Thread: GDT Game 3 : THE RELENTLESS

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Would you use Julio any today?
    A heavy dose of Julio sliders could be useful vs RHH.

I have to imagine both Melancon and Fried are running on fumes by now, so the Braves likely have to lean on some different guys today.

DK is probably good for 11 batters, and then the decisions start to become tricky once Goldy’s 2nd PA rolls around. Julio could be part of that and could face 6-9 batters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I wonder if the Braves would consider something unconventional. Like having Greene and/or Jackson start and pitch a couple innings. Or even Tomlin.

The idea is to get the Cards to insert Carpenter into the lineup. Then bring in DK.

This is a rare situation where we a choice of bulk pitchers. A lefty (DK) and a righty (Julion). And we can make the Cards put out their lineup before deciding which one to bring in.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-07-2019 at 09:40 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    A heavy dose of Julio sliders could be useful vs RHH.

I have to imagine both Melancon and Fried are running on fumes by now, so the Braves likely have to lean on some different guys today.

DK is probably good for 11 batters, and then the decisions start to become tricky once Goldy’s 2nd PA rolls around. Julio could be part of that and could face 6-9 batters.
    One of the reasons I really want to finish them off today. Getting an extra day or two of rest for the pen would be huge.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-07-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    DK announced as starting pitcher.

"I am your retribution."

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    DK announced as starting pitcher.
    Good news. The last thing we needed was for Teheran to go out and get lit up in the first inning.

Prosecutor of the
    International Criminal Court

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Hopefully Fried is available for multiple innings. He's pitched three times in 4 days but at the same time has thrown only 40 pitches over that time and before that last start was 28th with 43 pitches. He should be reasonably fresh. In a perfect world we get 5 innings from Dallas with the lead, 2-3 innings from Fried and 1-2 innings from Greene / Melancon.

Not to make dumb predictions but hopefully today is the day the Braves finally have the bats fully woken up for 9 innings of relentless attacking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    DK is the right call. Low pitch count in game 1, low mileage on his arm this year, and a better chance to win than JT. If DK gets bombed early, you put in Julio to save the pen and hope for better in game 5.

Prosecutor of the
    International Criminal Court

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Duvall on the bench today. Thoughts?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Honestly I think Teheran would be okay out of the pen for at least an inning or two regardless....
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AJonesATL View Post
    Probably the right call. Having two hits off of right handers doesn't change the fact that he's generally not good against them. Also, if you start him, you lose our best bat off the bench against a tough lefty that may be brought in.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-07-2019)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AJonesATL View Post
    Right call. I want his bat against a lefty or to force the lefty out of the game.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-07-2019)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Right call with DK, didnt throw much Game 1, and as striker said, hasnt thrown a ton of innings all year. How long he goes, is probably predicted on how he does, could be 3 if he's laboring, or if he's dealing, he goes 5-6. If DK gets lit up then Julio/Tomlin probably come in to save the pen for G5.

And need Duvvy off the bench.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie Swanson View Post
    Good news. The last thing we needed was for Teheran to go out and get lit up in the first inning.

I keep seeing this about Julio, but his numbers this year don't suggest he's any more likely to be bad in the first inning as any other inning. In fact, the data suggests it is one of his best innings.

In fact, he is far and away better the first time through the order than any other time.

And he's not particularly bad in the first inning in comparison to the other Braves starters.

I do not trust Julio in general, but if I am contemplating playing him at all I'm probably more comfortable with him early than any other time. Particularly if he knows he is in for limited pitches as that should allow his stuff to play up. I feel like I've seen that in the past from him.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I keep seeing this about Julio, but his numbers this year don't suggest he's any more likely to be bad in the first inning as any other inning. In fact, the data suggests it is one of his best innings.

In fact, he is far and away better the first time through the order than any other time.

And he's not particularly bad in the first inning in comparison to the other Braves starters.

I do not trust Julio in general, but if I am contemplating playing him at all I'm probably more comfortable with him early than any other time. Particularly if he knows he is in for limited pitches as that should allow his stuff to play up. I feel like I've seen that in the past from him.
    It’ll be his first time through the order whether he starts or relieves, though.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

i think it's a prior year's narrative. there was one year where it seemed like he always gave up runs in the first, and then settled in.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    It’ll be his first time through the order whether he starts or relieves, though.

I agree. And his first inning will be his first inning regardless of whether he is starting or relieving.

A fresh Julio vs a RH dominated lineup or a short rest Keuchel? Hard to believe I lean towards Julio in that scenario, but maybe I do.

I sort of question whether ruling Fried out of the rotation was a good tactical move. He'd have been my preference today and that could have happened while allowing him to have pitched as he did in Game 1.

Now you are starting short rest veteran with Fried and Melancon likely unavailable or suspect.

The braves injuries have unfortunately put them in a weaker position than the front office probably deserves. They did a lot to make depth and the injuries have just completely eliminated it.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-07-2019)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I agree. And his first inning will be his first inning regardless of whether he is starting or relieving.

A fresh Julio vs a RH dominated lineup or a short rest Keuchel? Hard to believe I lean towards Julio in that scenario, but maybe I do.

I sort of question whether ruling Fried out of the rotation was a good tactical move. He'd have been my preference today and that could have happened while allowing him to have pitched as he did in Game 1.

Now you are starting short rest veteran with Fried and Melancon likely unavailable or suspect.

The braves injuries have unfortunately put them in a weaker position than the front office probably deserves. They did a lot to make depth and the injuries have just completely eliminated it.
    Why would MM be unavailable, only went 17 last night. I dont know about Fried in the pen though, i'd want him in the rotation. If we win and face LA, i'd want him in the rotation, Dodgers demolish RHP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Why would MM be unavailable, only went 17 last night. I dont know about Fried in the pen though, i'd want him in the rotation. If we win and face LA, i'd want him in the rotation, Dodgers demolish RHP.
    Yeah, I'd want the rotation set up so that both Fried and Keuchel would make 2 starts if it goes 7 against the Dodgers.

"I am your retribution."

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-07-2019), The Chosen One (10-07-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Yeah, I'd want the rotation set up so that both Fried and Keuchel would make 2 starts if it goes 7 against the Dodgers.
    Agreed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I dont care what the opposing lineup looks like. Folty should be written in for 2 starts against any team.