Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: GDT 7/22: THE RETURN OF THE THINGS FROM AUSTIN AND DALLAS....

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Jeremy Walker has been called up for relief. Parsons down I believe
    Walker with 8 BB in 69.2 innings...means he'll walk at least his first two batters...lol

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gcbraves For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (07-24-2019), The Chosen One (07-24-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Jeremy Walker has been called up for relief. Parsons down I believe
    Even if this was already planned, I love the fact we're sending Parsons down after walking 2 batters last night and calling up Walker who does not have the walk bug.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    That would requite two walks by Mac and Johan to completely wipe out the bench without winning the game. But yes I would have more faith in Flowers over Riley. Riley is about as bad as you can get right now.
    Both are horrible, but..

Last 10 games for both:
    Riley: 7/36 (.194) 2 BB, 15 k
    Flowers: 3/30 (.100) 3 bb, 15 k

Flowers has been even worse. No way I would've let either hit in the 9th vs a good rhp with ender, camargo, and Mac on bench

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    I can understand him letting Riley hit there. If McCann hits for Riley, then Camargo likely hits for Flowers should McCann reach base. If Camargo reaches without ending the game, that loads the bases for another ph, Inciarte. If Ender doesn’t win the game, that sends you to extras with zero bench players left. Ultimately the question was who do you have more faith in, Riley or Flowers. One of them needed to hit for themselves in case of extras
    So we are still of the opinion it's wise to save players in case you need them "later", which becomes irrelevant because "later" never happened as a result of not using those players in the situation they were guaranteed to potentially make an impact?

Where's that gif of Kimbrel sitting in the BP being saved for "later" while the Braves were eliminated from the playoffs?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (07-24-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Both are horrible, but..

Last 10 games for both:
    Riley: 7/36 (.194) 2 BB, 15 k
    Flowers: 3/30 (.100) 3 bb, 15 k

Flowers has been even worse. No way I would've let either hit in the 9th vs a good rhp with ender, camargo, and Mac on bench
    The FO bends over backwards to build a deep roster, and Snit can't leverage it by resting players regularly and/or substituting correctly in high leverage situations.

It's lame to say, but the problem is the roster is so good it's going to win regardless of what Snit does, and it's very hard to fire a manager that's winning.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Garmel (07-24-2019), goldfly (07-24-2019), UNCBlue012 (07-24-2019)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The FO bends over backwards to build a deep roster, and Snit can't leverage it by resting players regularly and/or substituting correctly in high leverage situations.

It's lame to say, but the problem is the roster is so good it's going to win regardless of what Snit does, and it's very hard to fire a manager that's winning.
    This makes me sick. He is so bad and I am afraid will be so overmatched in the playoffs that we will he demolished. But the players love him and the idiot fans love him.

This is like the ****ing 90’s all over. Great teams with a bad manager resulting in a bunch of chances and a bunch of failures.
    Coppy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

goldfly (07-24-2019)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    This makes me sick. He is so bad and I am afraid will be so overmatched in the playoffs that we will he demolished. But the players love him and the idiot fans love him.

This is like the ****ing 90’s all over. Great teams with a bad manager resulting in a bunch of chances and a bunch of failures.
    Bobby was not a bad manager. He knew how to platoon and give players regular rest. The only similarities is that both managers are liked by the players. That goes a long way mind you but Bobby excelled in other areas.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Bobby was not a bad manager. He knew how to platoon and give players regular rest. The only similarities is that both managers are liked by the players. That goes a long way mind you but Bobby excelled in other areas.
    It is ok to disagree. He won a lot of games with five hall of famers. I don’t think we need another Bobby thread.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts

I don't have any inside info. But I've been under the impression the decisions on who to play (Markakis, Riley) is mandated from the top. Snit is just in charge of in game decisions and keeping the players happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    It is ok to disagree. He won a lot of games with five hall of famers. I don’t think we need another Bobby thread.
    Bobby blasphemy will not be tolerated.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I don't have any inside info. But I've been under the impression the decisions on who to play (Markakis, Riley) is mandated from the top. Snit is just in charge of in game decisions and keeping the players happy.
    I don’t believe that’s true.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    i severely doubt that's the case. i'm sure AA wants to step in every single day and say "STOP PLAYING MARKAKIS SO MUCH, ESPECIALLY BATTING HIM 5TH VS LEFTIES." AA would not want this much Markakis.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i severely doubt that's the case. i'm sure AA wants to step in every single day and say "STOP PLAYING MARKAKIS SO MUCH, ESPECIALLY BATTING HIM 5TH VS LEFTIES." AA would not want this much Markakis.
    What makes you think otherwise? We've already heard that AA has been supplying Snit with analytics info to help him. I don't see why his involvement wouldn't extend beyond that. Not saying he sets the lineup daily, but it would make sense that AA advises Snit on the best decisions to make with lineup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    What makes you think otherwise? We've already heard that AA has been supplying Snit with analytics info to help him. I don't see why his involvement wouldn't extend beyond that. Not saying he sets the lineup daily, but it would make sense that AA advises Snit on the best decisions to make with lineup.
    I think some teams (the Yankees for example) have pre-programmed rest days. The manager can't play the player on a pre-programmed rest day. I don't think the Braves do that. Snit is given advice and guidance, but he is left to execute or not execute that guidance.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Because AA and the FO is smarter than letting Markakis bat vs LHP, and letting Swanson bat in the 2 hole. Those are indefensibly wrong moves, and anyone with any analytical knowledge knows it. Problem is, the roster is full of alpha male athletes who must be treated as such, and having some nerd dictate things isn't going to fly.

The FO has to walk the line of allowing Snit to manage the team, while still having enough correct decisions being made. If the Braves had a competent OFer to platoon with Markakis, maybe they would say something. If Swanson wasn't hitting pretty well in the 2 hole, maybe they would say something. If the offense wasn't performing as well as it has, maybe they would say something.

It's a "pick your battles" kind of thing, and the FO doesn't want to come off as meddlesome. It's going to take a disappointing season to get Snit out of Atlanta at this point, and I would prefer to be angry at Snit while winning than losing just to see him go. I watched enough losing the last few years.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 07-24-2019 at 01:14 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    AA isn't a moron. there is no chance he thinks consistently starting and batting Markakis 5th vs LHP is the optimal move. i doubt he says much of anything as to the lineups. i'm pretty sure that's like not common at all for GMs to do, and part of the reason the Mets are a mess.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    It would be pretty amazing if the Nats could lose both today. Thankfully for them, the Rockies have been terrible for a while now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,320 Posts
    Btw, Inciarte is in today's line up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    It would be pretty amazing if the Nats could lose both today. Thankfully for them, the Rockies have been terrible for a while now.
    Nats up 2-1 in the first game. Nats starting pitching has been flat out dominant for awhile now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Nats up 2-1 in the first game. Nats starting pitching has been flat out dominant for awhile now.
    Yup, they've been really good for a while. And the Phillies are slowly rebounding and up 4-0 right now.

I think we'll end up taking the division, but we really need to tighten up.