Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Winter Meetings Predictions, Rumors, And Actual Happenings

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Braves reportedly in on Yelich and Archer. Not much chance for either IMO. DOB answers question about them with ....

I think Archer would be cheaper and Yelich the better choice for Braves.

He further states that only 1 year 3B would be favored.
    Last edited by salmagundy; 12-12-2017 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I could see the Braves landing one of Archer or Yellich. Braves fans got the raw end of the Coppy deal and have a negative light on them now. The Braves need to do something to bring a positive light back to the rebuild. Either one of those guys fill a big need and please the fans at the same time. I’d try my best to hold onto Gohara, Wright, Albies, and Acuna and trade anybody else that I need to to get Yellich and Prado.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Getting Yelich and Archer would certainly impact our farm system in a major way, but man would it make next season and the following few seasons a lot more interesting if we hold onto Gohara, Teheran and Folty. Keep in mind that Inciarte could be moved if we get Yelich.
    thank you weso1!

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Getting Yelich and Archer would certainly impact our farm system in a major way, but man would it make next season and the following few seasons a lot more interesting if we hold onto Gohara, Teheran and Folty. Keep in mind that Inciarte could be moved if we get Yelich.
    Yeah, but even we don't have enough to get Yelich AND Archer unless Acuna and/or Wright are play IMO (I can't imagine anyone does for that matter). Would probably cost our entire Top 10 plus taking on some bad money.

Would it be worth it? Who knows.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-12-2017 at 10:30 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Yeah, but even we don't have enough to get Yelich AND Archer unless Acuna and/or Wright are play IMO (I can't imagine anyone does for that matter). Would probably cost our entire Top 10 plus taking on some bad money.

Would it be worth it? Who knows.
    I would trade Wright for Yelich in a heartbeat. Wouldn't cost our entire top ten. No trade in the history of ever has cost a team more than three of their top ten guys that I can remember. If it gets absurd then I'm out, but I think it's something AA needs to be involved with.
    thank you weso1!

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Shanks tweeted asking what people thought it would take to get Yelich and Prado.

The responses were... entertaining

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Shanks tweeted asking what people thought it would take to get Yelich and Prado.

The responses were... entertaining
    Most of Braves Twitter is better than that at least

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Getting Yelich and Archer would leave the team without a farm system at all.

This rosterbation has officially reached ludicrosity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Getting Yelich and Archer would leave the team without a farm system at all.

This rosterbation has officially reached ludicrosity.
    I'm getting older and selfishly want us to win now, so take that into account. I wouldn't make those moves if it legitimately cost the farm. I would make those moves If the price is somewhat favorable for us. Clearly it would significantly impact the farm, but it would also give AA time to rebuild the farm as most of our talent would be young and controllable. And as a wildcard we could make Inciarte available to help replenish the farm immediately if need be.
    thank you weso1!

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Most fans always want to team build like there's going to be a giant asteroid strike in 18 months. And that's always possible. None of us get out alive and none knows when the ball drops on our double zero.

But, I've always felt like there's a right way and a wrong way. Giving in to the needs of the now at the much bigger expense to the needs of the future has never been a winning play for me unless you clearly have a legitimate chance at the big prize.

I have no interest in seeing mediocrity instead of a slightly more frustrating awfulness, especially if that awfulness has meaning behind it.

Short cuts are always the political whisper in the ear telling you what you want to hear even while your gut says it's too good to be true. That's why I never trusted the 3 Johns.

And now we are where we are - not good enough to really contend, not enough money to do anything about it on the free market, not attractive enough to free market players even if there was money, not able to pull the trigger on shipping out significant parts of the young future without jeopardizing any kind of sustainability assuming the departure actually pays off at any time, shamed by scandal and sanctions, and far into the offseason seemingly paralyzed by navel gazing.

I have hopes for AA. But no action IS action. I hope to see some type of real plan soon. Either try to get better for now or try to get better for the future. But sitting on the sidelines waiting for a Leprechaun to ride in on a Unicorn isn't a winning strategy.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-13-2017), Jaw (12-13-2017), nsacpi (12-13-2017)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    can we please go get Manny Machado?

i know

but still
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    We have slashed the payroll

Jeter seems to be focusing on money. I’d take on Chen prado and volquez to get yelich.

Now I will make up a deal to get everyone mad bc I’m not calculating vale’s at 4 am bc my kids won’t sleep
    Braves get
    Chen-10, 20, 22, vesting option for 16. Less than 1 war last yr
    Prado-13.5, 15. Zero war last yr
    Volquez-13 million 1 war
    Yelich

Marlins get
    36.5 million bad money off of this yr, 35 next year.
    I’d love to try and dump kemp to offset money but that won’t work.

Allard, Pache, Jackson mueller
    Last edited by Russ2dollas; 12-13-2017 at 04:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    The best thing about our system is that we have so much depth that we could absolutely grab Archer AND Yelich and be in solid shape. Plus we have a top 10 pick coming up.

It’d hurt, have no doubt, but a move for Yelich and Prado plus Archer would be a crazy upgrade.

If it’s me, I scratch the idea of Archer this year and move strong on Prado and Yelich.

Ender CF
    Albies 2B
    Freeman 1B
    Acuna RF
    Yelich LF
    Prado 3B
    Flowers C
    Swanson SS

That’s above average to really good, especially if Prado rebounds from injury and Swanson steps up.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    The best thing about our system is that we have so much depth that we could absolutely grab Archer AND Yelich and be in solid shape. Plus we have a top 10 pick coming up.

It’d hurt, have no doubt, but a move for Yelich and Prado plus Archer would be a crazy upgrade.

If it’s me, I scratch the idea of Archer this year and move strong on Prado and Yelich.

Ender CF
    Albies 2B
    Freeman 1B
    Acuna RF
    Yelich LF
    Prado 3B
    Flowers C
    Swanson SS

That’s above average to really good, especially if Prado rebounds from injury and Swanson steps up.
    If we go really big we could try to get the Marlins catcher too and then flip flowers and Tehran to bulk up the system.

For your line up I will be furious if yelich is batting that low.

I’d do
    Yelich
    Acuna
    Ff
    Prado
    Albies
    Catcher
    Inciarte
    Swanson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Wouldn't it be amusing if we slashed all this payroll so we could take Prado/Chen in order to diminish the return of Yelich?
    Natural Immunity Croc

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Crasnick: The #Braves are in the market for a third baseman, but they're only looking for a one-year bridge to prospect Austin Riley, who slashed .315/.389/.511 in 48 games with Double-A Mississippi at age 20. They think he'll be ready to go in 2019.
    I call BS on this one. I doubt we’re only looking at 1 year stopgaps. We would’ve just traded for Headley and called it a day. This sounds like posturing to lessen the need and increase perceived value on Riley.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I call BS on this one. I doubt we’re only looking at 1 year stopgaps. We would’ve just traded for Headley and called it a day. This sounds like posturing to lessen the need and increase perceived value on Riley.
    Passing on Headly at the price the Padres got him for puzzles me.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-13-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    At risk of angering those who believe Frank Wren was a misunderstood genius, I worry that Anthropoulos is going to make similar moves as Wren did and fritter away most of our minor league depth. I don't worship minor league performance and prospects above all else--the goal is to win at the big league level--but if you are a mid-market team, you need to groom replacements as top-tier guys move on. Looking at Anthropoulos' approach in Toronto where relatively few homegrown players contributed greatly to the team's success (especially on offense), I worry that we will once again get to a point where we will be putting patches on tire patches to keep the car on the road.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I agree on the Headley move. It makes no sense bc he would have been the perfect stop gap. AA must already have a move in mind that he’s trying to pull off. If AA trades for Yellich and Prado then I see him signing maybe Cobb or Arrieta instead of trading more prospects. Most all of our core would be locked up for the next 4 years at least. We would most definitely become a legit wild card team next year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I'm all in on Yelich. He would be the perfect addition for us. AA needs to go for it unless the cost is just absurd.

I like Yelich as a player. But the cost would be heavy. And it seems like you would pay a premium for him and then toss a fair amount of his value by playing him in LF. I wonder if an acquisition of Yelich would be paired by trying to sell high on Inciarte.