Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet Another Mass Shooting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    the fact that some people (politicians) are more up in arms about marijuana and PP than they are guns is absurd. priorities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    There are places in the US where it is harder to bring a dog home from the pound than it is to buy a weapon.
    That Cajun would be a start

I still would go after the manufacturers and the profiteers.
    but, the profiteers are protected from regulation by the NRA.

Let me repeat myself from last week, abortion and immigration have not a whip to do with abortion and immigration. Simply a ruse to get the rubes to continue to prop up the NRA etal
    "Follow the money"
    I dont really see making it harder to get a gun helping. Going through government process BS would probably only raise their urge to kill. Sure we can sue the gun companies but that just raises their prices and I imagine the gubments the biggest buyer of guns. I wonder how many cops we can have at each school if they werent running around looking for Tyrone with a gram of weed.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I dont really see making it harder to get a gun helping.
    The Port Arthur massacre of 28–29 April 1996 was a killing spree in which 35 people were killed and 23 wounded. It occurred mainly at the historic Port Arthur former prison colony, a popular tourist site in south-eastern Tasmania, Australia.

Martin Bryant, a 28-year-old from New Town, a suburb of Hobart, was found guilty and given 35 life sentences without possibility of parole. Following the incident, it emerged in the media that Bryant had significant intellectual disabilities. He is now imprisoned in the Wilfred Lopes Centre near the Risdon Prison Complex.

The Port Arthur massacre remains one of the deadliest shootings worldwide committed by a single person. Following the spree, the Prime Minister of Australia, John Howard, introduced strict gun ownership laws within the country and formulated the National Firearms Programme Implementation Act 1996, restricting the private ownership of semi-automatic rifles, semi-automatic shotguns and pump-action shotguns as well as introducing uniform firearms licensing. It was implemented with bipartisan support by the Commonwealth, states and territories.

certainly helped in Australia
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    The Port Arthur massacre of 28–29 April 1996 was a killing spree in which 35 people were killed and 23 wounded. It occurred mainly at the historic Port Arthur former prison colony, a popular tourist site in south-eastern Tasmania, Australia.

Martin Bryant, a 28-year-old from New Town, a suburb of Hobart, was found guilty and given 35 life sentences without possibility of parole. Following the incident, it emerged in the media that Bryant had significant intellectual disabilities. He is now imprisoned in the Wilfred Lopes Centre near the Risdon Prison Complex.

The Port Arthur massacre remains one of the deadliest shootings worldwide committed by a single person. Following the spree, the Prime Minister of Australia, John Howard, introduced strict gun ownership laws within the country and formulated the National Firearms Programme Implementation Act 1996, restricting the private ownership of semi-automatic rifles, semi-automatic shotguns and pump-action shotguns as well as introducing uniform firearms licensing. It was implemented with bipartisan support by the Commonwealth, states and territories.

certainly helped in Australia
    So where do we draw the line on people with mental disabilities not getting to own a gun. Everyone who believes in a magic man in the sky who tells them how to live their lives has a mental disability.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    From a point made in Mossy's prayers thread:

As someone who is in media, the whole notion that the media shouldn't show a killer's photo is complete bull**** and weak.

If Barack Obama or anyone were assassinated tomorrow, would it be enough to just say..."Oh, yea, some neo-nazi did it?" Get real.

If anything, I don't think people have seen enough. If people saw pictures of dead bodies from these atrocities, it might make them more inclined to be outraged and work more aggressively toward solutions.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

57Brave (10-01-2015), goldfly (10-02-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Sarah Wood ‏@SarahWoodwriter 19m19 minutes ago
    "Thoughts and prayers" are good. Stopping these shootings from happening in the first place would be better. #gunsense #uccshooting

Liberals gonna liberal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    Seems like we've done a lot of praying over these shootings the last several years, but they don't stop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    Are there any conspiracy theories about this being a hoax posted on the Internet yet? Obama gone get them guns.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Waiting....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

Garmel (10-01-2015)

Playing the Waiting Game Krovahn's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    I am saddened that people died; but, 'praying' to fictional characters and stupidly thinking it will stop with no action taken is delusional.

Laws need to be amended and it needs to be made harder for lunatics like this to have access to weapons.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    I guess we can say conservatives are pro-life, except when it comes to war, execution, and mass shootings.
    There it is... You are such a strong good-hearted liberal because you do your part to stop gun violence by saying conservatives support mass shootings.

You should hold your head up high with dignity.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    I'll just pray a shooter goes elsewhere, and doesn't cross my path.
    That will save me.
    Prayer accomplishes the same amount as outrage. Instead of insulting those of us who do believe in the power of prayer maybe you can detail the things that you that make an impact on gun violence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Even better in this election season
    What is the record / views on gun regulation POTUS candidates.

Start with:
    HRC since she leads polls
    http://www.ontheissues.org/celeb/Hil...un_Control.htm

or Trump (R) polls
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015...rump-guns.html
    Last edited by 57Brave; 10-02-2015 at 05:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2015...hooting-oregon

" But as I said just a few months ago, and I said a few months before that, and I said each time we see one of these mass shootings, our thoughts and prayers are not enough. It’s not enough. It does not capture the heartache and grief and anger that we should feel. And it does nothing to prevent this carnage from being inflicted someplace else in America -- next week, or a couple of months from now. "
    Last edited by 57Brave; 10-02-2015 at 05:23 AM.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2015...hooting-oregon

" But as I said just a few months ago, and I said a few months before that, and I said each time we see one of these mass shootings, our thoughts and prayers are not enough. It’s not enough. It does not capture the heartache and grief and anger that we should feel. And it does nothing to prevent this carnage from being inflicted someplace else in America -- next week, or a couple of months from now. "

13 blacks have been shot and killed and another 94 wounded (many young kids) by gunfire the past two weeks in Chicago. Numbers far worse than yesterday's tragedy, yet not one peep about that or the need for gun control at all from you or yeesus or anyone else in this forum. Why is that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krovahn View Post
    I am saddened that people died; but, 'praying' to fictional characters and stupidly thinking it will stop with no action taken is delusional.

Laws need to be amended and it needs to be made harder for lunatics like this to have access to weapons.
    I don't believe the poster asking for prayers was thinking that it would stop future gun violence, nor was he even thinking of that. He can correct me but I believe he was merely expressing sadness and seeking compassion for his friends and neighbors in the common language of our times, by asking for prayers. Even if you're an atheist you should be able to understand this and act accordingly.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (10-02-2015), bravesnumberone (10-02-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    There it is... You are such a strong good-hearted liberal because you do your part to stop gun violence by saying conservatives support mass shootings.

You should hold your head up high with dignity.
    I didn't say they support mass shootings.
    But the fact they don't think gun laws need to be amended when this keeps happening says something. Our current actions aren't working. More guns aren't going to work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Prayer accomplishes the same amount as outrage. Instead of insulting those of us who do believe in the power of prayer maybe you can detail the things that you that make an impact on gun violence.
    I actually think outrage works better because maybe some people will be more aware and also join in the outrage.

Praying hasn't worked yet and is (IMO) just talking to yourself.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    I actually think outrage works better because maybe some people will be more aware and also join in the outrage.

Praying hasn't worked yet and is (IMO) just talking to yourself.
    Well some believe prayer does have external benefits and, IMO, it's not your place to tell them it doesn't.

And people have been "outraged" at these shootings for a long time. Is that working?

One could argue that the increased attention from the media's outrage has brought a level of theater that the mentally ill seek which could result in more shootings.
    Last edited by chop2chip; 10-02-2015 at 08:10 AM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (10-02-2015), Garmel (10-02-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    I didn't say they support mass shootings.
    But the fact they don't think gun laws need to be amended when this keeps happening says something. Our current actions aren't working. More guns aren't going to work.
    I agree with your general sentiment. I absolutely 100% disagree with your approach. What positive discord can we have when that's the perception you have of Conservatives?