Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Braves, On Pace For Record 134 Losses, Cling To Faith In Future

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,862 Posts

Braves, On Pace For Record 134 Losses, Cling To Faith In Future

Written by Bob Nightengale of USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...alez/84126202/
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,544 Posts
    Gold standard stuff from JS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,761 Posts
    I think we'll get hot at some point and only lose 120

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I think we'll get hot at some point and only lose 120
    Our hot streak will coincide with a callup of Sean Kazmar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,006 Posts
    I always enjoy Bob's stuff. In an arena that includes multitudes of trash beat writers, he's one of the really good ones.

I completely agree with his article though. Aside from a really good win streak, this team easily gets the number one pick.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,857 Posts
    There is an awful lot of arrogance in our front office

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-09-2016), bravesnumberone (05-09-2016), goldfly (05-09-2016), JohnAdcox (05-09-2016), jpx7 (05-09-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    There is an awful lot of arrogance in our front office
    It is entirely justified. They have worked hard to earn their gold standard reputation within the industry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    This team wont set any MLB record for losses. They're bad but they're not that bad. The schedule has been brutal but we'll eventually hit some teams we can at least compete with. Still, if we don't lose 100 it'll be surprising.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,496 Posts
    “We’ve had a pretty good life around here for 25 years,” said Schuerholz, Braves vice chairman. “But now we’re taking the slings and arrows of criticism. It’s like the great line in The Godfather: ‘This is the life we have chosen.’

Enough said in that statement
    Get off my lawn!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-09-2016), UNCBlue012 (05-09-2016)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Still amazed that JS takes zero responsibility for this and the media never sticks it to him. Wren was the GM but JS was his boss.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-09-2016), bravesnumberone (05-09-2016), jpx7 (05-09-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Still amazed that JS takes zero responsibility for this and the media never sticks it to him. Wren was the GM but JS was his boss.
    The decision you fault JS for was making Wren the GM to begin with. Yes he was Wren's boss the whole time but having a boss constantly stepping in to overrule you isn't a great situation. You give the job to someone you trust and you trust them to do the job until they show you they cant.

Wren was a poor choice as GM. He was JS's buddy and so got a job he didn't deserve. However, the true heir apparent was probably Dayton Moore but he bolted for KC before JS stepped down. That left Wren.

Hopefully they've gotten it right this time. Coppy and the Johns have made some mistakes (Olivera) but they've also hit some HRs (Swanson). We'll see how it turns out. If we fail to develop enough prospects out of the batch we have and those that are coming and languish in the cellar, that will raise more questions about JS but I don't expect that to happen.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    The Twins are almost equally as lousy so far......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,006 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    The Twins are almost equally as lousy so far......
    With a massive amount of talent. It's pretty incredible.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,038 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    The decision you fault JS for was making Wren the GM to begin with. Yes he was Wren's boss the whole time but having a boss constantly stepping in to overrule you isn't a great situation. You give the job to someone you trust and you trust them to do the job until they show you they cant.

Wren was a poor choice as GM. He was JS's buddy and so got a job he didn't deserve. However, the true heir apparent was probably Dayton Moore but he bolted for KC before JS stepped down. That left Wren.

Hopefully they've gotten it right this time. Coppy and the Johns have made some mistakes (Olivera) but they've also hit some HRs (Swanson). We'll see how it turns out. If we fail to develop enough prospects out of the batch we have and those that are coming and languish in the cellar, that will raise more questions about JS but I don't expect that to happen.
    I don't agree with your comments on Wren at all. I think he was a very good GM and handled the spending restraints he was shackled with very well. His free agent/extension signings crapped out, every damn pitcher they developed hurt his arm, and he still had them in the hunt right up until his last year.

And if you ask me if it needed blowing up, I think the answer is "no." Sign one of Heyward or Upton and trade the other or take your QO draft pick. Keep developing Wood and Minor, Teheran and Sims.

Yes, hopefully Coppalella and Hart hit on some of their deals and we can get back over the 40-win plateau, but let's not put this utter debacle of a rebuild on Frank Wren, eh?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-09-2016)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    With a massive amount of talent. It's pretty incredible.
    Not massive, but clearly some guys who are woefully underperforming. Bullpen is terrible. Sano is miserable in RF. Buxton is back in the minors. They won't be this bad all season, but most every fan I talk to up here is really disappointed.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    I don't agree with your comments on Wren at all. I think he was a very good GM and handled the spending restraints he was shackled with very well. His free agent/extension signings crapped out, every damn pitcher they developed hurt his arm, and he still had them in the hunt right up until his last year.

And if you ask me if it needed blowing up, I think the answer is "no." Sign one of Heyward or Upton and trade the other or take your QO draft pick. Keep developing Wood and Minor, Teheran and Sims.

Yes, hopefully Coppalella and Hart hit on some of their deals and we can get back over the 40-win plateau, but let's not put this utter debacle of a rebuild on Frank Wren, eh?
    This rebuild is absolutely on Wren. Sorry. Our farm system was a joke, and the major league product had slipped to the point that we were going to have to rely on that farm.

I'd like to hear why you think this rebuild is a 'debacle,' though.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,400 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    This rebuild is absolutely on Wren. Sorry. Our farm system was a joke, and the major league product had slipped to the point that we were going to have to rely on that farm.

I'd like to hear why you think this rebuild is a 'debacle,' though.
    you probably don't want to hear it.. But I kinda agree with him and you.. Wren drove away scouts and made horrible FA deals.. he had some great trades and good drafts.. But JS started the whole Farm decline that snow balled to where it is now.. He was also Wren's boss and He and Bobby had say in the deals that were made.

I am happy with what we are doing.. but Hate that JS and Bobby still have influence in the organization. Ride off in the sunset and leave it to a younger smarter crowd now..

22. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-09-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    you probably don't want to hear it.. But I kinda agree with him and you.. Wren drove away scouts and made horrible FA deals.. he had some great trades and good drafts.. But JS started the whole Farm decline that snow balled to where it is now.. He was also Wren's boss and He and Bobby had say in the deals that were made.

I am happy with what we are doing.. but Hate that JS and Bobby still have influence in the organization. Ride off in the sunset and leave it to a younger smarter crowd now..
    I don't disagree that JS made some questionable deals before Wren that contributed to the weakening of the farm...but Wren had like 7 years to correct it, and it was way worse when he left than when he arrived.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,400 Posts
    I don't disagree that JS made some questionable deals before Wren that contributed to the weakening of the farm...but Wren had like 7 years to correct it, and it was way worse when he left than when he arrived.
    I don't disagree.. but you have to wonder if the reports of Wren wanting to rebuild were true and JS vetoed the idea. Believe me.. I am very glad Wren is gone.. but I just think JS needs to share the blame just as much..

25. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-09-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,400 Posts
    We seriously need to get Harry in as assistant GM.. If he could make any of his trades happen, this team would be incredible..