Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tehearn Thread

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    I have said from the day Hernandez was hired that he would set Braves pitching in a state of regression. His resume dictates that. In 2+ decades of coaching, he has had only one year of "good" results.. That year was when some young kid came to the leagues and pitched on talent alone. Verlander apparently leaned early the Hernandez didn't know what he was talking about.
    And here we are. I don't even think posters are dogging him. It's the results and combined with Suntrust park, all my seats will be in the outfield to get souvenirs for the family.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    There's nothing to do with Teheran except allow him to be a back end starter until his contract expires. They will be paying him $11M to be a 1 win SP in 2019, then can decline his 2020 option or pick it up instead of signing some other stop gap SP.

The time to trade him is long past, and if teams weren't willing to meet the Braves' asking price then, they aren't going to give anything of value now. His stuff has been declining every year since he entered MLB, which is what usually happens with pitchers.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-04-2018)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    So much blame directed at the pitching coach for this performance. Hernandez is not the answer, to be sure, but Teheran was erratic before he reached the majors.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    So much blame directed at the pitching coach for this performance. Hernandez is not the answer, to be sure, but Teheran was erratic before he reached the majors.
    Everyone has literally ripped Julio. But yes, the pitching coach stinks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    I've never been a pitchfork, trade Teheran guy. Still not. However, I think the guy who could iron out his deficiencies and minimize the terrible way he's pitching now is not our current pitching coach. I fear that younger pitchers will follow the same fate under Hernandez.
    Agreed. We need a new pitching coach ASAP IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I have said from the day Hernandez was hired that he would set Braves pitching in a state of regression. His resume dictates that. In 2+ decades of coaching, he has had only one year of "good" results.. That year was when some young kid came to the leagues and pitched on talent alone. Verlander apparently leaned early the Hernandez didn't know what he was talking about.
    Yea, I am more concerned about how he's effecting our young guns than Teheran.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Everyone has literally ripped Julio. But yes, the pitching coach stinks.
    Point is that there was all this "#1 starter" hype behind him coming up that no pitching coach was going to help realize. He'd likely still generate some trade interest with that contract.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Point is that there was all this "#1 starter" hype behind him coming up that no pitching coach was going to help realize. He'd likely still generate some trade interest with that contract.
    Yeah he may be a 4/5 instead of the 1/2 that we'd all hoped, but he's still cheap.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Freshmaker For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (04-05-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Despite the lofty hype placed on him, he has been a good pitcher for his Atlanta career. At one time quotes such as, "For the most part, this guy has been one of the best pitchers in baseball because of the command he has and then that swing and miss slider.” - Gerald Laird.....we're normal. Look it up.

Fast forward and the wheels are clearly falling of the bus. Declining stuff..yes...but he can figure it out on most days. I come back to making adjustments. Many pitchers lose stuff, but can maneuver through games with less than stellar stuff. Julio can't. At this point every start at suntrust should be pushed back. No pitching coach change will happen, so to Enscheff's point, it's best to ride out the contract.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-04-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Yeah he may be a 4/5 instead of the 1/2 that we'd all hoped, but he's still cheap.
    Yeah that's what he is now. Was a solid #3 until last year.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I am alone in this theory, but I think he muscled up as he developed physically and the resulting lack of fluidity has taken a few mphs off his fastball. He's always had flyball tendencies, so the fall-off in velocity is going to result in batted balls flying everywhere.

For those advocating a trade when he was performing better, we still don't know what offers were on the table. I can remember names like Devers and Benintendi tossed around when there were rumored talks with the Red Sox, but guys like that get traded for pitchers like Sale and not pitchers like Teheran. I'd be curious to know what, if any, serious offers were made and what was turned down.
    Doesn't really matter if those guys weren't on the table. He was still a solid starter on a good contract 3-4 years ago and we were selling off nearly every other asset (most notably Simmons who was far more valuable and also on a good contract). Should've been traded along with everyone besides Freeman.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ozzie Swanson For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-04-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Have to ask-- McDowell was lauded for being very good working with young guys. With al the young guns now and several years ago, who decided to fire him?
    Also, McDowell was well known for his change up while pitching in the MLB. Hernandez doesn't even know how to throw any of the variety grip change ups.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I am alone in this theory, but I think he muscled up as he developed physically and the resulting lack of fluidity has taken a few mphs off his fastball. He's always had flyball tendencies, so the fall-off in velocity is going to result in batted balls flying everywhere.

For those advocating a trade when he was performing better, we still don't know what offers were on the table. I can remember names like Devers and Benintendi tossed around when there were rumored talks with the Red Sox, but guys like that get traded for pitchers like Sale and not pitchers like Teheran. I'd be curious to know what, if any, serious offers were made and what was turned down.
    Generally speaking his average velocity has been pretty consistent since coming in the league before the first 2 starts this year. From rookie year til now. 93.9 93.1 93.0 92.3 91.9 92.0 89.6 Aside from rookie year his average FB was basically within a MPH of every other year.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Have to ask-- McDowell was lauded for being very good working with young guys. With al the young guns now and several years ago, who decided to fire him?
    "Roger is a terrific coach and an even better person," general manager John Coppolella said. "We wish him and his family nothing but the best in the future."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-04-2018)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Some of us have wanted to do that for years... he strings a few decent starts and the "we need to keep him because he's gonna be a steal with his contract" people chime in.
    Fortunately if we do miraculously find ourselves in a position to get some value for him I doubt the new FO makes the same mistake the past one did with him.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Generally speaking his average velocity has been pretty consistent since coming in the league before the first 2 starts this year. From rookie year til now. 93.9 93.1 93.0 92.3 91.9 92.0 89.6 Aside from rookie year his average FB was basically within a MPH of every other year.
    So we went from 94 to 93 to three years of 92 to...89.6? Not exactly a straight line progression. That's only two starts though, right? Maybe he's pitching through an injury. He's done it before. One thing Julio does is take the ball.

I am disappointed certainly, but not done with him.

He's had years with great control <2 BB/9, followed by years of 3.5BB/9...he's had pitches desert him. At Gwinnett he had a year of sub 3.00 ERA followed by a year they tweaked him and his ERA was 5.02. Then he was fixed the next year when he came to ATL.

He's gutsy, smart and has a mean streak (loved when he drilled Bryce Harper in the ass.). I agree with the folks here who say he needs to reclaim velocity and I have always thought he would do well to rely on his two-seamer, and junk the four-seamer, even when he was throwing 92 he had a gopher problem. It's now exacerbated by his home park. He did pitch better at ST toward the end of the year, but he's got some adjustments to make if he's going to be effective. I heard he regained the feel for his slider, but obviously we haven't seen that.

I think it is more likely than not that he cannot make the necessary adjustments, but there's a decent (30-40%) chance that he does.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Also, McDowell was well known for his change up while pitching in the MLB. Hernandez doesn't even know how to throw any of the variety grip change ups.
    Roger may have had a change, but his moneymaker was his sinker. Come to think of it, Julio has been **** since Roger left. Pretty clear the new guy isn't doing anybody any good.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-05-2018), jpx7 (04-05-2018), Tapate50 (04-05-2018)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Still a fan of his
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    McDowells issue was the TJ surgery right? All of his pitchers ended up with it?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    McDowells issue was the TJ surgery right? All of his pitchers ended up with it?
    Not quite. And that issue is much more epidemic than a major league pitching coach. That's who the kid's high school and college coaches were as well as minors. By the time they're 20 or older they're not gonna change what worked. Case in point is Medlen. He had terrible mechanics. But they were what got him to the majors and changing them changes how he pitches. Only Braves pitcher I recall who's mechanics changed in the majors were Hanson and it probably prolonged his career but it took a lot of movement off his fastball and he was much more hittable.