Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Winter Meetings Predictions, Rumors, And Actual Happenings

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Something interesting on Chen's contract. He has some defered payments so a team can get by paying him nothing towards the 2018 payroll if they bounced the 11/30 payment to the 2019 payroll or they could get by paying him $2M in 2018. The 2021 $16M option could not be triggered, so you could take out the last 2 payments to find the cutoff date

Total of $64.5M in 2016-21 salaries is deferred without interest (16:$3M, 17:$4.5M, 18:$8M, 19:$16M, 20:$17M , 21:$16M)
    Chen to receive deferred payments of $3M on 11/30/16, $4.5M on 11/30/17, $2M on 11/30/18, $6M on 6/30/19, $4M on 11/30/19, $9M on 6/30/20, $5M on 11/30/20, $15M on 6/30/21, $1M on 11/30/21, $15M on 6/30/22

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I'm not sure why anyone thinks we have a shot to sign Machado long term. He's just going to go to the highest bidder following the 2018 season, and we already know we can't compete with the big boys when it comes to bidding wars.
    Anyone thinking beyond 2018 would see Machado is not going to fit in with what we got cooking.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Anyone thinking beyond 2018 would see Machado is not going to fit in with what we got cooking.
    There are a lot of times that Braves' fans will baffle me with ideas, but the Machado idea is the one that never fails to make me giggle a little on the inside. It makes no sense on any level other than "we need 3rd base. He is 3rd base."

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    There are a lot of times that Braves' fans will baffle me with ideas, but the Machado idea is the one that never fails to make me giggle a little on the inside. It makes no sense on any level other than "we need 3rd base. He is 3rd base."
    And in the near-term he wants to play SS, anyways.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post

The best news I've heard today is that the Braves aren't in on moose. He is Neck 2,0 in my opinion. A weak hitting, no defense, GIDP machine
    Moose would fit here under Coppy and Hart but AA should be smarter than that. Based on his track record and what he has said thus far I am hopeful. Plus Riley isn't far off either and looks to have some solid potential.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Moose would fit here under Coppy and Hart but AA should be smarter than that. Based on his track record and what he has said thus far I am hopeful. Plus Riley isn't far off either and looks to have some solid potential.
    We seem to be catching a bit of a break this off-season with a soft market for third basemen. We should be able to get a solid player at a good price.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I don't see either Frazier a good fit either, but if local kid from Loganville comes cheap enough I am okay with trading for him. As far as third base options, I rather add Nunez or Cozart and Cozart can play either short or third or Nunez can split time there with Camargo. That said, I am not sold that Cozart will repeat what he did last year as he still just has a .716 career OPS. But he is very good on defense at short and should be great at third too. Nunez would provide a stolen base threat.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Apparently the Jays are at least "listening" on Donaldson.

Still don't see it, but AA stole him once - can't imagine he'd trade for him if he can't extend him without letting him reach free-agency, but we sure do seem to be missing out on several solid upgrades if something big isn't brewing. If you can get him for something reasonable (say Soroka, Allard, and Pache), tear up his current deal, and replace it with a 5 year/$150 million pact (takes him through his age 36 season) do you do it?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Looks like the Cards are the favorites to acquire Ozuna. I expect them to send 1-2 of their young OFers plus pitching to get it done.
    If they got 2 OF'ers from the Cardinals they could keep JT Realmuto and Justin Bour for one more season to put a young passable team on the field. My pitch to them would be that Riley and Ajax should be ready next year to take over at 1B and C and we have Fried and Sims ready to pitch in the big leagues this year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post

Still don't see it, but AA stole him once - can't imagine he'd trade for him if he can't extend him without letting him reach free-agency, but we sure do seem to be missing out on several solid upgrades if something big isn't brewing. If you can get him for something reasonable (say Soroka, Allard, and Pache), tear up his current deal, and replace it with a 5 year/$150 million pact (takes him through his age 36 season) do you do it?
    Yes I would consider it. It is weird though, it seems like we are being very quiet. I was hoping we would be aggressive and make obvious upgrades to our team. But so far, it seems we are shopping at the bottom of the barrel.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Yes I would consider it. It is weird though, it seems like we are being very quiet. I was hoping we would be aggressive and make obvious upgrades to our team. But so far, it seems we are shopping at the bottom of the barrel.
    The odd thing is all the comflicting quotes.

Paring payroll isn’t what a team with $40M available does.

Being in on Yelich isn’t something a team does while being conservative.

I honestly have no idea what the Braves could be up to. Anything from a complete reload and $130M payroll all the way to an opening day payroll of $90M are real possibilities based on what we’ve heard so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    It's hard to go by rumors with AA since he plays it so close to the vest. However, he did say he would be cautious for now since he still new here, etc. But I could still see him making some big moves depending on what deals are available to be made.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts

I am big fan of Donaldson, but I'd rather keep those players than trade for a 32-year-old 3B, given where the Braves are currently with their rebuild.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The odd thing is all the comflicting quotes.

Paring payroll isn’t what a team with $40M available does.

Being in on Yelich isn’t something a team does while being conservative.

I honestly have no idea what the Braves could be up to. Anything from a complete reload and $130M payroll all the way to an opening day payroll of $90M are real possibilities based on what we’ve heard so far.
    Correct. It's been all over the boards and makes no sense. But based on the moves so far, it seems more like we open with a $90-$100m payroll opening day

Of course, that can always change
    Get off my lawn!

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Another really off the wall thought...

Since AA is so big on improving the defense - and assuming the reported payroll actually IS available - if the Giants wind up trading for Billy Hamilton, might he consider adding Lorenzo Cain to play LF? If you eat whatever it takes to unload Kemp, playing LF will help keep Cain healthier. No one other than the Mutts really look like they'll be spending on a CF, and they're supposedly not spending much. When Acuna is called up, an Inciarte, Acuna, Cain OF would be the best defensive OF in the game. Markakis becomes your 4th OF/good pinch-hitter option when Acuna arrives and his money comes off the books to pay Cain with next season.

Doesn't seem likely, but if you could add Cain and Frazier and hold onto all of your prospects, how close does that get you to the 85-win range in 2018? If someone would take on even $5 million per of Kemp's money you might still have enough money to upgrade the pen with a McGee/Hunter-type of addition. I still would really like to have Addison Reed, and I'm afraid we'll regret it if the Phillies do get him.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-12-2017 at 04:04 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Another really off the wall thought...

Since AA is so big on improving the defense - and assuming the reported payroll actually IS available - if the Giants wind up trading for Billy Hamilton, might he consider adding Lorenzo Cain to play LF? If you eat whatever it takes to unload Kemp, playing LF will help keep Cain healthier. No one other than the Mutts really look like they'll be spending on a CF, and they're supposedly not spending much. When Acuna is called up, an Inciarte, Acuna, Cain OF would be the best defensive OF in the game. Markakis becomes your 4th OF/good pinch-hitter option when Acuna arrives and his money comes off the books to pay Cain with next season.

Doesn't seem likely, but if you could add Cain and Frazier and hold onto all of your prospects, how close does that get you to the 85-win range in 2018? If someone would take on even $5 million per of Kemp's money you might still have enough money to upgrade the pen with a McGee/Hunter-type of addition. I still would really like to have Addison Reed, and I'm afraid we'll regret it if the Phillies do get him.
    I've thought Cain would be a good addition, but I don't think we make a play for any free agents who cost us a pick after already losing our 3rd as well as the slot allowance that comes with it this year

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-12-2017)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    What about trading for Yelich, it would cost alot but he's on a great contract.

If Marlins are truly going to do a firesale, would fit an AA type of move.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I've thought Cain would be a good addition, but I don't think we make a play for any free agents who cost us a pick after already losing our 3rd as well as the slot allowance that comes with it this year
    I tend to agree with your take.

I think the Braves will improve via salary dump trades to lower the prospect cost, and a couple FA signings that don’t cost them a draft pick. The Marlins are the obvious dance partners. Ellsbury and Piscotty also make some sense.

The quality of the additions obviously depends on the actual payroll available. With that ranging from a few bucks to $40M, the number of realistic scenarios is quite large.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-12-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    I'm thinking we will all talk about great moves, but we'll make a couple small additions and call it a night. I just would love to start making some moves -- good ones, of course.

But I'm guessing AA takes it easy early.

On that note, with how long he's under control, I absolutely go all in on Yelich.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    David O'Brien‏
    @DOBrienAJC
    #Braves have long coveted Yelich. If they could trade Markakis and trade or dump Kemp, an OF of Inciarte flanked by Acuna and Yelich would be terrific for years.
    Last edited by Heyward; 12-12-2017 at 04:46 PM.