Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Braves Spring Training Thread

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Why would an anti-south guy like the Braves? Braves’ baseball is about as southern as it gets... well besides the SEC (no, not the security one lol)
    Good game yesterday by the way. I'm in Hattiesburg and a big USM fan. Been looking forward to this series for a while. Should be a good couple of games this weekend.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Murph View Post
    I am mostly a reader on these boards.....for the last several years.....but I remember when I got the PM on the old board that you were setting up this nice little place to escape the **** show that it had become. Sadly, this place is well on its way to surpassing it. Thanks to about 3-5 people that you allow to ruin your topics on a daily, sometimes hourly basis, has really turned me off. The ignorance and bigotry that exist here is quite disturbing. Feel free to carry on, me and my whopping 100 some odd posts will not be missed.
    Contribute to the conversation instead of hoping others will entertain you. It seems disingenuous to go off the topic of the thread to whine about people going off the topic of the thread. Not meaning to be a dick. But if all you do for this community is lurk then not sure your opinion will hold much weight.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,319 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog Murph View Post
    I am mostly a reader on these boards.....for the last several years.....but I remember when I got the PM on the old board that you were setting up this nice little place to escape the **** show that it had become. Sadly, this place is well on its way to surpassing it. Thanks to about 3-5 people that you allow to ruin your topics on a daily, sometimes hourly basis, has really turned me off. The ignorance and bigotry that exist here is quite disturbing. Feel free to carry on, me and my whopping 100 some odd posts will not be missed.
    I really wish I had an alternative where I didn't have to deal with the daily stupidity but unfortunately this is the only good Braves site on the web.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    I really wish I had an alternative where I didn't have to deal with the daily stupidity but unfortunately this is the only good Braves site on the web.
    This place is good because of its diversity. Heck if all you want is fluff then hit reddit. Now reddit game day threads are pretty funny though. But still. Embrace the contrast and don’t take it personal.
    Coppy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Garmel (02-17-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,699 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Good game yesterday by the way. I'm in Hattiesburg and a big USM fan. Been looking forward to this series for a while. Should be a good couple of games this weekend.
    Yeah, maybe good to you lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    No political talk on this part of the forum. Move along.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    One of the very best catching prospects in all of baseball.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-18-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    One of the very best catching prospects in all of baseball.
    This is true

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    to bad he struck out five times in batting practice.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    to bad he struck out five times in batting practice.
    Actually, what the guy failed to report is that the scoreboard in question is in foul territory about 200’ down the RF line. The indoor batting cages are lined up alongside the field there.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Think Chipper is hootering and tweeting again.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Snit just said, “we are being introduced to the analytical side of the game now”.

Remember when folks said the Braves knew all the stats and analysis we knew and discussed here? It certainly seems like they didn’t.

Remember when folks around here constantly said the FO knew what they were doing because they were getting paid to do it? Turns out they didn’t know much.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (02-19-2018), jpx7 (02-19-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Snit just said, “we are being introduced to the analytical side of the game now”.

Remember when folks said the Braves knew all the stats and analysis we knew and discussed here? It certainly seems like they didn’t.

Remember when folks around here constantly said the FO knew what they were doing because they were getting paid to do it? Turns out they didn’t know much.
    I always hated the notion that just because they are getting paid to do it that they automatically knew what they were doing or more than message board posters. This doesn't pertain to just baseball FO's either. It should be clear by now that Hard/Coppy were not very analytical and just behind the times. You saw it with their mantra to return to the 90's style of Braves baseball and team building. That simply doesn't work anymore. I wouldn't be surprised of they were the least analytical FO after Stewart and Co were fired.

I'm also curious to see how Snitker does this year. If it's true that it's the first time he's really seeing this type of data and there are people in place to help him make the best use of it then he might be a decent manager. To me the best quality of a manger is the ability to manage personalities and he seems to do ok there. The players certainly vouch for him. Now with data in hand to make in game decisions we might have something going there. Or he could all be lip service to fall in line with the new regime. Time will tell.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-19-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I always hated the notion that just because they are getting paid to do it that they automatically knew what they were doing or more than message board posters. This doesn't pertain to just baseball FO's either. It should be clear by now that Hard/Coppy were not very analytical and just behind the times. You saw it with their mantra to return to the 90's style of Braves baseball and team building. That simply doesn't work anymore. I wouldn't be surprised of they were the least analytical FO after Stewart and Co were fired.

I'm also curious to see how Snitker does this year. If it's true that it's the first time he's really seeing this type of data and there are people in place to help him make the best use of it then he might be a decent manager. To me the best quality of a manger is the ability to manage personalities and he seems to do ok there. The players certainly vouch for him. Now with data in hand to make in game decisions we might have something going there. Or he could all be lip service to fall in line with the new regime. Time will tell.
    Still feel that Hart/Bobby pushed the Braves way crap and set the directive to Coppy to win by 2017. Coppy was just a weasel who wanted to make his bosses happy. As a huge Braves fan, I am beginning to resent the 90's and it is a shame. It was really an awesome time.. I just wish we could only remember it and not keep trying to live it.
    Coppy

21. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-19-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Still feel that Hart/Bobby pushed the Braves way crap and set the directive to Coppy to win by 2017. Coppy was just a weasel who wanted to make his bosses happy. As a huge Braves fan, I am beginning to resent the 90's and it is a shame. It was really an awesome time.. I just wish we could only remember it and not keep trying to live it.
    Who really knows who the main culprit was. All that matters it seems to be that AA has full control over things now. So as ****ty as the Coppygate was atleast it got him and Hart out of power. JS and Bobby seem relegated to title only guys that hang around ST sometimes.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-19-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Who really knows who the main culprit was. All that matters it seems to be that AA has full control over things now. So as ****ty as the Coppygate was atleast it got him and Hart out of power. JS and Bobby seem relegated to title only guys that hang around ST sometimes.
    Nobody is going to be complaining about this style of team building if we have a starting rotation with a cumulative WAR of 20-25 WAR. Long ways away from that but if you squint really hard there is a path to get there.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Nobody is going to be complaining about this style of team building if we have a starting rotation with a cumulative WAR of 20-25 WAR. Long ways away from that but if you squint really hard there is a path to get there.
    Ask the Mets how that worked out for them. They had what you dream of and it lasted two seasons before guys started flaming out. The Nats have done a really good job but outside of Strasburg it's been acquired/bolstered via trade and FA once those pitchers found their mark. Pitching prospects are just too risky.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    LOL, this is the exact kind of crap we make fun of you for. MLB sees a team with a rotation that produces 20+ WAR in a single season a handful of times per decade. The 2017 Indians, the 2013 Tigers, and the 2011 Phillies were the only teams to do it this decade.

That’s 3 times out of 240 team seasons.

It is beyond unrealistic to think the Braves will have such a dominant rotation.