Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves Sign Teheran to 6 year extension

Called Up to the Major Leagues AUTiger7222's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    This is such a steal for the Braves. Even if Julio Teheran never gets any better than what he was in 2013, he will have more than earned what he is getting. There is no negative to be found here. The only people that are wanting to find a negative in this deal are the people that want to bitch about everything.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AUTiger7222 For This Useful Post:

Heyward (02-14-2014)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AUTiger7222 View Post
    This is such a steal for the Braves. Even if Julio Teheran never gets any better than what he was in 2013, he will have more than earned what he is getting. There is no negative to be found here. The only people that are wanting to find a negative in this deal are the people that want to bitch about everything.
    There is a negative. He could be consistently hurt or he could go Rick Ankiel. Never know. That said playing on projection, it's smart.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-17-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    There is a negative. He could be consistently hurt or he could go Rick Ankiel. Never know. That said playing on projection, it's smart.
    You can say that about every single contract signed in MLB. There is always risk with every contract.

I like the deal, hope we can do more of them.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    No, I don't make that deal. I mean let me put it this way, it would be a bargain deal for us most likely. But considering he has 5 years until FA that is way too Simmons friendly. Especially since defense peaks early, if he doesn't start hitting we may have already seen the best of him. I don't believe that but that would be a super risky signing for the Braves.

7/50 would be more friendly as it would basically mean 1M for his pre-arb then say 4, 7 and 10 for arb and then basically 28 for his FA years. Undervaluing his pre-arb most likely but that's more or less how you have tothink of the deal. 7/65 would be like 1M for pre arb 5 10 15 and then 35 for FA. And no way in hell is he worth that on the market. If he thinks he is then he can leave in a few years.
    Given how ridiculous FA is, yes he would be.

Letting him go over a few extra million is dumb.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,763 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gtcway View Post
    You can say that about every single contract signed in MLB. There is always risk with every contract.

I like the deal, hope we can do more of them.
    I'd rather have a position player go on the DL 1 or 2 times and miss 30 games, than have a pitcher be out for 1 calendar year for an elbow or 8-10 months for shoulder. Pitcher contracts are always riskier, and the fact that the Braves tried to make him change his mechanics because they saw it was vulnerable to injury, and then gave up and reverted back to his bad mechanics worries me.

I wouldn't have a problem giving Wood or Minor this deal, Teheran worries me.
    Forever Fredi

8. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (02-14-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Given how ridiculous FA is, yes he would be.

Letting him go over a few extra million is dumb.
    Holy hell. Let's put it this way, if the going rate for a defensive first (though great mind you) player is 17-22M per year Simmons can gladly leave. Considering there's a bunch of people who can do good for waayyy less.

If you're willing ot pay 17+M for Simmons's first 2 years of FA, then you clearly value him way more than myself (or probably any GM in baseball) or are insane

Consider that Michael Bourn who's not as great of a defender as Simmons but still a GG player (and better offensively because of his speed) and he signed for 4/48.

Playing the Waiting Game keithlaw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    I'd rather have a position player go on the DL 1 or 2 times and miss 30 games, than have a pitcher be out for 1 calendar year for an elbow or 8-10 months for shoulder. Pitcher contracts are always riskier, and the fact that the Braves tried to make him change his mechanics because they saw it was vulnerable to injury, and then gave up and reverted back to his bad mechanics worries me.

Yes, long term contracts to pitchers are more risky than long term contracts to position players, but thats why we got such a ginormous discount on his FA years. From a big picture standpoint, teams should want to do lots of these deals (and smart teams like the Rays, and hopefully us, do) since they can diversify the risk over a large number of contracts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

Wait, you'd be ok giving Wood that deal? He's bound for a few TJs before he's done (unless he's already had one)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

Heyward (02-14-2014), yeezus (02-14-2014)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts

Minor, i can get.

But Wood?

Hasnt he already had TJ before, and his mechanics worry me ****less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Wait, you'd be ok giving Wood that deal? He's bound for a few TJs before he's done (unless he's already had one)
    Yeah, uh, and Wood has proven far less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Wood really intrigues me, but I think he's unfortunately may be heading to Tommy Hanson territory. Sick stuff but injuries ruin him long term.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I love the moves the Braves have done recently. Now we need to lock up Kimbrel bad.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jason27nc View Post
    I love the moves the Braves have done recently. Now we need to lock up Kimbrel bad.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

CJ9 (02-14-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

The good thing with Teheran's contract is it's so low, that even if he missed a year, it's still a bargain. Yes, the Braves are taking a risk, but it's a risk I'm glad they're willing to take.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    519 Posts

It's quite possible that he'd have the cursed TJ, but Wood? Are you kidding? I know you watched the same team I did and Teheran grew right before our eyes. Bad mechanics? Where did that come from? It's no worse than others and he certainly doesn't do anything anymore weird than Wood. I like the deal...bad mechanics? Are there any perfect mechanics now? Great deal. Period. And does it count that Teheran was just as good as Minor or not?

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,763 Posts
    He's already had one, and yes because when Wood started last year, he looked way more comfortable than Teheran did.

I watched Teheran like most of you, and most of his outings it was a struggle just to get to the 5th inning let alone the 6th. It'd be a miracle if he made it to the 5th without already walking a few or getting out of jams like Jorge Sosa. He was already at 80 pitches in the 3rd and 4th inning on plenty occasions. And unlike most of you, I don't see anything special about his fastball and change up. His fastball sits at 92-94 occasionally hitting 95 when he tries to force it, but he has no control over it. The change up has been extremely overrated, especially because Laird claimed whenever he caught Teheran that they were getting his pitches to work. McCann is rated as one of the best pitch callers and frames the ball 20x better than Laird, and Mac and Julio never got on the same page. Laird was obviously hyping up Julio to get some PT as if he was Julio's personal catcher.

I don't see the Pedro comparisons because Pedro's mechanics were very controlled despite looking very wild. Teheran needs to learn to control his fastball first before even trying to worry about the change and curve.

I'm not ready to crown him king yet just because he was rated good in our system. I see legitimate flaws in his game that makes me shake my head that we gave him this money before Medlen, Minor, Simmons, Heyward.
    Forever Fredi

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    For anyone questioning this extension, think about this. Julio Teheran had a higher batting average than Dan Uggla and BJ Upton. The man is a baseball player!!!!!!!!!!

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NinersSBChamps For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (02-15-2014), Heyward (02-15-2014)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    He's already had one, and yes because when Wood started last year, he looked way more comfortable than Teheran did.

I watched Teheran like most of you, and most of his outings it was a struggle just to get to the 5th inning let alone the 6th. It'd be a miracle if he made it to the 5th without already walking a few or getting out of jams like Jorge Sosa. He was already at 80 pitches in the 3rd and 4th inning on plenty occasions. And unlike most of you, I don't see anything special about his fastball and change up. His fastball sits at 92-94 occasionally hitting 95 when he tries to force it, but he has no control over it. The change up has been extremely overrated, especially because Laird claimed whenever he caught Teheran that they were getting his pitches to work. McCann is rated as one of the best pitch callers and frames the ball 20x better than Laird, and Mac and Julio never got on the same page. Laird was obviously hyping up Julio to get some PT as if he was Julio's personal catcher.

I don't see the Pedro comparisons because Pedro's mechanics were very controlled despite looking very wild. Teheran needs to learn to control his fastball first before even trying to worry about the change and curve.

I'm not ready to crown him king yet just because he was rated good in our system. I see legitimate flaws in his game that makes me shake my head that we gave him this money before Medlen, Minor, Simmons, Heyward.
    Medlen will be 30 when he reaches FA, meh.

Simba/JHey/JUp, sure.

Also, it was his first full year as a SP, what were you expecting?

He exceeded most fans expectations imo.

Oh.

After April last year, Teheran had 150 strikeouts and just 37 walks.

Pedro, probably not, but the talent IS there.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,763 Posts
    150 k and 37 walks in one month has to be a record
    Forever Fredi

26. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (02-15-2014)

Called Up to the Major Leagues AUTiger7222's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts

Despite all those things you just said, here are the facts. Julio Teheran was terrible in his first 3 starts of the season. In his next 27 he was great.

27 G, 27 GS (17-10 Braves record), 169 2/3 IP (6 IP per start), 152 H, 56 R, 53 ER, 17 HR, 38 BB, 158 SO, 2.81 ERA, .239/.291/.374 (.665), .290 BABIP, 67% Strikes

So I don't know where you're getting this Jorge Sosa comparison at because the numbers say differently. The numbers say that Julio was dominate after his terrible start to the season.