Thread: Projections for Luiz Gohara - 2018 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Projections for Luiz Gohara - 2018 season

What do we make of Gohara's performance at the big leagues last season?

W L SV G GS IP K/9 BB/9 HR/9 BABIP LOB% GB% HR/FB ERA FIP xFIP WAR

1 3 0 5 5 29.1 9.51 2.45 0.61 .366 61.8 % 35.4 % 5.6 % 4.91 2.75 4.05 1.0

1. The K/9 is actually a bit down from the minor league season but this seems like a reasonable baseball for his performance next year. Prediction: 10
    2. The BB/9 is better than his minor league performance but we chalk this one up to better umpiring. AMRITE? Either way, Gohara seemed to demonstrate excellent control/command on all of his pitches. Again a good baseline but I would expect a little regression in this number. Prediction: 3
    3. BABIP indicated some bad luck at the major league level when coupled with a LD rate of 20.7. Expect this to regress to the mean. Prediction .320
    4. ERA was inflated due to bad luck with BABIP. Even still, I don't expect Gohara to be anywhere close to sub 3 yet. Prediction: 3.3
    5. Extrapolating last years WAR number gives Gohara anywhere from a 6-7 WAR. Lets just say thats an aggressive projection. Prediction: 5

So what does that mean? Including Jimmy Nelson (4.9) there were only 8 pitchers that achieved that threshold last season and 8 the year before (Kluber 4.9). Will we see a correction of the baseballs and more pitchers dominate next season? Is it completely unrealistic to think Gohara could perform like a top 10 pitcher next season?

I look forward to all the posts about how absurd I am but I think you guys are expecting this from me when it comes to Bravse baseball (And other things of course).
    Natural Immunity Croc

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    5. Extrapolating last years WAR number gives Gohara anywhere from a 6-7 WAR. Lets just say thats an aggressive projection. Prediction: 5

I think this is exactly what we get fro Gohara. I think he is the young, stuff guy that takes MLB by storm (but doesn't last as long as the rest). I look forward to the next 5 years of Gohara followed by letting him walk at FA. I think the CC comps are pretty good. He will dominate for a few years, so much so that he demands a contract that he will not fulfill the next 5 years.

I can't wait for a Gohara, Folty, Tehran, Newcomb, Fried rotation next year. I think the 4 of them will have good years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    I take the under on 5 WAR. He had some luck on the home run per fly rate. I also think he is a higher injury risk than most pitchers. Still a great prospect.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    I have him conservatively projected at 3 wins. He is definitely the one pitcher the Braves have capable of going off for 5+ wins though.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    2 wins if last years version
    3 if he can throw change up 10x a game

5 if he has an avg change up

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    2 wins if last years version
    3 if he can throw change up 10x a game

5 if he has an avg change up
    An average changeup with average command and Gohara would be an ace. There is no doubt in my mind. I even think he could be an ace with average command and just using the changeup enough to have it in the back of a RHH's mind.