Do you?
    so

it isn't a scenario

but if you question was to happen and thus be a scenario, what are my thoughts?

not really sure how it isn't a scenario but it could have negative impacts in such a scenario but whatever

since we all think raising it to 50 bucks is dumb, i am not sure why you keep hammering away and acting like we came up with that number

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    I'm asking you to explain why $50/hr is dumb.

I agree. But I want to know WHY that is a bad move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

you want me to explain to you, your scenario?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-15-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    A few questions:

1. Which of those countries has the best economy?

2. Do you think this ratio is because of the federal reserve?

3. Do you think the banking system plays a role in this?

4. Do you think the fed's QE's play a role in this?

5. Do you think the federal government's insistence on corporate welfare plays a role in this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    you want me to explain to you, your scenario?
    I'm actually giving up on your because you're too stupid to understand basic economics. Clearly you don't understand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    I'm actually giving up on your because you're too stupid to understand basic economics. Clearly you don't understand.
    you're right

i don't understand why you want me to explain your bs scenario to you when it is has been agreed on to being a dumb idea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    you're right

i don't understand why you want me to explain your bs scenario to you when it is has been agreed on to being a dumb idea
    LOL. I'm asking WHY it's a bad idea. I think it's hilarious you can't answer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    LOL. I'm asking WHY it's a bad idea. I think it's hilarious you can't answer.
    i don't care to actually answer a made up scenario of some road you for some reason want to go down

if i thought minimum wage should be $50 dollars

i would go down the road with ya

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    The road I'm going down, if it's not obvious enough, is that raising the minimum wage, at some point, would have disastrous economic effects. Where is that point?

You guys think we'll be fine with rise of inflation. I disagree. Maybe you're right. Maybe I'm right. Considering that everyone agrees that there is a tipping point, we shouldn't just carelessly say "the guy who sweeps the foyer is just as valuable as the guy who sells the car"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    that is not what i said about the guy sweeping the floor.
    I said if one deserves a "living wage" why not the other.

Never mentioned value - never meant value- rarely see things in terms of value.
    Just not my style when discussing abstracts

please stop putting words in my mouth

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Saying the minimum wage should be indexed to inflation is one thing, but that doesn't answer the question of just what the minimum wage should be in actual dollars. Which is where the question of "why not $50" comes from. There's always a trade off that has to be made, so where do you make it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    i might could get behind this

but i am sure there are some 16 and 17 year olds out there working to support their siblings etc
    File for exceptions in these circumstances? I think this would be a good compromise. Australia does this by the way, which is where I got the idea.
    thank you weso1!

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    I'm just waiting for someone to just step up and say $50/hr is bad idea because businesses would be unwilling to pay those wages.
    Businesses that require human workers and don't want to break the law will pay those wages, even if they hate it. As I said, this will lead to massive inflation, since prices would have to skyrocket to compensate. I'm sure other businesses would seek other solutions to move away from needing actual people, likely spurring new innovations.

This isn't a relevant comparison to a living wage.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

goldfly (12-14-2013), jpx7 (12-15-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts

Why don't you just make your own point instead of this faux-Socratic nonsense?

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

goldfly (12-14-2013), jpx7 (12-15-2013), Julio3000 (12-14-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Saying the minimum wage should be indexed to inflation is one thing, but that doesn't answer the question of just what the minimum wage should be in actual dollars. Which is where the question of "why not $50" comes from. There's always a trade off that has to be made, so where do you make it?
    Calculating the actual, most effective wage would be a job for real life economists, not pretend message board ones. There is surely be an efficiency bell curve that could be drawn up by including all the relevant effects, and then you set the wage at the peak. For all you moonbat libertarians, just image a Laffer curve, only using wage effectiveness instead of tax revenue effectiveness.

This has basically already been done in the sections of the country where living wages have already been implemented. As a fake message board economist, I'd say national rates should probably follow that research and be in the 9-12 range. But IANAE.
    Last edited by Metaphysicist; 12-13-2013 at 11:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Amazing that people with no skills can demand more compensation for their mindless work. Got to love the mindset of this country.
    Mindless work? It is real work that you are disparaging. It's making sure the food gets cooked properly, it's making sure it's packaged properly, it's making sure the drive-thru runs smoothly, it's keeping things spotless, it's working the cash register, it's keeping orders straight, and many, many other things that you think are mindless. Let's see....if you go into McDonalds and are not served in a timely manner, or don't get your food cooked quickly and properly are you going to be happy? I bet not. If a person works 8 hours a day, standing most of the time, dealing with some nasty condescending customers, and doing their best....they deserve a living wage. And those of you who don't do any research...most fast food workers are not promoted or given yearly raises. The average age of a fast food worker is 29, and we subsidized many of those workers with food stamps and other assistance, while McDonalds get's tax breaks all over the place. We pay for those too...like we do with Walmart. We are PAYING, while corporations make billions of dollars in free money.
    http://money.msn.com/now/post--mcdon...only-low-rungs

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kendiz For This Useful Post:

57Brave (12-14-2013), goldfly (12-14-2013), jpx7 (12-14-2013), Julio3000 (12-14-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kendiz View Post
    Mindless work? It is real work that you are disparaging. It's making sure the food gets cooked properly, it's making sure it's packaged properly, it's making sure the drive-thru runs smoothly, it's keeping things spotless, it's working the cash register, it's keeping orders straight, and many, many other things that you think are mindless. Let's see....if you go into McDonalds and are not served in a timely manner, or don't get your food cooked quickly and properly are you going to be happy? I bet not. If a person works 8 hours a day, standing most of the time, dealing with some nasty condescending customers, and doing their best....they deserve a living wage. And those of you who don't do any research...most fast food workers are not promoted or given yearly raises. The average age of a fast food worker is 29, and we subsidized many of those workers with food stamps and other assistance, while McDonalds get's tax breaks all over the place. We pay for those too...like we do with Walmart. We are PAYING, while corporations make billions of dollars in free money.
    http://money.msn.com/now/post--mcdon...only-low-rungs
    You're taking what thethe said too literally. All he and others are saying is that these are jobs in which workers can be replaced by virtually anyone in the workforce. They require no special skills. I don't really get why some aren't admitting this. It's ok to say that a job is a bottom of the rung job. You can't advance the conversation forward if you don't admit this, especially when some people on this board ignorantly accuse those they disagree with of hating minimum wage workers.

Is it not reasonable to just say... ok you are right that these are bottom of the rung jobs, but it's best for the country to raise minimum wage and here's why...
    thank you weso1!

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    You're taking what thethe said too literally. All he and others are saying is that these are jobs in which workers can be replaced by virtually anyone in the workforce. They require no special skills. I don't really get why some aren't admitting this. It's ok to say that a job is a bottom of the rung job. You can't advance the conversation forward if you don't admit this, especially when some people on this board ignorantly accuse those they disagree with of hating minimum wage workers.

Is it not reasonable to just say... ok you are right that these are bottom of the rung jobs, but it's best for the country to raise minimum wage and here's why...
    Respectfully, Weso, that is NOT all he and the others are saying.