Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: GDT: 4/28/2018 Braves @ Phillies

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    I hate the analytics forum sub idea. This forum doesn’t drive the traffic to split the user base. You do that it will either kill these boards or pull no traffic.

Ensheff is right. He does get attacked unprovoked quite a bit. Granted, he brought it all on himself months ago, so I hardly understand the self-victimization card that he plays whenever he gets in trouble. I wish he would act like an adult and embrace diversity of opinion, but that’s never going to happen. I would like him to stay, but if it means splitting the forum base to accommodate then I would rather he just be banned. The best solution is the guy has a Road to Damascus moment and changes his ways.

For those advocating that you can just put him on ignore, oh how naive you are. Every thread is a an ensheff back and forth. That’s just not going to work.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Garmel (04-29-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I hate the analytics forum sub idea. This forum doesn’t drive the traffic to split the user base. You do that it will either kill these boards or pull no traffic.

Ensheff is right. He does get attacked unprovoked quite a bit. Granted, he brought it all on himself months ago, so I hardly understand the self-victimization card that he plays whenever he gets in trouble. I wish he would act like an adult and embrace diversity of opinion, but that’s never going to happen. I would like him to stay, but if it means splitting the forum base to accommodate then I would rather he just be banned. The best solution is the guy has a Road to Damascus moment and changes his ways.

For those advocating that you can just put him on ignore, oh how naive you are. Every thread is a an ensheff back and forth. That’s just not going to work.
    Creating a seperate sub forum exclusively for Enscheff does not mean dividing the user base.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    This is the problem right here. Pure arrogance. Who are you to determine what is intelligent or not? You have had your fair share of gaffes on here just as everyone else has had here. That doesn't give you the right to go into attack mode because you believe someone is wrong.
    One other thing, while my intelligence is being impugned....that thread was the result of me pointing out in a game thread soon (maybe 10 days) after Albies' call up last year when I said he was an extreme fly ball hitter and Enscheff said he was not, the data clearly said he wasn't, that I was stupid for saying so, and wondering how I could reach such an erroneous conclusion.

I said, simply, that I watched him. Then I looked at the stats to see if they'd bear out what I saw, and his launch angle average was 19°, "higher than just about anyone's", I said at the time.

Within an hour he had started his thread about, "Why Albies needs to stop hitting the ball in the air so much."

Here we are four baseball months later, his launch angle is still 19°, he's leading the league in home runs, hitting the ball in the air 47% of the time and seems to be doing all right.

So while analytically speaking his launch angle is too extreme for his average exit velocity and he should, within the analytical framework Enscheff has defined, change his style in order to be more effective hitter, the unreliable eye test would seem to suggest the analysis is wrong - or at least in need of questioning, would it not? That it is probably sample size weirdness, but maybe it's not?

One thing that I've been toying with is that when you're talking about exit velocity you're talking about averages, not discrete events, and maybe Albies hits a lot more balls 95+ than other people with his average exit velocity. Maybe there's something about Albies that makes him out-power his expected quantity because of other, unaccounted for variables - that happens with FIP, right?

I'm not as data-driven as some, but I shouldn't have to hear that I should just focus on the pretty uniforms and green grass because I'm not looking at the game through a saber lens. I promise you, I appreciate the game just fine even without reducing it to a spreadsheet.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

buck75 (04-29-2018), Jaw (04-30-2018), jpx7 (04-29-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Creating a seperate sub forum exclusively for Enscheff does not mean dividing the user base.
    Then it’s a situation just like the Optimist/Pessimist subs that won’t drive any traffic at all. It’s band-aid solution to a real problem.

Seriously, poor [MENTION=71]CrimsonCowboy[/MENTION] is going to end up leaving us and who is going to step up and give us seven round NFL mock drafts in his absence? I won’t. thethe won’t.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts

Right. The only way would be for people to hit "reply" instead of "reply with quote." It would still be pretty hard to follow.

As for the unprovoked thing, I cannot think of a single time he didn't start the incivility. Not once.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    One other thing, while my intelligence is being impugned....that thread was the result of me pointing out in a game thread soon (maybe 10 days) after Albies' call up last year when I said he was an extreme fly ball hitter and Enscheff said he was not, the data clearly said he wasn't, that I was stupid for saying so, and wondering how I could reach such an erroneous conclusion.

I said, simply, that I watched him. Then I looked at the stats to see if they'd bear out what I saw, and his launch angle average was 19°, "higher than just about anyone's", I said at the time.

Within an hour he had started his thread about, "Why Albies needs to stop hitting the ball in the air so much."

Here we are four baseball months later, his launch angle is still 19°, he's leading the league in home runs, hitting the ball in the air 47% of the time and seems to be doing all right.

So while analytically speaking his launch angle is too extreme for his average exit velocity and he should, within the analytical framework Enscheff has defined, change his style in order to be more effective hitter, the unreliable eye test would seem to suggest the analysis is wrong - or at least in need of questioning, would it not? That it is probably sample size weirdness, but maybe it's not?

One thing that I've been toying with is that when you're talking about exit velocity you're talking about averages, not discrete events, and maybe Albies hits a lot more balls 95+ than other people with his average exit velocity. Maybe there's something about Albies that makes him out-power his expected quantity because of other, unaccounted for variables - that happens with FIP, right?

I'm not as data-driven as some, but I shouldn't have to hear that I should just focus on the pretty uniforms and green grass because I'm not looking at the game through a saber lens. I promise you, I appreciate the game just fine even without reducing it to a spreadsheet.
    insightful post

I suspect though that Albies will have more success in the long run with a lower launch angle...but right now he is an extreme fly ball hitter
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts

My favorite Enscheff story is when he got into a fight with another poster here over who was the better baseball player. Enscheff was dogging the other guy for being only a high school player while he was a division I player. The other day Enscheff admits he never played a day in college. Does he realize that people can remember his bull****. Like most sociopaths you can't get a straight answer out of them.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Right. The only way would be for people to hit "reply" instead of "reply with quote." It would still be pretty hard to follow.

As for the unprovoked thing, I cannot think of a single time he didn't start the incivility. Not once.
    My favorite Enscheff story is when he got into a fight with another poster here over who was the better baseball player. Enscheff was dogging the other guy for being only a high school player while he was a division I player. The other day Enscheff admits he never played a day in college. Does he realize that people can remember his bull****. Like most sociopaths you can't get a straight answer out of them.
    This would be an example of unprovoked.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    This would be an example of unprovoked.
    He called me a buffoon earlier in the thread. Maybe 1/2 unprovoked sort of like 1/2 of a sack? LOL! In all seriousness, do you want to go back and look at all of the times he's attacked me unprovoked?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    He called me a buffoon earlier in the thread. Maybe 1/2 unprovoked sort of like 1/2 of a sack? LOL! In all seriousness, do you want to go back and look at all of the times he's attacked me unprovoked?
    Just saying you aren’t helping the problem.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-29-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Then it’s a situation just like the Optimist/Pessimist subs that won’t drive any traffic at all. It’s band-aid solution to a real problem.

Seriously, poor [MENTION=71]CrimsonCowboy[/MENTION] is going to end up leaving us and who is going to step up and give us seven round NFL mock drafts in his absence? I won’t. thethe won’t.
    People have acknowledged that they appreciate his content and enjoy engaging in discussions about it. This will allow the ones who don’t like him to completely ignore him if they choose to, while the others can continue to discuss with him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    The one other thing I will say is that this season is shaping out to be a potential special one. We don't need this type of crap taking any attention away from that.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

buck75 (04-29-2018), VirginiaBrave (04-29-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Just saying you aren’t helping the problem.
    Enscheff is the one you need to talk to, not me. He stops, I stop.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Garmel For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (04-29-2018)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Enscheff is the one you need to talk to, not me. He stops, I stop.
    This.

Like I said, he has a immaturity problem. I can't put him on ignore because he posts some good stuff that GMs have no clue of.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

Garmel (04-29-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    He seems more interested in his numbers and postulations being proven right than the Braves winning games.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    He seems more interested in his numbers and postulations being proven right than the Braves winning games.
    Why do you think that?

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    It’s the strangest thing. It’s a no brainer. They are literally looking for any older guy (with no future with us), to hold down 3rd. If they don’t think he’s the “guy”...why not at least give him a shot?? Worst case is he gives us great defense, but he performed well at the plate and is a switch hitter. I’m just totally confused. He must have slept with someone’s wife I guess or has some bad club house vibe.
    Is it strange or does it speak about the lack of trust the brass has in him. Maybe they want to find out what their other options are if he fails.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Why do you think that?
    Simple, rather than being concerned or critical of player performance based on some number. I would just enjoy the performance. If a guy hits .260 with 30 bombs and drives in 90 and catches everything they are supposed to he's a good player period. Strikeouts do matter no matter what anybody says. Basically, it is just the insistence that old dinosaurs like me that watch the games with our eyes and not a slide rule don't know what we are talking about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Simple, rather than being concerned or critical of player performance based on some number. I would just enjoy the performance. If a guy hits .260 with 30 bombs and drives in 90 and catches everything they are supposed to he's a good player period. Strikeouts do matter no matter what anybody says. Basically, it is just the insistence that old dinosaurs like me that watch the games with our eyes and not a slide rule don't know what we are talking about.
    So, just shut up and watch the games and don’t try to analyze what’s going on. Awesome stance.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Well, when it comes to projecting out what players might do in the future the people who ignore or reject analytics are at an extreme disadvantage. Some of us are interesting in projecting out what a player's future will look like. That doesn't take away from our enjoyment of the present. At least it doesn't for me. And it certainly allows for a more informed opinion when discussing matters of projection. So if you just want to watch and enjoy the game that is perfectly fine. That is the way most people absorb baseball. But realize that you are probably going to have assumptions about what some players do and will do that will end up being incorrect.