Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Grading the Braves' Four-seam Fastballs (FA)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    More likely McDowell, the sinker was his thing.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    No idea who told him to throw so many SIs, but now someone is informing these guys about which pitches are best.

Now if only they can get Fried to switch to a SI...

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    No idea who told him to throw so many SIs, but now someone is informing these guys about which pitches are best.

Now if only they can get Fried to switch to a SI...
    It seems like we have had a plethora of guys who have made positive adjustments under the current regime, some of the adjustments being ones that you explicitly suggested. So I think I am more hopeful of the Braves being able to fix Fried than I was last year.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

Garmel (04-20-2018)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm pretty sure someone told Wisler to throw more stinkers (i meant sinkers but will leave the typo) two or three years ago...terrible advice
    Right. What he needs is the change for LH hitters. Until that is a repeatable skill, all gains are short-lived and illusory.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    It seems like we have had a plethora of guys who have made positive adjustments under the current regime, some of the adjustments being ones that you explicitly suggested. So I think I am more hopeful of the Braves being able to fix Fried than I was last year.
    It's worth repeating again and again. Coppygate will be the best thing to happen to our rebuild.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Right. What he needs is the change for LH hitters. Until that is a repeatable skill, all gains are short-lived and illusory.
    yeah...i think last night his slider was so good he and Suzuki ditched the change...but he's gonna need to use it...not a lot...maybe 10% of the time
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    It's worth repeating again and again. Coppygate will be the best thing to happen to our rebuild.
    yup...loosened the death grip the dinosaurs had on some very important matters
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    yeah...i think last night his slider was so good he and Suzuki ditched the change...but he's gonna need to use it...not a lot...maybe 10% of the time
    Yeah hopefully the nerds in the FO have identified this balance and relayed the information to the coaches, Suzuki, and Wisler. If he could find a nice balance between the FA (maybe 45%), the SL (40%), and then 7.5% for the CH and CU he can turn his career around. It honestly baffles me that the previous regime was so bad at identifying optimal sequencing. You would think that if your idea behind the rebuild was to stockpile pitching, you would be on top of things like that.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-20-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (04-20-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Yeah hopefully the nerds in the FO have identified this balance and relayed the information to the coaches, Suzuki, and Wisler. If he could find a nice balance between the FA (maybe 45%), the SL (40%), and then 7.5% for the CH and CU he can turn his career around. It honestly baffles me that the previous regime was so bad at identifying optimal sequencing. You would think that if your idea behind the rebuild was to stockpile pitching, you would be on top of things like that.
    Well, the problem was they thought they WERE on top of it. They were too dumb to realize they were dumb...as is typically the case for dumb people (lots of evidence readily available around here).

They were the Atlanta Braves, pitching factory of the 90s. They knew all there was to know about pitching, as evidenced by their HOF trio. Pitching was the Braves Way.

Turns out they didn't really know **** about ****, despite what their defenders around here constantly tried to argue.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Well, the problem was they thought they WERE on top of it. They were too dumb to realize they were dumb...as is typically the case for dumb people (lots of evidence readily available around here).

They were the Atlanta Braves, pitching factory of the 90s. They knew all there was to know about pitching, as evidenced by their HOF trio. Pitching was the Braves Way.

Turns out they didn't really know **** about ****, despite what their defenders around here constantly tried to argue.
    I wonder how many times someone from our coaching staff or front office would eyeball a pitch and say to themselves "Wow that is a great pitch!" when in reality the data puts that pitch at like a 40 grade. I know that my eyes can't be trusted for things like that. I have seen pitches that 'look' amazing only to find out that its a well below average pitch. I can't say for sure that the previous regime was this basic in their approach to evaluating our pitching core, but it seems like one of the more obvious explanations for their shortcomings.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-20-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I blurb at TC: "Wisler showed renewed verve using a different release point"

Is this true?

Here's an chart of Wisler's release points in 2017:

vs last night:

Does moving his release point by less than an inch make any real difference? No idea, but I'm inclined to credit pitch selection for his success moreso than about a half inch change in release point.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-20-2018)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts

Is this true?

Does moving his release point by less than an inch make any real difference? No idea, but I'm inclined to credit pitch selection for his success moreso than about a half inch change in release point.
    I assume the much tighter cluster in the second graph is more likely a function of the data set (one night v many) than a reflection of better or more consistent mechanics?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts

Is this true?

vs last night:

I am amazed that release point data is in the public sphere. The amount and depth of data that is available for analysis now is just overwhelming.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (04-22-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I assume the much tighter cluster in the second graph is more likely a function of the data set (one night v many) than a reflection of better or more consistent mechanics?
    That's still several pitches at a release point that didn't show up last year. What dose this mean? More downward plane on his slider? Less horizontal movement?

His slider looked more like a curve in his last start.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-21-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    That's still several pitches at a release point that didn't show up last year. What dose this mean? More downward plane on his slider? Less horizontal movement?

His slider looked more like a curve in his last start.
    Yeah, higher arm slot should result in more vertical movement and less horizontal movement, assuming everything else remained the same.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-21-2018)