Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Winter Meetings Predictions, Rumors, And Actual Happenings

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I’m out on machado. I smell a similar situation to Tex...have him for 2 year and he’s gone
    except its 1 year with machado
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I think one of Cozart, Nunez, Todd Frazier on a 3 year deal is gonna happen

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Nunez is my choice there.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    except its 1 year with machado
    Still going to require a strong package to get him I’d imagine. We bought Tex thinking we’d have him for a year and a half. Ended up only having him for a year.
    Get off my lawn!

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    If it were possible to swing a 2 or a 2+1, that would be ideal, but I don't hate the idea of getting one of them. Excluding money and those considerations, I think I would prefer Cozart as a player

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    If it were possible to swing a 2 or a 2+1, that would be ideal, but I don't hate the idea of getting one of them. Excluding money and those considerations, I think I would prefer Cozart as a player
    Cozart would also fit into the theme of improving the defense

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    A Yelich ($110M-$120M), Prado (-$20M), Chen (-$50M), and Tazawa (-$7) package has a surplus value of around $30M-$40M.

That roster would cost the Braves around $121M, and that's with Markakis and Kemp still on the roster.

Could AA be cooking up something like Yelich+Prado+Chen+Tazawa for Riley+Newk+filler?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-12-2017 at 01:57 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-12-2017)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I'd really think about starting with Teheran, Dansby, Newcomb for Machado if he's serious about wanting to play SS and we think he will sign long term. I have no idea if that offer even touches him, probably need some far away promising prospects too, but his contract is only good for a year longer. That's a chance to have a core of MM/FF/Ozzie/Acuna... that could be really special if our luck turns in the pitching development. With Manny at SS I'd be fine with Camargo at 3rd a couple years. Maybe even try and see if you could stupid Jeter out of Yelich and sign a cheaper veteran SP rebound candidate. All unlikely but I'd try my best.
    I'm more worried about the contract it'll take to lock Machado down long-term versus the prospect capital required to bring him in this offseason (which, like you said, should be mitigated by virtue of the fact his FA window is about to open).
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    A Yelich ($110M-$120M), Prado (-$20M), Chen (-$50M), and Tazawa (-$7) package has a surplus value of around $30M-$40M.

That roster would cost the Braves around $121M, and that's with Markakis and Kemp still on the roster.

Could AA be cooking up something like Yelich+Prado+Chen+Tazawa for Riley+Newk+filler?
    Think we should?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts

I’d certainly find out as it makes a ton of sense. Hell I’d give them just a bit less than NY gave them for Stanton

Not really but I’d think about it
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Think we should?
    That's a Harry special for sure, but AA has done trades like that before.

That trade "fills" LF, 3B, BP and SP in one fell swoop, though the quality of those additions are pretty bad.

Tazawa goes away after 2018, at which point Chen bumps up to $20M from $10M this year. Prado goes away after 2019. Chen goes away after 2020, right when guys like Swanson and Albies start getting expensive.

The jewel is obviously Yelich, who is extremely valuable. If AA wants a good defensive OF, he can't do much better than Yelich/Inciarte/Acuna.

It would be selling high on Riley, in my opinion. Maybe the Marlins are dumb enough to still dream on Newk.

I wouldn't include guys like Wright/Soroka/Allard in that deal though. Well, maybe Allard, but I'm the low man on him around here.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-12-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I’d certainly find out as it makes a ton of sense. Hell I’d give them just a bit less than NY gave them for Stanton

Not really but I’d think about it
    makes sense for both sides. would be a good pick up for us.
    Get off my lawn!

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

That trade "fills" LF, 3B, BP and SP in one fell swoop, though the quality of those additions are pretty bad.

Tazawa goes away after 2018, at which point Chen bumps up to $20M from $10M this year. Prado goes away after 2019. Chen goes away after 2020, right when guys like Swanson and Albies start getting expensive.

The jewel is obviously Yelich, who is extremely valuable. If AA wants a good defensive OF, he can't do much better than Yelich/Inciarte/Acuna.

It would be selling high on Riley, in my opinion. Maybe the Marlins are dumb enough to still dream on Newk.

I wouldn't include guys like Wright/Soroka/Allard in that deal though. Well, maybe Allard, but I'm the low man on him around here.
    Yeah I definitely wouldn't include those guys, even Allard, but I would certainly be open to some sort of deal like that. But at that point you are paying a ton of money for what is essentially just Yelich, and maybe Prado if he still has anything left in the tank. If Prado doesn't have much left, in 2019 you would be on the hook for 45 million dollars for basically Yelich alone. 34 million in 2020. Plus the prospect capital that it would cost. That seems like an awfully risky endeavor. It is intriguing, but I think I'm hopping on the "no" bandwagon for this deal

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Yeah I definitely wouldn't include those guys, even Allard, but I would certainly be open to some sort of deal like that. But at that point you are paying a ton of money for what is essentially just Yelich, and maybe Prado if he still has anything left in the tank. If Prado doesn't have much left, in 2019 you would be on the hook for 45 million dollars for basically Yelich alone. 34 million in 2020. Plus the prospect capital that it would cost. That seems like an awfully risky endeavor. It is intriguing, but I think I'm hopping on the "no" bandwagon for this deal
    Yelich is going to be insanely expensive to acquire. Teams can either pay that cost in prospects, or salary relief.

If the Braves have $40M to spend, have several holes on the MLB roster, and don't want to give the Marlins 3-4 elite prospects for Yelich, taking on all those contracts is likely their best bet at getting a deal done.

It probably isn't the plan I'd like to see them take compared to a dozen other plans we've outlined here, but it's the one I'd choose if Yelich is the prime target.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-12-2017)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Yelich is going to be insanely expensive to acquire. Teams can either pay that cost in prospects, or salary relief.

If the Braves have $40M to spend, have several holes on the MLB roster, and don't want to give the Marlins 3-4 elite prospects for Yelich, taking on all those contracts is likely their best bet at getting a deal done.

It probably isn't the plan I'd like to see them take compared to a dozen other plans we've outlined here, but it's the one I'd choose if Yelich is the prime target.
    Oh yeah I definitely agree that if we are going to target Yelich, taking on the money would be better than giving up an insane amount of prospects. But yeah I think that there are more optimal plans out there that don't include Yelich

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Looks like the Cards are the favorites to acquire Ozuna. I expect them to send 1-2 of their young OFers plus pitching to get it done.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I know it's been said before but, damn, 陳偉殷 has a ridiculous contract.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-12-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Oh yeah I definitely agree that if we are going to target Yelich, taking on the money would be better than giving up an insane amount of prospects. But yeah I think that there are more optimal plans out there that don't include Yelich
    A trade would have to include the Marlins overvaluing players like Fried, Newk, Sims, Camargo, and Riley.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts

Let's make this deal happen. I would even be willing to add one of wright/soroka/allard. assuming yelich is a 4.5 war player and acuna is a 2 war player that would be a huge upgrade over the current outfield.

If the braves have a 130 million payroll cap coupled with a deep farm system there is no reason AA shouldn't be able beat any other teams offer for Yelich

I've always thought the real jewel in the marlins fire sale would be Yelich.

The best news I've heard today is that the Braves aren't in on moose. He is Neck 2,0 in my opinion. A weak hitting, no defense, GIDP machine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I'm not sure why anyone thinks we have a shot to sign Machado long term. He's just going to go to the highest bidder following the 2018 season, and we already know we can't compete with the big boys when it comes to bidding wars.