Page 34 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 MLB Draft Thread

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    If our nine or 10 pitching prospects produces 4 to 5 productive roster spots than that’s a win. All of our young talent that’s playing on the MLB team is something to be envied
    Coppy

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I don't perceive the pitching situation to be any worse now than it was when the season began.
    I'm not saying our pitching depth is depleted but it's taken a small hit that where it was to start the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I'm not saying our pitching depth is depleted but it's taken a small hit that where it was to start the season.
    I think we've been ridiculously spoiled. I remember when JoJo Reyes was our pride and joy.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (06-03-2019), Jaw (06-03-2019), UNCBlue012 (06-03-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    It’s amazing how all that pitching depth has just vanished.
    Not really. Newk and Touki will still get their chance to start (though may be not this season as the BP would be in shambles without them). Wright and Wilson also will be given every chance to start. Just because they didn't perform like stars right out of the gate doesn't mean they are no longer in long term plans. Not to mention Anderson, Muller, Weigel, Wentz, and quick rising star Tucker Davidson. There is still plenty of pitching in the pipeline.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-03-2019)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I think we've been ridiculously spoiled. I remember when JoJo Reyes was our pride and joy.
    Yeah it's certainly not 2013-2015 bad lol, but yeah, lot of teams would love to have our arms.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Not at all... I still see our system as plenty stocked pitching wise
    If anything, Muller has emerged as a higher level prospect and Tucker Davidson has rebounded to where he again looks like a fringy MLB prospect.

But if they want to take more high upside arms in the draft, I'm all right with that. Particularly since the hitting is going to be picked over by the time the Braves are on the clock.

I'm also ok with Carroll, particularly if he's an underslot guy (dunno).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    If anything, Muller has emerged as a higher level prospect and Tucker Davidson has rebounded to where he again looks like a fringy MLB prospect.

But if they want to take more high upside arms in the draft, I'm all right with that. Particularly since the hitting is going to be picked over by the time the Braves are on the clock.

I'm also ok with Carroll, particularly if he's an underslot guy (dunno).
    I’ve said since the end of last year I think Muller could end up being the best of the bunch. Forgot about Davidson... I think he’s more than a fringy prospect. Wentz could get back in the picture too. There's also Ynoa.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 06-03-2019 at 08:54 AM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    It's certainly not sexy, but landing arguably the highest upside Pitcher from the college ranks (Rutledge) and the highest upside Pitcher from the HS arms (given Priester's lack of advanced instruction) wouldn't be "awful".

Still hoping for a bat at #9 though.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Listening to the Fangraphs pod now -- Kiley and Longenhagen both agree that there's the consensus top 6, but they're hearing 7-9 are all trying to go under slot. Then 10-11 are OK to see who the best talent is that gets to them and go slot there.

It would be really interesting if we could get Carroll under slot, but I'm just not sure if that's realistic. Carroll has routinely been talked about as someone who could have some signability issues.

Also, we've talked about Matthew Allan and his $4 million demands at 21. They basically said that Boras is his advisor and that's another factor that could keep teams from taking him.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-03-2019)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    You never draft for need in the MLB draft, but we are very thin in hitting prospects in the low minors right now. I don't know how they address that. I'm guessing we will still see the Braves trend pitching, but I can see a concentration on guys who currently project as mid-ceiling in Rounds 3 through 10 in hopes of hitting on a late developer. Curious to see if the go production or projection with some of those picks.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (06-03-2019), Jaw (06-03-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    I’ve said since the end of last year I think Muller could end up being the best of the bunch. Forgot about Davidson... I think he’s more than a fringy prospect. Wentz could get back in the pitcture too
    Yeah I think the more fringy SP prospects are Tarnok and Ynoa. Davidson seems pretty legit to me. Will likely have a lot of helium heading into the mid-season rankings. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the top 15 at mid-season. We're in desperate need of some hitting prospects though. With CJ Alexander out for the year, we're really thin after Waters, Pache, and Contreras. May be Trey Harris or Justin Dean are something, but they are in A ball right now and are 23 and 22, respectively.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Yeah I think the more fringy SP prospects are Tarnok and Ynoa. Davidson seems pretty legit to me. Will likely have a lot of helium heading into the mid-season rankings. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the top 15 at mid-season. We're in desperate need of some hitting prospects though. With CJ Alexander out for the year, we're really thin after Waters, Pache, and Contreras. May be Trey Harris or Justin Dean are something, but they are in A ball right now and are 23 and 22, respectively.
    Demeritte has had an interesting year, not sure if he's legit or not though. But yeah we do need some more hitters in the farm, it's barren once Pache/Waters get called up or traded.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Demeritte has had an interesting year, not sure if he's legit or not though. But yeah we do need some more hitters in the farm, it's barren once Pache/Waters get called up or traded.
    I think that has more to do with the new ball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    You never draft for need in the MLB draft, but we are very thin in hitting prospects in the low minors right now. I don't know how they address that. I'm guessing we will still see the Braves trend pitching, but I can see a concentration on guys who currently project as mid-ceiling in Rounds 3 through 10 in hopes of hitting on a late developer. Curious to see if the go production or projection with some of those picks.
    Yeah. Not drafting for a need at the MLB level makes sense, but I think it's logical to consider the overall organizational depth when creating a draft board. I'm hoping we grab some prep bats early and some small school college bats later.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Not sure if this has been linked, but here is Jonathan Mayo's draft day mock.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-dr...eline-coverage

He has us taking Rutledge. I think this is sensible. Rutledge strikes me as the highest upside pitcher in this draft. He carries the risk every pitching prospect carries. But at pick #9 the crème de la crème hitting prospects will be gone (unless something strange happens). So going with Rutledge makes a certain amount of sense.

At #21 Mayo has us taking UNC Wilmington SS Greg Jones. As I have noted there are a lot of good college and HS shortstops in this draft. It is this draft's strength imo. At #22 just after we pick Mayo has the Rays taking Gunnar Henderson, one of the better HS shortstops. At #24, he has the Indians taking NC State SS Will Wilson. And at #33, he has the Diamondbacks taking Texas A&M SS Braden Shewmake.

Given the depth of the position, it makes sense for us to use one of our top 3 picks to choose a SS. BA has us taking a HS SS, Anthony Volpe, at #21.

In addition to the guys mentioned above, here are the other shortstops we could potentially take at #21 or #60: Davidson (Mayo has him going at #19 to the Cardinals), Lee, Nunez, Paris, Valdes, Lugo, McConnell, Holland, Cairo.

I think part of the thought process at #21 will weighing the chances that one of the shortstops we like still being available at #60 (some of them are commits to schools like Cal and Vanderbilt so there is undoubtedly discussion of a bonus that deviates substantially from slot in those cases). If we like the chances of that happening, I could see us drafting Priester, Malone or Espino at #21.

One sequence I could see happening is this:
    #9 Rutledge (slightly under slot)
    #21 Priester, Malone or Espino (slightly under slot)
    #60 over slot deal with either Paris (Cal commit) or Volpe (Vandy commit). Georgia kid Nasim Nunez (considered the best defensive SS within the HS crop and Clemson commit) could be in the mix here too.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-03-2019 at 10:34 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Jung Bong was really high on the list too...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gcbraves View Post
    Jung Bong was really high on the list too...
    Bubba Nelson.

"I am your retribution."

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Fangraphs new mock: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mock-dra...he-morning-of/

They have CJ Abrams falling to 10, meaning we pass on him and take Corbin Carroll at 9. Wow. Later Kiley writes "Picks seven to nine are all believed to be out on Abrams"

9. Braves – Corbin Carroll, CF, Lakeside HS (WA)
    Bishop, Manoah, and Rutledge are also in the mix. The Braves are the first team to have a second pick, which perhaps gives them incentive to cut an underslot deal here, but the uncertainty ahead of them and Arizona’s presence at 16 makes it tough to have a narrow, player-specific plan for nine and 21.

21. Braves – Will Wilson, SS, North Carolina State
    We’ve heard them with Priester if he makes it this far and Florida prep RHP Brennan Malone.
    Last edited by CJ9; 06-03-2019 at 10:31 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post

They have CJ Abrams falling to 10, meaning we pass on him and take Corbin Carroll at 9. Wow. Later Kiley writes "Picks seven to nine are all believed to be out on Abrams"

Bishop, Manoah, and Rutledge are also in the mix. The Braves are the first team to have a second pick, which perhaps gives them incentive to cut an underslot deal here, but the uncertainty ahead of them and Arizona’s presence at 16 makes it tough to have a narrow, player-specific plan for nine and 21.

We’ve heard them with Priester if he makes it this far and Florida prep RHP Brennan Malone.
    Fangraphs says we are out on Abrams. I think maybe we are the ones engineering this slide so we can take him.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-03-2019 at 10:47 AM.

"I am your retribution."

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Carp (06-03-2019), clvclv (06-03-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post

Just REALLY tough to imagine us passing on Abrams IMO.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?