Page 15 of 85 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: The Don

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    Personally I think it would be even worse than that, and you know I don't say that lightly.

About the worst of all possible match-ups. Wall Street would be tickled pink though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    It is interesting. I think it shows a pent-up anger that is manifesting across a lot of white America, although I think Trump will poll surprisingly well with African-Americans. I have spent my adult life first in politics but for the past 25 years mostly in policy and the thing that has struck me is that people are really getting sick of tortured policy analysis from both the left and the right. Folks are "think-tanked out."

I think the challenge for the Republican establishment now is trying to determine whether they should continue to try and derail Trump or jump on board. I heard a story on NPR the other day that highlighted the effort to blunt Trump's progress, but it all comes off as pretty weak soup. I think Cruz is the only guy who can leapfrog Trump and he has run as anti-establishment from the get-go. Kind of puts Karl Rove in an interesting position.

I wonder if the whole Trump effect will create the vast middle that has been lacking in American politics for the last 40+ years. It would seem odd that a consensus could be built out of Trump's bombast, but with the gathering congregations of extreme views on both the Left and Right, Trump has about eight lanes of highway to weave around in.

I'm not sure it's wonk-overload as much as it is PC-overload.

Trump can clearly tap into blue-collar Reagan Democrats as well as the wide swath of anti-immigration found across the political spectrum (which is in part how he has and can pick up African American votes as well).

Also, note how Cruz, of all the other candidates has been the "nicest" to Trump. Should Trump implode, Cruz can pick-off a lot of Trump support. If he doesn't who knows - those two could team up...

Trump the populist. Neither party will care for that.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    About the worst of all possible match-ups. Wall Street would be tickled pink though.
    The only person coming down hard on Wall Street in the race for either party is Sanders. Cruz has a ton of Wall Street money. At least Trump has come out against the tax breaks enjoyed by hedge fund managers.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    The only person coming down hard on Wall Street in the race for either party is Sanders. Cruz has a ton of Wall Street money. At least Trump has come out against the tax breaks enjoyed by hedge fund managers.
    Unfortunately if Sanders get rid of the free school and healthcare he would be electable. He did tried to explain how it would be paid for, but he would be dead within a couple of weeks or send every business overseas just like the pharms going to Ireland. We will see a lot more of that if it happens and a lot of people out of work.

Good idea, wrong approach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (12-10-2015), goldfly (12-09-2015), jpx7 (12-13-2015)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Unfortunately if Sanders get rid of the free school and healthcare he would be electable. He did tried to explain how it would be paid for, but he would be dead within a couple of weeks or send every business overseas just like the pharms going to Ireland. We will see a lot more of that if it happens and a lot of people out of work.

Good idea, wrong approach.
    Healthcare would be easy to pay for. It's called stop the shenanigans.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Arizona Fall Leaguer BravesBlock's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Whether you like or dislike the man he is causing our politicians to talk about issues that are important for our country. And I detest that when someone like Trump makes a statement that the opposing party does not agree with they resort to labeling him vile names such as racist and well beyond. And how can a politician threaten to ban someone (an American citizen by the way) from entering their district because they didn't agree with something that the candidate says it advocates a policy they are against. Whatever happened to free speech. Guess that ends when you say something they don't agree with.

What is so wrong with establishing a temporary pause in Muslim immigration so a better vetting process can be developed? Should we have to stop all immigration in order to remain politically correct? The problem at hand is based on this religion so I think only pausing their immigration is warranted. But if we have to stop all of it to appease the complainers then I am fine with that too. We really need to revamp our immigration policies to a merit based system.

Time for Americans to put America first. We need to take care of everyone here before we continue trying to save the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BravesBlock View Post
    Whether you like or dislike the man he is causing our politicians to talk about issues that are important for our country. And I detest that when someone like Trump makes a statement that the opposing party does not agree with they resort to labeling him vile names such as racist and well beyond. And how can a politician threaten to ban someone (an American citizen by the way) from entering their district because they didn't agree with something that the candidate says it advocates a policy they are against. Whatever happened to free speech. Guess that ends when you say something they don't agree with.

What is so wrong with establishing a temporary pause in Muslim immigration so a better vetting process can be developed? Should we have to stop all immigration in order to remain politically correct? The problem at hand is based on this religion so I think only pausing their immigration is warranted. But if we have to stop all of it to appease the complainers then I am fine with that too. We really need to revamp our immigration policies to a merit based system.

Time for Americans to put America first. We need to take care of everyone here before we continue trying to save the world.
    Because Trump's statements are racist. I don't necessarily think he's a racist per se. But his statements have been

As far as your aforementioned "Muslim pause" I'll leave you with one fact, there's 1.6 Billion Muslims. If most of them were dangerous, if half of them were dangerous, if 1/4 of them were dangerous, the world would be in true global chaos. We're dealing with a minority faction and attacking it like we're

I agree with you on the last sentence. We need to stop spending money engaging in perpetual wars against enemies we created and use that money to benefit Americans.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BravesBlock View Post
    And I detest that when someone like Trump makes a statement that the opposing party does not agree with they resort to labeling him vile names such as racist and well beyond. .
    Actually that's just as much his own party as the opposing party. You know, just to be clear.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post

Awesome
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

goldfly (12-10-2015), jpx7 (12-13-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Bibi called Trumps bluff on banning Muslims so, Trump cancels meeting with Bibi until after he becomes POTUS.

this is just ****ing weird unless of course you subscribe to the theory he throws out the most outrageous stuff so that Ted Cruz sounds like a moderate.
    That explanation is being floated . There is a name for the strategy (condition) starts with an O, anyone know it ?
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Dems won't go for it. The lawyers would have an issue when patients can't sue, which drives the cost of insurance of doctors higher than anything, the hospital, the nurses. Insurance is really high in the medical field.

Europe has a cap on insurance, the US don't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    You mean capitalism?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (12-10-2015), jpx7 (12-13-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    can any tell me the difference between Trump and Cruz ?

Last edited by 57Brave; 12-10-2015 at 11:27 AM.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    You mean capitalism?
    LOL

20. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (12-11-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    You mean capitalism?
    It's part of the problem. Insurance companies and hospitals running for profit instead of caring for patients as well as the drug companies who are the worst.

But AA touched on another part with liability suits.

Overall we need massive reform, we're spending 9000 or so per capita on health care. Number 1 rated Britain spends 3500. Only Norway and Switzerland spend more than us according to World bank. So we just need to reinvest our current spending and adapt our current system and we can get better care for the same or less amount of money.

Got the Call to Lynchburg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Because Trump's statements are racist.
    So how are his statements racist exactly? I got slammed on this board by calling someone who said "I hate Italians" racist. It's a nationality I was told. So since Islam is not a race, is it correct to state that Trump's desire to pause inbound muslims until we can sort out our methods, racist?

And since, as you state, there are billions of muslims across the globe, assumably spanning nations and races, how exactly is putting a pause on allowing muslims into our country deemed racist?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrShwag View Post
    So how are his statements racist exactly? I got slammed on this board by calling someone who said "I hate Italians" racist. It's a nationality I was told. So since Islam is not a race, is it correct to state that Trump's desire to pause inbound muslims until we can sort out our methods, racist?

And since, as you state, there are billions of muslims across the globe, assumably spanning nations and races, how exactly is putting a pause on allowing muslims into our country deemed racist?
    You make it sound like Trump only has been bigoted toward Muslims.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

“The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.”

"Our great African American President hasn't exactly had a positive impact on the thugs who are so happily and openly destroying Baltimore!"

Granted some of them are more jingoist than racist, but those are just a few examples.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-13-2015)

Got the Call to Lynchburg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

“The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.”

"Our great African American President hasn't exactly had a positive impact on the thugs who are so happily and openly destroying Baltimore!"
    I honestly don't see these statements as racist (although I do see that you widened to "bigoted").
    I do however, see a connotation, or language that, under the wrong context, can be construed as racism or bigotry.

What is fascinating to me is that a man running for the highest of political offices, has no fear in communicating in such controversial language.