Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves to acquire Brandon Phillips

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    This might be Coppy's best trade outside of Miller to AZ. We're getting Phillips for virtually free. This is awesome.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (02-12-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Didn't realize Jace was a world class walker
    12.7% walk rate in 2016. That's really good actually. Of players with at least 400 PA's that ranked 18th in baseball.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-12-2017), jpx7 (02-15-2017)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Why are people up in arms over this trade? From the sound of it the Braves traded some no name prospects for a once proven major league talent. He's on the decline (been that way for a few years now on offense) and last season his defense began to dip as well. The Reds by all accounts are paying most if not all of his salary? I know the Braves lost two future HOFers by most standards around here, but this trade doesn't really make a single difference in the success/failures of this team. Emphasis on failures of course. If anything the Braves got a very likeable good natured guy who loves to have fun. Fans will love him too.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Why are people up in arms over this trade? From the sound of it the Braves traded some no name prospects for a once proven major league talent. He's on the decline (been that way for a few years now on offense) and last season his defense began to dip as well. The Reds by all accounts are paying most if not all of his salary? I know the Braves lost two future HOFers by most standards around here, but this trade doesn't really make a single difference in the success/failures of this team. Emphasis on failures of course. If anything the Braves got a very likeable good natured guy who loves to have fun. Fans will love him too.
    Pretty sure most are in agreement that this is not a bad move any means.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-12-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    This might be Coppy's best trade outside of Miller to AZ. We're getting Phillips for virtually free. This is awesome.
    If his defense returns we have the upside of a 1.5-2 WAR player for next to nothing. Not a bad gamble.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-12-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    This is what makes it a decent trade for me. I'd rather have Phillips' potential upside for $1 million and two non-prospects than Utley's potential upside for $2 million.

Would personally rather have played Jace because it wouldn't be nearly as big a deal when the brass decides it's time to plug Albies in, but you have to assume they've had that discussion with BP already and made him aware that he's simply a placeholder.
    The price will be about the same for both players if Phillips stinks it up and is DFA'd. I feel like Utley has the better chance of contributing, but they'll both likely be sub 1.5 WAR players.

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Not up in arms, it's a good deal with zero risk and zero downside with a lot of potential upside. My point is that people should not expect to see 27 year old Brandon Phillips because he's a below avg player these days. he has the potential to rebound and be averagish, but it's not as likely as his declining more. but for $1m, there's no downside at all. if he stinks, you release him.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Plus, Phillips veteran leadership and grit is unmatched. For the record thewupk, I'm not trying to discredit you and I think you bring up great points, I'm just playing the devils advocate. I'm an advanced stats guy and an eyeball guy. I'd rather have a hometown guy who used to be be a star playing in this transition year than Jace who has just never impressed me. I think he'll bring some excitement to the team and the fans personally.

I'm also wondering if Jace gets traded now, not that he'd garner much, but he could be included in a larger deal. One thing seems certain now, Ablies is the guy as I can't see Dozier even being an option now unless its for 3rd. If that were the case, I'd imagine the package would be centered around MLB ready pitching and Demeritte. But that's not happening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Hey [MENTION=59]Enscheff[/MENTION].... what if BP transitions to pitcher and becomes our ACE??? Hahaha. Look we both have very strong views and when the season starts I'm going to live up to my side of the signature bet. I need to know what that signature needs to be though, and it needs to be within at least some tasteful reason. Truth is, I do enjoy you for the most part so let's bury the hatchet and keep disagreeing but maybe not quite as nasty and personal, but I think we both bring up good points at times... and sometimes we don't.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 02-12-2017 at 12:52 PM.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    I do wish we didn't give Phillips a no-trade clause. Not that he'd bring back anything for value, but if Ozzie is ready during the summer, I'm sure a contender would at least give up something for Phillips, even if it was just to be a bench player.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Should be no complaints from Braves fans about this trade. None.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (02-12-2017), BedellBrave (02-14-2017), BoneThrower (02-12-2017), Garmel (02-12-2017), The Chosen One (02-12-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I do wish we didn't give Phillips a no-trade clause. Not that he'd bring back anything for value, but if Ozzie is ready during the summer, I'm sure a contender would at least give up something for Phillips, even if it was just to be a bench player.
    He might also waive his no trade if he can win. I know he didn't last year but who wants to play with herpes in DC. We just need to find a better team to trade him too.

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Plus, Phillips veteran leadership and grit is unmatched. For the record thewupk, I'm not trying to discredit you and I think you bring up great points, I'm just playing the devils advocate. I'm an advanced stats guy and an eyeball guy. I'd rather have a hometown guy who used to be be a star playing in this transition year than Jace who has just never impressed me. I think he'll bring some excitement to the team and the fans personally.

I'm also wondering if Jace gets traded now, not that he'd garner much, but he could be included in a larger deal. One thing seems certain now, Ablies is the guy as I can't see Dozier even being an option now unless its for 3rd. If that were the case, I'd imagine the package would be centered around MLB ready pitching and Demeritte. But that's not happening.
    Nah, we need Jace as a utility guy now more than ever since S-Rod might miss the entire year. As far as Dozier goes, that would, IMO, be a mistake. He only has 2 years left and we aren't going to be playoff ready by then. He is the kind of move a team like the Dodgers make to shore up a final spot or two on an already playoff caliber team. But the Twins wanted the moon, so they settled for a pretty good player instead for less cost.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Hoping that Phillips will want to play for the hometown team and a contender.

The Reds have been in that downward spiral for a few years. Hopefully this gives a little pep in his step to show the young guys he still got game.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    The Braves want Jace to be a super sub. He'll get plenty of ABs in that role.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    PLAYOFFS CONFIRMED BABY.

LOVING THIS TEAM FOR 2017. Then Albies comes in mid season too! Albies can learn a lot from Phillips even if he has lost some steps. No-lose situation here guys. If he hits with some pop it's even better. We're paying him peanuts.
    Forever Fredi

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    With SRod being out significant time, this is a great trade when we gave up garbage and we are paying 1 million... lot better than any Utley crap
    This.....and what do you bet "if" he does well and has a chance to go to a team that could win the WS...he will waive his clause. So, the Braves can still totally flip him with his approval.

They covered for the SRod loss nicely. Didn't give up prospects and bought time for Albies with a very competent vet. What's not to like again?? SRod will basically be lost for the year. Even if he comes back this year, by the time he gets back in the groove...the season will be over.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    This.....and what do you bet "if" he does well and has a chance to go to a team that could win the WS...he will waive his clause. So, the Braves can still totally flip him with his approval.

They covered for the SRod loss nicely. Didn't give up prospects and bought time for Albies with a very competent vet. What's not to like again?? SRod will basically be lost for the year. Even if he comes back this year, by the time he gets back in the groove...the season will be over.
    Or we'll be playoff hunting.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
    Nah, we need Jace as a utility guy now more than ever since S-Rod might miss the entire year. As far as Dozier goes, that would, IMO, be a mistake. He only has 2 years left and we aren't going to be playoff ready by then. He is the kind of move a team like the Dodgers make to shore up a final spot or two on an already playoff caliber team. But the Twins wanted the moon, so they settled for a pretty good player instead for less cost.
    I don't want Dozier, I was just saying that's the only way I see him being a part of the team anymore. I think we'll pick up a new util guy if Jace goes. I just get the feeling the Braves don't really want Jace on the team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Maybe we can sign Phillips to a 6 year extension after the year.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-15-2017)