Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: GDT #57, 6/3/14: Braves (Floyd) vs. Mariners (E. Ramirez); 7:10 EDT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    I certainly miss your dumb ass comments too.
    Not as much as I've been missing yours. The good news though is a couple others have been picking up the slack. We have a deep bench of nervous nellies and negative nancies around here.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-04-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    I can't imagine why posters are so frustrated with this team. I sense it's due to an over inflated opinion of the team.

This is not a great offensive club, probably around averageish. 2 very, very good hitters and a third (Heyward) that is coming around to be a solid hitter. Other than that, you have Gattis (all or nothing with a low OBP), Johnson, BeeeJ, Simmons, LaStell (now). That is not an overly talented offensive team. They simply don't get on base enough.

The rotation has performed better than anybody would have imagined if you said the rotation is Teheran, Minor, Harang, Santana, Floyd.

Bullpen is among the best in the league.

The bench is weak, but that's expected with Schafer, Laird, Doumit, Pena, Pastor

The team is in first place 2 months into the season. I can't imagine why posters are upset after every loss.
    No offense man, but if you're watching the games, I don't see how you can make this post. This team's lack of consistency is insane. There's a LOT of bad teams in baseball this year and I understand we are a top 10 team right now, but most teams are just flat out awful, we are not. We have talent... we just choke. It's still relatively early, so I'm not super upset or anything. Just pissed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    No offense man, but if you're watching the games, I don't see how you can make this post. This team's lack of consistency is insane. There's a LOT of bad teams in baseball this year and I understand we are a top 10 team right now, but most teams are just flat out awful, we are not. We have talent... we just choke. It's still relatively early, so I'm not super upset or anything. Just pissed.
    The problem is we don't choke consistently enough. We are clutch just enough of the time to make the choking upsetting.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I can't speak for gilesfan, but what I think he's saying that the talent is fairly uneven and one of the problems with uneven talent is that it is going to be inconsistent by nature. I've said all along that this is a team that has some holes and it has to play well to win. The decision to finally put Uggla where he belongs in the Braves' universe is a positive step toward solving some of the team's offensive problems. I have no idea what La Stella's ceiling is, but his floor is well above Uggla's current ceiling. I don't care how much better Upton the Elder is playing this year, it's still not that good. Not a Johnson fan. Simmons is a ball-in-play guy and those guys by their very nature can be extremely inconsistent. Gattis is good when healthy, but I worry that he's going to wear down in the second half of the season and if Laird gets more than 200 ABs, that spells trouble. Bench, as gilesfan points out, isn't that great.

Defense is very strong at some positions and weak at others. Simmons and Heyward can't catch every ball that is hit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    It is ironic that Uggla has been our most consistent player this year. And yet he's the one who gets benched. I don't get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    I can't imagine why posters are so frustrated with this team. I sense it's due to an over inflated opinion of the team.

This is not a great offensive club, probably around averageish. 2 very, very good hitters and a third (Heyward) that is coming around to be a solid hitter. Other than that, you have Gattis (all or nothing with a low OBP), Johnson, BeeeJ, Simmons, LaStell (now). That is not an overly talented offensive team. They simply don't get on base enough.

The rotation has performed better than anybody would have imagined if you said the rotation is Teheran, Minor, Harang, Santana, Floyd.

Bullpen is among the best in the league.

The bench is weak, but that's expected with Schafer, Laird, Doumit, Pena, Pastor

The team is in first place 2 months into the season. I can't imagine why posters are upset after every loss.
    I'm pretty sure you haven't been watching the games then. We're once again at the bottom of the league with RISP, which is just maddening. We've lost more than a few games we should have won. Our bullpen has let us down too many times already. We had the long losing streak, and none of the hitters are exceeding expectations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I'm pretty sure you haven't been watching the games then. We're once again at the bottom of the league with RISP, which is just maddening. We've lost more than a few games we should have won. Our bullpen has let us down too many times already. We had the long losing streak, and none of the hitters are exceeding expectations.
    But sometimes we hit well with RISP, like the last four games. We aren't consistently bad at it.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Well, the team isn't a good offensive team, what would you expect them to do with RISP?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe