Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FRIDAY MINORS FINAL 5/3/19; 4 strong mound jobs; Withrow wins '19 debut

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Swanson, albies, and acuna were all top 10 prospects at one point. Hitting on all of them does have some luck to it.
    "Luck certainly plays a part" - which part of that didn't register?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    "Luck certainly plays a part" - which part of that didn't register?
    All of it

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    riley. waters. pache.
    thanks coppy
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Glad to see Withrow back. He’s got some talent and could be a piece that was stunted a bit off the jump.
    Ivermectin Man

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-06-2019), jpx7 (05-06-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    riley. waters. pache.
    thanks coppy
    Soroka/Fried

Neck/Swanson/Flowers

The list goes on. The leadership during that period of the reguild was amazing.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I find it funny about the guys not wanting a complete home grown team. Yet our favorite players are pretty much home grown.

Let the young guys play if they force their way up. If they fail, it’s much easier to send them down as opposed to a big free agent signing and if you sign a bust ....you are stuck.

I’ve said for a while Pache and Waters are special. When you have two special players, that doesn’t mean you trade one just because you have two. You make room for those guys and trade someone else.

Riley is streaky. His D is pretty decent and would be a perfect 1st baseman if we didn’t have Freddie. He could be anywhere from a good everyday player, to a tier right under a star (which I think is where he will end up).

Waters and Pache though added with Acuna have the potential to be a absolute unreal outfield. I take that chance 10 out of 10 times, because the payoff coupled with how cheap theu would be are mind blowing.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Soroka/Fried

Neck/Swanson/Flowers

The list goes on. The leadership during that period of the reguild was amazing.
    yeah i always hit on the pitching so nice to see some good position player prospects coming thru.
    gotta give credit for dansby tho. don’t do that enough.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I find it funny about the guys not wanting a complete home grown team. Yet our favorite players are pretty much home grown.
    i don’t think anyone “doesn’t want” a completely homegrown team. it just doesn’t happen.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Riley would have been who I would have traded for Realmuto. I think he has potential to be an average to above average third baseman, but could still be a bust. He strikes out too much. A career minor league average of 0.284 with over a strike out per game does not translate to an MLB first baseman or really even that good of a corner outfielder. He has to stick at third.

I see Pache or Waters putting up offensive stats similar to Dansby. That works in center field especially with Pache's defense. I'm not so sure either would be that valuable as a corner outfielder.

If you throw in Contreras, my guess is only 2 out of 4 will stick. Pache and Contreras would be the two I would least want to to trade.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
    Riley would have been who I would have traded for Realmuto. I think he has potential to be an average to above average third baseman, but could still be a bust. He strikes out too much. A career minor league average of 0.284 with over a strike out per game does not translate to an MLB first baseman or really even that good of a corner outfielder. He has to stick at third.

I see Pache or Waters putting up offensive stats similar to Dansby. That works in center field especially with Pache's defense. I'm not so sure either would be that valuable as a corner outfielder.

If you throw in Contreras, my guess is only 2 out of 4 will stick. Pache and Contreras would be the two I would least want to to trade.
    Small sample so far, sure, but under 21% this year with ample power production as a 22 year old in AAA is more than manageable. it's dropped significantly from last season.

Also: again, SSS, but...
    JT Realmuto: 1.3 fWAR
    Flowers+McCann: 1.4 fWAR

So right now, looks like the Braves FO made a good decision.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Based on what I’ve seen I don’t think we are adding anything next year.
    Jd 23 million
    Oday 9 million
    Tehran 10 million after the buy out

I think they go with Riley at 3b after comargo holds down service time.

Keep the same if we have now.

Spend 10 million on the pen

Extend Freddie to placate fans.

Liberty pockets 20 plus million
    I wouldnt spend just to spend, but given the contracts Albies/Acuna have, it's best to take advantage of those deals instead of sit on the money while the rest of the division keeps adding and adding.

If Julio is bought out/option not picked up, seems likely, we'll be at 46/48 million assuming Nick and Flowers options get picked up. Lot of arb guys, rough guess 30-35+ million. Even with that, you're at 78-80 million with not a ton of holes. 3B, OF, and SP/RP really.

It's not a stacked FA market next year, but there's enough guys out there to make a big splash. Maybe non-tender Gausman, and go after Gerrit Cole? Maybe go after a Puig or an Ozuna.

Too early to project who will be on the trade market right now.
    Last edited by Heyward; 05-06-2019 at 10:01 AM.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post

Let the young guys play if they force their way up. If they fail, it’s much easier to send them down as opposed to a big free agent signing and if you sign a bust ....you are stuck.

I’ve said for a while Pache and Waters are special. When you have two special players, that doesn’t mean you trade one just because you have two. You make room for those guys and trade someone else.

Riley is streaky. His D is pretty decent and would be a perfect 1st baseman if we didn’t have Freddie. He could be anywhere from a good everyday player, to a tier right under a star (which I think is where he will end up).

Waters and Pache though added with Acuna have the potential to be a absolute unreal outfield. I take that chance 10 out of 10 times, because the payoff coupled with how cheap theu would be are mind blowing.
    I dont think anyone would be mad about a future lineup of Contreras, FF, Ozzie, Dansby, Riley, Acuna, Pache, Waters.

It's just the odds of all 4 of Contreras, Waters, Pache, and Riley all hitting is very slim. All 4 wont bust given how good they've been so far, but it would be remarkable if all of them hit.

I'm highest on Waters, i love him. Contreras is untouchable to me given how little the Braves have in the catching department. I do like Riley but if you could sign a Rendon, and trade Riley ++ to improve another spot, you do that.