Thread: Braves Current fWAR Position Rankings

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

Braves Current fWAR Position Rankings

Completely arbitrary timing, but here is how the Braves currently rank in terms of fWAR per position:

C: #5 - We knew Flowers/Suzuki was a good combo, and Flowers hasn't even played.
    1B: #3 - No duh.
    2B: #5 - Again, no duh.
    SS: #4 - Swanson's good start is probably the best news the Braves could have hoped for.
    3B: #10 - Lord BABIP Jr has been a godsend.
    LF: #15 - Tucker is a good 4th OFer, but the Braves need Acuna to come up and be Acuna.
    CF: #23 - Inciarte is certainly declining, but he probably won't be below average by the end of the season.
    RF: #11 - Markakis is what he is, and a 1 win RF for $11M isn't the worst thing in the world.

SP: #16 - Folty, Newk and McFragile have been as good or better than could be reasonably expected. Julio appears to be figuring out how to get by with declining velocity. Gohara is tracking back, and Soroka is Soroka-ing in AAA. This should be a Top 10 unit by next season.

BP: #11 - The BP isn't the dumpster fire everyone makes it out to be. AA built depth, and he is using the 10 day DL to utilize that depth exactly as predicted after spending time in the Dodgers FO. I expect this unit to improve incrementally by next year without AA having to spend any significant resources to do so.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 04-23-2018 at 01:28 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Chico (04-23-2018), jpx7 (04-23-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    We are due for some regression, yet some of the data and growth curve applies here as well to support what we have done.

The analytics are helping the pitchers with better positioning, the young arms have generally thrown well and have the stuff to back it up. Some of those numbers can be improved upon with Acuna bumping Tucker to a bench role.
    Ivermectin Man

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I don't understand how our starting pitchers are so far down the list. Their combined ERA is barely over 3 and at least top 6 in the league. It is because of the walks?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    I don't understand how our starting pitchers are so far down the list. Their combined ERA is barely over 3 and at least top 6 in the league. It is because of the walks?
    Julion had some stinkers...but I expect starting pitching to be a strong point this year
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    fWAR is FIP based so I'm sure some of our guys are just outperforming their FIP. But yes, a ton of walks even if they don't score will negatively effect this.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Completely arbitrary timing, but here is how the Braves currently rank in terms of fWAR per position:

C: #5 - We knew Flowers/Suzuki was a good combo, and Flowers hasn't even played.
    SS: #4 - Swanson's good start is probably the best news the Braves could have hoped for.
    LF: #15 - Tucker is a good 4th OFer, but the Braves need Acuna to come up and be Acuna.
    CF: #23 - Inciarte is certainly declining, but he probably won't be below average by the end of the season.
    RF: #11 - Markakis is what he is, and a 1 win RF for $11M isn't the worst thing in the world.

SP: #16 - Folty, Newk and McFragile have been as good or better than could be reasonably expected. Julio appears to be figuring out how to get by with declining velocity. Gohara is tracking back, and Soroka is Soroka-ing in AAA. This should be a Top 10 unit by next season.

BP: #11 - The BP isn't the dumpster fire everyone makes it out to be. AA built depth, and he is using the 10 day DL to utilize that depth exactly as predicted after spending time in the Dodgers FO. I expect this unit to improve incrementally by next year without AA having to spend any significant resources to do so.
    So we already have high Minors solutions for our roster shortcoming outside of a need for Ender to get better.

Looks like we are buyers... and the Bench/Bullpen is what we will be looking at.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    fWAR is FIP based so I'm sure some of our guys are just outperforming their FIP. But yes, a ton of walks even if they don't score will negatively effect this.
    In addition to this, WAR is a counting stat and the Braves also only have 109 innings from SP (20 GS), which ranks #20. They would likely rank a bit higher if ranked WAR/GS.

Side note: The Phils are posting surprisingly good SP numbers. They have a largely homegrown rotation, and a lot of money to spend. They have so much cash they could easily sign Machado or Harper. I expect them to be ascending to super team status as the Nats decline.

The NL East is trending to look a lot like the NL Central when the Cubs, Cards and Pirates were all legit postseason teams.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 04-23-2018 at 03:17 PM.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

Thank you. Nice options. Clearly some regression candidates.

BP can be upgraded w/o going crazy in trades. I think Viz, Minter, Carle and Freeman is a good start. I hope Weigel could be an option after the break.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-23-2018)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    In addition to this, WAR is a counting stat and the Braves also only have 109 innings from SP (20 GS), which ranks #20. They would likely rank a bit higher if ranked WAR/GS.

Side note: The Phils are posting surprisingly good SP numbers. They have a largely homegrown rotation, and a lot of money to spend. They have so much cash they could easily sign Machado or Harper. I expect them to be ascending to super team status as the Nats decline.

The NL East is trending to look a lot like the NL Central when the Cubs, Cards and Pirates were all legit postseason teams.
    Phillies are scary. They have a good young team and some good farm guys. Just signed Arrietta. They will sign a big name free agent.

For the Braves to be the team in the NL east we need to hit on Acuna, Swanson, Albies and at least 3 starting pitchers. One of those starting pitchers needs to be a star and two of Acuna, Swanson and Albies need to be 3+ WAR.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-23-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I think the Phils have a good team. I am not a fan of the Santana signing and I think Jake will continue his decline. I am not sure how Williams or their young SS will fair and definitely don’t like Alfaro offense. Has a great arm though. I am curious to see how the young starters will fair. I like Nola. But let’s see how they hold up when they face the rocks and gNats and cubs. They have had a really easy schedule. But to their credit they have done well and beaten the clubs they should. Sure the Braves will go 5-10 against the fish, reds, rays and bucs.
    Coppy

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts

Just going by FIP the Braves rank 12th in the league. The early part of the season where nobody could go 6 innings is hurting the WAR number right now but they have actually pitched well when in there.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Just going by FIP the Braves rank 12th in the league. The early part of the season where nobody could go 6 innings is hurting the WAR number right now but they have actually pitched well when in there.
    Don't we have like 12 straight games of SP not giving up more than 2 ER?