Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves sign Bautista

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    If the Braves wanted Moose, they would have signed him in the offseason. By not doing so it showed they either didn’t have the funds to buy him, or they didn’t want him. Why would either of them change now? Neither of the players you named would save us any money necessary to take on his salary this season.
    In the offseason he wanted big money and cost a pick.

We also didn’t think we would compete.

What is changing is we look decent and I do not see a lot of places for moose to drive up the price. They can’t attach a pick next year so they have to move him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I have little faith that we'll sell Markakis. I know we have a new GM. But JS/McGuirk were never big on including money in a trade. Never really understood why.

I can't imagine any team willing to bring on Markakis and his salary. Even if only for 3 months. He's way too overpaid.
    A team in need of a decent corner OF for a couple months at a cheap cost (prospect wise) would probably take a flier on him as long as he continues to play close to the way he has thus far

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    A team in need of a decent corner OF for a couple months at a cheap cost (prospect wise) would probably take a flier on him as long as he continues to play close to the way he has thus far
    There is no snake oil salesman approach you can take on Markakis. He's 34 years old with 8000 plate appearances. The "play close to the way he has thus far" would mean he'd be producing like he was 28 again. The book is more than out on Markakis, he's around a league average hitter at an offensive first position that he doesn't play very good defense at. His value is minimal. No MLB executive is gonna see him get hot for 20 games and cream their pants (he had pretty much the same wRC+ in march/april of last year)
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Trading anything of real value for half a season of Moose is not smart. He's pretty bad defensively now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Trading anything of real value for half a season of Moose is not smart. He's pretty bad defensively now.
    Its such a bad usage of our currency as well.

All resources to be earmarked for improving the club in 2018 should be devoted to the bullpen. End of story.
    Natural Immunity Croc

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-23-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    There is no snake oil salesman approach you can take on Markakis. He's 34 years old with 8000 plate appearances. The "play close to the way he has thus far" would mean he'd be producing like he was 28 again. The book is more than out on Markakis, he's around a league average hitter at an offensive first position that he doesn't play very good defense at. His value is minimal. No MLB executive is gonna see him get hot for 20 games and cream their pants (he had pretty much the same wRC+ in march/april of last year)
    Has nothing to do with creaming their pants. Teams need useful players. Markakis is still a useful player, he will cost at most a PTBNL, and any team would only be on the hook for 5 million max. Players like him get traded every year, just like Melky last year.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    AA probably stands pat this deadline. Some smaller trades probably but nothing big. No need to pay deadline premium just for anpunchers chance at playoffs.
    Coppy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-23-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Has nothing to do with creaming their pants. Teams need useful players. Markakis is still a useful player, he will cost at most a PTBNL, and any team would only be on the hook for 5 million max. Players like him get traded every year, just like Melky last year.
    Agreed. But as long as we stay close to the playoff picture then why would we trade him. If he is a good fit for a contending club in need of a cheap bench bat and we are contending. Then why trade him.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    AA probably stands pat this deadline. Some smaller trades probably but nothing big. No need to pay deadline premium just for anpunchers chance at playoffs.
    It will depend on our position. If we're 8 or 9 games over .500, I could see him pushing the envelope.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (04-23-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    An extra 100K of fans into the ball park and battery means a lot to this organization. If we are within 3 games of the WC in late July expect a bullpen piece to be acquired.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Markakis may get traded at the deadline to one of the top-tier contenders that would use him as a LH pinch-hitter/DH/Spot starter at a corner OF spot. He has some value in that situation, but won't net much in return. Melky Cabrera netted two guys from the low minors, with the more highly-ranked player landing at #24 on the White Sox' prospect list (FV 45).

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-23-2018), Knucksie (04-23-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    If the Braves are still on the periphery of a WC spot, acquiring a guy with some control beyond 2018 might make sense.

Who that guy might be is obviously still a mystery, but it would be fun to finally talk about being buyers again.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (04-23-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If the Braves are still on the periphery of a WC spot, acquiring a guy with some control beyond 2018 might make sense.

Who that guy might be is obviously still a mystery, but it would be fun to finally talk about being buyers again.
    Should have quantified my stance. Big trades as in blockbuster deals. Going for a stud closer or big time outfielder. I could see a quality pitcher with some control to help the pen. Or a good bench/platoon type player. Nothing that will be excessive asset cost.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Should have quantified my stance. Big trades as in blockbuster deals. Going for a stud closer or big time outfielder. I could see a quality pitcher with some control to help the pen. Or a good bench/platoon type player. Nothing that will be excessive asset cost.
    I'd be fine with something similar to the trade that brought us Farnsworth/Ankiel back in the day
    Get off my lawn!

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I'd be fine with something similar to the trade that brought us Farnsworth/Ankiel back in the day
    Ankiel was interviewed as part of a story on Otani on National Public Radio the other day. Ankiel was one of the few two-way players who had any measure of success both pitching and hitting.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 04-23-2018 at 12:28 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The deadline cost for impact BP arms is crazy, so the Braves would be wise to stay out of that aisle.

However, the cost for position player rentals is much more realistic. For example, JDM was acquired for basically nothing. The Braves could be in position to upgrade 3B (or the OF) with a cheap rental, so why not? No idea who that rental might be, but Mous is just as likely as anyone else I suppose.

I guess the point is that the Braves may finally be in position to discuss additions at the deadline rather than dumping MLB talent, and that's the sign to me that the rebuild is over.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-23-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Guys like Brad Hand, Tony Watson, Barraclough, Hunter Strickland, Raisel Iglesias might make sense as targets if you are trying to buy something with control.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    We have been stockpiling high risk - high end arms in the minors. Along with some starters landing in the pen, I don’t see a major need. Could likely upgrade on Viz with Minter though. Swap em around
    Ivermectin Man

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-24-2018), jpx7 (04-23-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    We have been stockpiling high risk - high end arms in the minors. Along with some starters landing in the pen, I don’t see a major need. Could likely upgrade on Viz with Minter though. Swap em around
    Swap them around? One is going to pitch the 8th, the other the 9th. Does it matter which one pitches which inning?

As long as they are deployed with platoon advantages considered, it doesn't matter which inning they pitch.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Evad (04-23-2018), jpx7 (04-23-2018)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Its such a bad usage of our currency as well.

All resources to be earmarked for improving the club in 2018 should be devoted to the bullpen. End of story.
    if we are in the hunt upgrading 3B should be a priority. my whole premise for the idea was that he should be cheap.

BP arms are the riskiest investment long term and the most expensive at the deadline. Especially on a team that has arms for days. You could potentially break in a guy like Soroka as a stud pen arm for a playoff run if you so desired and the control piece worked out.

I do not believe in RF/Comargo/Bautista. Would be very happy to be wrong.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-23-2018)