User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Open Manage Positions

  1. #1
    Waiting for Free Agency
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Orlando,FL
    Posts
    3,866
    Thanks
    588
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 636 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Open Manager Positions

    With the season drawing to a close, I am sure we will start to hear very soon about managers being fired....either this week or just after the season concludes....it will be interesting to see what jobs open up

    So far, we know that San Francisco will be looking for a new manager. Someone on the radio yesterday was spitballing that it wouldn't be too far fetched to see Kapler fired from Philly, then brought in by his former boss in San Francisco to replace Bochy....have to say, that would be a DRASTIC change.


    Update: Open positions as of 9/30/2019

    Angels
    Cubs
    Pirates
    Giants
    Padres
    Last edited by bravesfanforlife88; 09-30-2019 at 01:05 PM.
    Mark Bowman's reports carry a lot of gravity

  2. #2
    Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

    Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    The Chosen One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    School of Hard Cox
    Posts
    19,589
    Thanks
    7,367
    Thanked 7,592 Times in 4,379 Posts
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    idk if drastic.

    Giants are now going all-in with analytics when they hired Zaidi. Kapler is supposedly an analytics manager, so it wouldn't be too drastic.

    As of the rest of the current "contenders" field.


    • I would think if the Nats 1) Drop the 1st WC and lose on the road in the WC game or 2) Nats don't even get one of the two WC spots, that Davey is fired.
    • Counsel looks like he will survive even if Brews don't make it, considering Yelich is out for year.
    • Maddon apparently is not favored by the FO and Epstein anymore. Surprising since he broke the curse I would have thought he'd have a job for life.
    • I think Callaway has bought himself one more half season. I think if Mets struggle out the gate next year he'll be gone by June.


    For the non-contenders remaining:
    • Don't see Colorado firing Bud Black a year removed from making playoffs.
    • Mattingly is interesting. He and Jeter have a connection which is why he got hired. Not sure Jeter would fire him.
    • Hurdle I think is gone in Pitt.



    In the AL, I think Yost is going to call it quits this offseason or next, since he knows the Royals aren't going to compete anytime soon. Don't care enough for the other teams in the AL.
    Forever Fredi


  3. #3
    Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 42 Times in 25 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mattingly just got an extension, yesterday.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bravesfannchar For This Useful Post:

    The Chosen One (09-20-2019)

  5. #4
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    26,484
    Thanks
    2,048
    Thanked 9,190 Times in 5,854 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    idk if drastic.

    Giants are now going all-in with analytics when they hired Zaidi. Kapler is supposedly an analytics manager, so it wouldn't be too drastic.

    As of the rest of the current "contenders" field.


    • I would think if the Nats 1) Drop the 1st WC and lose on the road in the WC game or 2) Nats don't even get one of the two WC spots, that Davey is fired.
    • Counsel looks like he will survive even if Brews don't make it, considering Yelich is out for year.
    • Maddon apparently is not favored by the FO and Epstein anymore. Surprising since he broke the curse I would have thought he'd have a job for life.
    • I think Callaway has bought himself one more half season. I think if Mets struggle out the gate next year he'll be gone by June.


    For the non-contenders remaining:
    • Don't see Colorado firing Bud Black a year removed from making playoffs.
    • Mattingly is interesting. He and Jeter have a connection which is why he got hired. Not sure Jeter would fire him.
    • Hurdle I think is gone in Pitt.



    In the AL, I think Yost is going to call it quits this offseason or next, since he knows the Royals aren't going to compete anytime soon. Don't care enough for the other teams in the AL.
    Fredi G
    ďIt's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning.Ē Senator Bob Corker

  6. #5
    Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Heyward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    17,251
    Thanks
    1,182
    Thanked 1,411 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    With the season drawing to a close, I am sure we will start to hear very soon about managers being fired....either this week or just after the season concludes....it will be interesting to see what jobs open up

    So far, we know that San Francisco will be looking for a new manager. Someone on the radio yesterday was spitballing that it wouldn't be too far fetched to see Kapler fired from Philly, then brought in by his former boss in San Francisco to replace Bochy....have to say, that would be a DRASTIC change.
    I dont think Kapler is their main problem, sure he's probably too analytically driven but they started their "rebuild" 5 years before we did, and all they have from it from position players and SP is Kingery, Hoskins and Nola. Whiffing on Moniak at 1/1 isnt good either.

    The GM is the bigger problem, they dont have much in the farm to replace what they need, and you can only spend so much money on your holes. Free agency can only fix so much. That said, i could see Kapler be the scapegoat for their problems even though it's more on the GM than him.

  7. #6
    NL Rookie of the Year
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    swamps of S. Ga
    Posts
    2,480
    Thanks
    503
    Thanked 350 Times in 225 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to MLBTR Padres Andy Green is on a hot seats.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

    And, while with silent, lifting mind Iíve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

    High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

  8. #7
    Playing the Waiting Game
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    805
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 174 Times in 119 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    but they started their "rebuild" 5 years before we did,
    But the Braves and Phillies both started their rebuilds in 2015? Like the Tigers more recently, the Phillies just watched an entire team get old without ever replacing anyone,. then spent years watching them fail and always thinking they were just one tweak from another World Series run, so by the time they finally began rebuilding no one much that they could trade still had value.

  9. #8
    Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Heyward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    17,251
    Thanks
    1,182
    Thanked 1,411 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    But the Braves and Phillies both started their rebuilds in 2015? Like the Tigers more recently, the Phillies just watched an entire team get old without ever replacing anyone,. then spent years watching them fail and always thinking they were just one tweak from another World Series run, so by the time they finally began rebuilding no one much that they could trade still had value.
    Meant to say 2 years. Philly started in 12-13, we started in 14-15. But Philly targeted veterans and Braves went after high upside guys like Fried, Folty, Touki, amongst others in trades.

  10. #9
    Playing the Waiting Game
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    805
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 174 Times in 119 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Meant to say 2 years. Philly started in 12-13, we started in 14-15. But Philly targeted veterans and Braves went after high upside guys like Fried, Folty, Touki, amongst others in trades.
    Trading for vets is not the general definition of a rebuild (I have heard it called a reload, which is a good example of what they were trying to do). They actually started rebuiilding in 2015, same as us, but by that time the only guy they had left with value was Cole Hamels.

    Truth be told, though, I'd argue our trades weren't that great for the most part (obv exceptions, not a blanket statement). But Zeus Almighty, we have stomped them comparatively in the drafts. All they've drafted in the last 5 or 6 years was Nola and, emmmmmm.....????

  11. #10
    Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Heyward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    17,251
    Thanks
    1,182
    Thanked 1,411 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Trading for vets is not the general definition of a rebuild (I have heard it called a reload, which is a good example of what they were trying to do). They actually started rebuiilding in 2015, same as us, but by that time the only guy they had left with value was Cole Hamels.

    Truth be told, though, I'd argue our trades weren't that great for the most part (obv exceptions, not a blanket statement). But Zeus Almighty, we have stomped them comparatively in the drafts. All they've drafted in the last 5 or 6 years was Nola and, emmmmmm.....????
    Hoskins and Kingery. They used Alfaro and Sixto to get JTR, i'll assume they re-sign him this winter. But with their lack of pitching depth, that could bite them bad if he's as good as it seems he'll be.

    But yes, Braves have kicked their ass developing players.

  12. #11
    Playing the Waiting Game
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    805
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 174 Times in 119 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Hoskins and Kingery. They used Alfaro and Sixto to get JTR, i'll assume they re-sign him this winter. But with their lack of pitching depth, that could bite them bad if he's as good as it seems he'll be.

    But yes, Braves have kicked their ass developing players.
    Kingery is an oversight on my part, for sure. TBH, I was thinking Hoskins had been in their system a little longer than 5 or 6 years, but you're probably right.

  13. #12
    NL Rookie of the Year
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    swamps of S. Ga
    Posts
    2,480
    Thanks
    503
    Thanked 350 Times in 225 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    According to MLBTR Padres Andy Green is on a hot seats.
    Padres have fired Andy Green

    From MLBTR

    The Padres have relieved manager Andy Green of his duties, general manager A.J. Preller announced today in an official team release. In his wake, bench coach Rod Barajas will serve as the interim manager for the remainder of the season.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

    And, while with silent, lifting mind Iíve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

    High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

  14. #13
    Waiting for Free Agency
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Orlando,FL
    Posts
    3,866
    Thanks
    588
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 636 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    Padres have fired Andy Green

    From MLBTR

    The Padres have relieved manager Andy Green of his duties, general manager A.J. Preller announced today in an official team release. In his wake, bench coach Rod Barajas will serve as the interim manager for the remainder of the season.
    That should be a highly sought after position. They have a good set up
    Mark Bowman's reports carry a lot of gravity

  15. #14
    NL Rookie of the Year
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    swamps of S. Ga
    Posts
    2,480
    Thanks
    503
    Thanked 350 Times in 225 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    That should be a highly sought after position. They have a good set up
    Bochy, Ron Washington, Moises Alou, Mike Scioscia and others being considered according to MLBTR.

    I hope Wash is very happy in Atl.
    Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;......

    And, while with silent, lifting mind Iíve trod
    The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

    High Flight
    by
    John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •