Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanton

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I can’t remember what I calculated his surplus value to be exactly, but I’m guessing around $50M. The centerpiece for Ozuna alone will be a FV 55 position prospect ($38M) or a FV 60 pitching prospect ($34M).

The only 2 pitchers of that quality the Braves possess are Gohara and Wright. Gohara is close to untouchable, and Wright should be. The Braves don’t have a single FV 55 position prospect to spare.

The key to the Braves getting Ozuna for a lesser prospect package is to also take another of Miami’s bad contracts like Prado or Tazawa. Since their main goal is to cut payroll, that’s something they will be interested in. Tazawa is probably worth negative $5M-$7M, and Prado is probably also negative by at least that amount.

Taking Prado and/or Tazawa in a package with Ozuna could get the cost down to something centered around a FV 55 pitching prospect ($22M). Maybe the Marlins like Camargo as a cost controlled position player.

I could see something like Ozuna/Prado/Tazawa ($35M surplus value) for Allard/Camargo/filler....if the Braves can afford to take on that much salary. They are at $93M now, so if they dump MAdams, and dump Markakis, they can add those 3 salaries and be right around $110M. No, the Marlins will not be interested taking MAdams or Markakis as part of any trade.

AA is exactly the GM who could orchestrate a massive swap like that.
    I wonder if we could avoid taking on Tazawa for a similarly valued package? Ozuna/Prado for Allard/Camargo plus something just above filler maybe? I would do a swap like that in a heartbeat

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I wonder if we could avoid taking on Tazawa for a similarly valued package? Ozuna/Prado for Allard/Camargo plus something just above filler maybe? I would do a swap like that in a heartbeat
    There are probably a dozen variations that could work. The main structure being Ozuna plus some amount of negative contract value for a package centered around a FV 55 pitcher.

That pitcher might not be Allard, he’s just the one I would prefer to trade. The Marlins may not want Camargo. They might prefer a more MLB ready pitcher in addition to the pitching prospect...like Newk. Who knows, but that’s the framework of how an Ozuna trade would have to work out for the Braves.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Newk's control issues concern me. If you'd prefer to trade Allard over him, that has me concerned for Allard too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Think newk showed the stuff of a TOR starter. Not ready to trade him. While it would hurt to trade allard you have to give up something.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brian22 View Post
    Newk's control issues concern me. If you'd prefer to trade Allard over him, that has me concerned for Allard too.
    Allard plus Newk. Allard is more valuable than Newk. I’m guessing the Marlins will want guys who are MLB ready on opening day, so I think guys like Fried, Newk and Camargo may hold value to them.

An Ozuna trade will almost certainly take one of Soroka/Allard as the centerpiece, and I would prefer to give up Allard. Of course, the Marlins may prefer Soroka for the same reasons. Those are the only 2 premium guys the Braves have to offer that are even remotely expendable.

On the flip side, it may be a year early to trade a talent like Allard/Soroka for only 2 years of Ozuna, so this whole idea may be a bit outlandish. Upgrading LF can’t be done without also upgrading 3b, and probably not without upgrading the BP as well. It doesn’t make sense to spend the prospect capital unless the team is pushing all the way towards 85+ wins.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-26-2017 at 11:46 AM.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Allard plus Newk. Allard is more valuable than Newk. I’m guessing the Marlins will want guys who are MLB ready on opening day, so I think guys like Fried, Newk and Camargo may hold value to them.

An Ozuna trade will almost certainly take one of Soroka/Allard as the centerpiece, and I would prefer to give up Allard. Of course, the Marlins may prefer Soroka for the same reasons. Those are the only 2 premium guys the Braves have to offer that are even remotely expendable.

On the flip side, it may be a year early to trade a talent like Allard/Soroka for only 2 years of Ozuna, so this whole idea may be a bit outlandish. Upgrading LF can’t be done without also upgrading 3b, and probably not without upgrading the BP as well. It doesn’t make sense to spend the prospect capital unless the team is pushing all the way towards 85+ wins.
    I think to show goodwill to the fans Liberty Media should just give the team an extra 30 million for the next ten years so we can get Stanton.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Exactly this...

Matt
    1:00 Regarding what you think the Marlins *will* do with Stanton: what do you think they *should* do?
    Dave Cameron
    1:01 Offer to eat a bunch of the end of the contract in exchange for better prospects, then hope he opts out and you don't have to eat any of that anyway.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-29-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    I laughed so hard when they have him that contract. Would be amazing if they turn that into a huge positive like that. I would be surprised if Stanton isn't what Matt Kemp is now in 5 years.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Camargo killing it in winter league ball (SS alert)...
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I laughed so hard when they have him that contract. Would be amazing if they turn that into a huge positive like that. I would be surprised if Stanton isn't what Matt Kemp is now in 5 years.
    Stanton is a much, much better hitter who doesn't rely on his feet at all. Also a better athlete.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Exactly this...

Matt
    1:00 Regarding what you think the Marlins *will* do with Stanton: what do you think they *should* do?
    Dave Cameron
    1:01 Offer to eat a bunch of the end of the contract in exchange for better prospects, then hope he opts out and you don't have to eat any of that anyway.
    So you're saying Enscheff IS Dave Cameron

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    So you're saying Enscheff IS Dave Cameron
    I’m saying he steals most his ideas from me, obviously.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (11-29-2017)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Just thinking about Marlins and Stanton.

Obviously Stanton holds a lot of the cards and this could severely limit what the M's are able to do.

But, what if they shifted gears entirely and said we are keeping Stanton but cutting payroll elsewhere. They have some valuable assets that would be worth quite a bit on the open market such as: Yelich, Ozuna, Dietrich, Realmuto, Bour, Straily, Urena, maybe Zeigler.

They've got some contracts that can't be moved under any circumstances: Volquez (TJ), Chen (one of the worst contracts in baseball)

They've got a couple of players with limited value and significant contracts who can't be moved for anything of value and maybe would required compensation going the other way (cash or reduced ask in trade as part of package): Prado, Tazawa, Gordon, maybe Zeigler.

If they moved Ozuna, Yelich, Realmuto, Bour and Strailey and attached Prado, Tazawa, Gordon and Zeigler, they would cut about $70M of 2018 payroll and a significant amount in years beyond. If they could survive moving all those players but keeping Zeigler, Tazawa and Prado they still cut about $40M in 2018 payroll then would lose another $14 with Zeigler and Tazawa gone after 2018 (Prado has another year, commitment going up by $1.5M to $15M). That would allow them to better maximize the return coming back.

That strategy would put Stanton in the "Dale Murphy" position on a rebuilding team. Then, if you are the Marlins, you ride his contract out until he opts out after 2020 OR, more likely, Stanton changes his tune and allows himself to be traded to virtually anywhere that's a winner. The downside for the Fish would be if Stanton got hurt, maybe a career ending or severely diminishing injury, which leads him to never opt out for any reason or that his performance falls off to the point hwere his value is diminished.
    Last edited by Horsehide Harry; 11-29-2017 at 11:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    I would be incredibly interested in Yelich or Ozuna.

Probably more-so Yelich because the price of a power hitter like Ozuna would just be insane. We'd probably have to take on a contract like Prado, as well.

Lineup construction could go several ways, but Inciarte CF, Albies 2B, Freeman 1B, Acuna LF, Yelich RF, Prado 3B, Flowers C, Swanson SS, Pitcher would be insanely good.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Latest tweet from Morosi claims Panik plus Beede plus Shaw to the Marlins would get Stanton plus $45M to the Giants.

If the money is after the opt out/in this is almost exactly the type of deal I expected to see.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Giants execs meeting with Stanton reps in LA. I imagine this is a good indication a trade is close.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    I like it.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Yelich and Frazier would go a long way to getting the offense fixed.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Now there's a contract I'm sure the Braves could eat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Yes please!

Inciarte CF
    Albies 2B
    Freeman 1B
    Frazier 3B
    Yelich LF
    Acuna RF
    Flowers C
    Swanson SS

I'm guessing Acuna is moved up in the lineup pretty quickly, but that's a great place to start. Plus, he can go crazy with the RBI's there.