Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: GDT: PHILS vs BRAVES [Game 3]

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    The flavor of the week is exactly the idea that the “third time through the order” is a new discovery that deserves a new solution.

I appreciate the idea has merit. It’s not really even a new fix but the logistics of implementation it are dubious.

I’m not making a personal attack on you. I responded to one thing you said about a shortage of pitchers who can go three tiles through an order. You asked me to elaborate and I did.

I didn’t mean to suggest that you read blogs. I don’t know whether you do or not and I wasn’t really picturing you specifically doing that when I made my comment.

No offense or shade intended towards you. Sorry if it seemed like it was aimed at you.
    Again, the confusion for me, in terms of the thesis and tenor of your response, is that "a shortage of pitchers who can go three times through an order" relative to previous eras is not what I was discussing or asserting. I was talking about team behavior, and more and more teams definitely seem to be constructing their roster around the idea of limiting the exposure of their starters to later-inning and third-time-through PAs, stuffing their 25-man with the sort of talented-with-caveats pitchers that in times past might have bounced around as fourth and fifth starters but are now being tasked with concentrated-effort multi-inning relief roles.

Is that the optimal corrective for the fact that most SP's performance degrades over the course of a given game? I don't know, and I wasn't not saying it is. I was just refuting the idea that such a corrective, embraced as it is, will make the Max Frieds of the league more valuable by generating demand—since, as I said, I think one reason teams are pursing this specific corrective is because a lot of organizations have a few Max Frieds hanging around.

What I'm definitely not saying is that suddenly pitchers forgot how to pitch past the sixth, or through the third time, like two or three years ago. And I was even arguing Thursday that Kapler's decision was bad for a rebuilding team because if you don't let guys try to pitch deeper into games, you'll never know if they generally can; indeed, we might be seeing a little hyper-correction at the moment in that regard. Plus: one of my favorite game-types is the ten-inning CG, so I'm certainly not hoping that all starters start to see the quick hook in all situations.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Managuarantano's Volunteers View Post
    Phillies should be fined for blatantly ignoring rules
    Get an umpire crew out there to enforce/know the rules first. Phillies screwed up, but umpires let them get away with it.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Kap gonna get fired by June
    By mid May at the latest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Plus by allowing that crap McCarthy had to run the bases longer. Hopefully he got enough rest and is sharp this inning.

Not surprised by leadoff double after McCarthy ran the bases that long. Happens a lot.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 03-31-2018 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Managuarantano's Volunteers View Post
    Phillies should be fined for blatantly ignoring rules
    Phil's just screwed up. Umps should have forced their pitcher to start without his warmup tosses. Umps covered up for the Phils hard. The crew chief should be fined and demoted.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Gabe just got a dose of immediate karma.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Phil's just screwed up. Umps should have forced their pitcher to start without his warmup tosses. Umps covered up for the Phils hard. The crew chief should be fined and demoted.
    I mean yeah, that's true. that was embarrassingly bad
    AKA International Bonus Pool Slot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Chip is absolutely right. What good are these pace of play rules if you don’t enforce them?
    I am sure they will be enforced when we violate the rules. If I was Snit I would have just asked the ump to allow the same for the Braves if they werent going to dq the pitcher.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Kingery is going to kill us for a long time

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I shutter to think how awful it's goijg to be ton watch the Phillies early on. Kapler will get better at his job but it's cringe worthy right now.
    If I'ma Phillies fan I can't imagine how miserable it will be. He is making these games like 4.5 hours

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Kingery is going to kill us for a long time
    Trea turner 2.0

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    McCarthy is depressing to watch pitch.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Again, the confusion for me, in terms of the thesis and tenor of your response, is that "a shortage of pitchers who can go three times through an order" relative to previous eras is not what I was discussing or asserting. I was talking about team behavior, and more and more teams definitely seem to be constructing their roster around the idea of limiting the exposure of their starters to later-inning and third-time-through PAs, stuffing their 25-man with the sort of talented-with-caveats pitchers that in times past might have bounced around as fourth and fifth starters but are now being tasked with concentrated-effort multi-inning relief roles.

Is that the optimal corrective for the fact that most SP's performance degrades over the course of a given game? I don't know, and I wasn't not saying it is. I was just refuting the idea that such a corrective, embraced as it is, will make the Max Frieds of the league more valuable by generating demand—since, as I said, I think one reason teams are pursing this specific corrective is because a lot of organizations have a few Max Frieds hanging around.

What I'm definitely not saying is that suddenly pitchers forgot how to pitch past the sixth, or through the third time, like two or three years ago. And I was even arguing Thursday that Kapler's decision was bad for a rebuilding team because if you don't let guys try to pitch deeper into games, you'll never know if they generally can; indeed, we might be seeing a little hyper-correction at the moment in that regard. Plus: one of my favorite game-types is the ten-inning CG, so I'm certainly not hoping that all starters start to see the quick hook in all situations.
    Ok. I thought maybe you did suggest there were fewer now than before. I misunderstood.

It wasn’t intended as an personal insult. I promise.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 03-31-2018 at 07:48 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-31-2018)

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    If I'ma Phillies fan I can't imagine how miserable it will be. He is making these games like 4.5 hours
    I think this year will be the most I've ever hated the Phillies. Hitting our backup catcher on the hand after starter was injured and all this garbage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    These umps are going to be worse at their jobs with this pace of play. They are just standing around doing nothing for way too long.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a manager make a pitching change without someone warmed up. If that is actually what happened. Sometimes the Braves broadcast team is not dependable.

Given Snitker got tossed, I’m guessing they were right though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    They better have another 6-10 arms in their minor leagues waiting to get outs. It's going to be ugly if they don't have that.

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a manager make a pitching change without someone warmed up. If that is actually what happened. Sometimes the Braves broadcast team is not dependable.

Yeah. Plus pitching change in 3rd inning makes it a lot more likely. And they got confirmation on it. That was a debacle

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Managuarantano's Volunteers For This Useful Post:

TomahawkCult (03-31-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts

Miss state did it this year opening series. Our coach was texting his mistress in the dug out, and had no idea. He was fired after 3 games this season for his affair

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    They better have another 6-10 arms in their minor leagues waiting to get outs. It's going to be ugly if they don't have that.
    If they don't change anything in their method, I think we may have already tanked their season. Ridiculous stuff