Page 33 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: Legal/scotus thread

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    With statements like this, you are making yourself into the right/libertarian version of 57. I spent the last three years of my college experience mostly sh*t-faced and I was no angel, but I never engaged like anything in a similar vein to what was purported to have happened in Kavanaugh's case. There's a difference between being chronically over-served and subjecting women to untoward advances. Maybe that's what the generation behind me did.

I'm not saying this is true, but I've tended to believe women in these situations over the years.
    I'm not the one who is using his drinking as "evidence" he's a rapist. That's the media at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    With statements like this, you are making yourself into the right/libertarian version of 57. I spent the last three years of my college experience mostly sh*t-faced and I was no angel, but I never engaged like anything in a similar vein to what was purported to have happened in Kavanaugh's case. There's a difference between being chronically over-served and subjecting women to untoward advances. Maybe that's what the generation behind me did, but my buddies and I were satisfied to get snot-slinging drunk.

I'm not saying this is true, but I've tended to believe women in these situations over the years.
    An 50, I love that you call this out but not enscheff literally calling me a rapist who should die

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Weird that after the Catholic Church scandal, the USA Gymnasitics scandal, Penn State, Bill Cosby, Harvey Weinstein, et al, that people still profess shock that accusers could stay silent for years, even decades. It makes that shock seem a tad disingenuous, IMO.
    To this end, Cosby gets sentenced during these revelations.

As recently as 2015 while Ferguson burned people on this forum were touting Cosby as a "proper" role model for young black men.

A very vocal forum participant recently opined that the Penn State situation had nothing to do with this.

On the day after being laughed and mocked at the UN Trump on Twitter goes after the lawyer of a survivor
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Trump on Twitter goes after the lawyer of a survivor
    So you believe the newest allegations are true?

If so, why?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    In the weeks this has been going on I have never said I "believed" anyone
    What have done is supported an investigation to sort out all of the stories
    Due process some call that

I do think Trump once again demeaned his office by engaging in a Twitter war with the lawyer representing the accuser / survivor.
    If I supervised a machine shop with 5 employees and had the responsibility of making widgets for a comfrabinator I wouldn't go out on that limb

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    So you believe the newest allegations are true?

If so, why?
    I don’t know if they’re true or not. I’m skeptical (because Avenatti) but I think the fact that the woman is willing to swear an affidavit, at the risk of her career and her freedom, is noteworthy. I think there’s already info in the public domain (Judge’s girlfriend, and also a contemporary of theirs who wrote in Slate a couple of days ago about knowledge of a “lineup,” ie a gang rape) that lends credence to the plausibility of the allegation. I’d assume an investigation was in order, and would take careful note of who supports and who opposes such an idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Let it not be lost that the same people fighting an investigation on this front are fighting tooth and nail to shut down the Mueller investigation.

Sunlight being the greatest disinfectant and all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    Lets all take a moment and agree that ensheff has gone off the deep end shall we?

Holy hell. I mean that's some decent sized hail stones thrown. Beyond 57 level stuff. Super too...

I love reading here, I really do. I love to see both points and sides "discussing the issues" of the day because I don't get a TON of differing perspective around me. BUT- this recent trend of painting people as criminals\racists\sexists because they have a different opinion on a topic is disturbing. I have noticed it crop up in more than one thread. No one's civil anymore. I can see why people stop posting here.

Some of you do a decent job, but that's the minority. This broad brush some use without knowing the character behind the username is depressing. If I'm guilty of such, then I apologize, but jeez guys\gals.... this isn't a good look. We can do better.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 09-26-2018 at 03:58 PM.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    An account of the milieu within which Ford and Kavanaugh crossed paths:

https://mont.thesentinel.com/2018/09...exual-assault/
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    I'm not the one who is using his drinking as "evidence" he's a rapist. That's the media at the moment.
    I think what's clear is he drank a lot. And like many others behaved quite differently when drunk. That much is clear.

And Judge was his wingman, with all rights, responsibilities and duties thereunto appertaining.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-26-2018 at 03:46 PM.

"I am your retribution."

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Just to put it out there: I was in and around a lot of drinking and drugs in HS and college. In all this time of getting after it pretty hard, the only exposure I ever had to the kind of stuff being alluded to in the Kavanaugh/Georgetown Prep stories was in the same context as is described here. The only place where sexual assault and date rape were commonplace were in these same elite circles, where there was a distinct, and toxic, culture of impunity. Now, my experiences are just my experiences, ymmv, but it does inform the way I view the current controversy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Just to put it out there: I was in and around a lot of drinking and drugs in HS and college. In all this time of getting after it pretty hard, the only exposure I ever had to the kind of stuff being alluded to in the Kavanaugh/Georgetown Prep stories was in the same context as is described here. The only place where sexual assault and date rape were commonplace were in these same elite circles, where there was a distinct, and toxic, culture of impunity. Now, my experiences are just my experiences, ymmv, but it does inform the way I view the current controversy.
    The only guy I knew from Montgomery County when I was in college was a very nice guy. He was the goalie on our intramural soccer team and after a few games he politely requested that I no longer play defense in front of him.

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    You are throwing that out as a strawman concocted by the media. That is not the gist of what is being leveled against Kavanaugh. I didn't even read Enscheff's entry, so I don't know what to say there, but both in this thread and the political correctness thread, you seem determined to marginalize anyone who has a complaint about the way things are going in this country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    I guess 3 women all decided to lie about what happened to them?

Folks realize this is the reason women don't come public with these accusations, right?

I could see 1 woman being convinced to lie. Maaaaybe 2. But 3? You have to be pretty drunk on the Trump pumpkin flavored koolaid to fall for that conspiracy theory. I suppose Trumpkins are precisely the type of people stupid enough to believe it...so no shock there.

Anyone who has the audacity to suggest 3 women are lying about being sexually abused by the same man is scum...and I hope they die sooner rather than later. We don't need "men" like that among us.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-26-2018 at 05:24 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Lets all take a moment and agree that ensheff has gone off the deep end shall we?

Holy hell. I mean that's some decent sized hail stones thrown. Beyond 57 level stuff. Super too...

I love reading here, I really do. I love to see both points and sides "discussing the issues" of the day because I don't get a TON of differing perspective around me. BUT- this recent trend of painting people as criminals\racists\sexists because they have a different opinion on a topic is disturbing. I have noticed it crop up in more than one thread. No one's civil anymore. I can see why people stop posting here.

Some of you do a decent job, but that's the minority. This broad brush some use without knowing the character behind the username is depressing. If I'm guilty of such, then I apologize, but jeez guys\gals.... this isn't a good look. We can do better.
    If you accuse 3 women of lying about being raped by the same man, you are scum, period.

I don't need to know anything more about you to make that determination. I don't need a brush to paint you as such...I can just dump the bucket of paint on you and call it good.

This is not a difference of opinion. This is someone being mortally repugnant and hiding behind calling it their opinion.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-26-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    i ask again...when will a man from Georgetown Prep speak out

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If you accuse 3 women of lying about being raped by the same man, you are scum, period.

I don't need to know anything more about you to make that determination. I don't need a brush to paint you as such...I can just dump the bucket of paint on you and call it good.

This is not a difference of opinion. This is someone being mortally repugnant and hiding behind calling it their opinion.
    You don’t know my position. You assume it. Just like Super.

The only thing I’ve said 10 pages ago was that finding the accused guilty with one 35 year old drunken testimony was ...a slippery slope. And to **** this guy because he’s a Gnats fan.

There is no call for posts like yours. You have no clue who I am and what those opinions may be. You are the same trash as the people you accuse of whatever you feel like without support or substance.

Whatever happened to you to make you this way, I hope you find peace. I lost a lot of respect for your opinion today.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    LOL, Ford beat those clowns to the punch before they could blabber the "take a polygraph test" line...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ExJ?li=BBnb7Kz

What are they going to say next to protect this scumbag?

When are Kav and Judge going to take their tests?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    You don’t know my position. You assume it. Just like Super.

The only thing I’ve said 10 pages ago was that finding the accused guilty with one 35 year old drunken testimony was ...a slippery slope. And to **** this guy because he’s a Gnats fan.

There is no call for posts like yours. You have no clue who I am and what those opinions may be. You are the same trash as the people you accuse of whatever you feel like without support or substance.

Whatever happened to you to make you this way, I hope you find peace. I lost a lot of respect for your opinion today.
    I was using "you" generally. And I couldn't care less about what you think of my opinion. I assign zero value to your "respect".

Allow me to rephrase...

If anyone accuses 3 women of lying about being sexually abused by the same man, that person is scum.

Agree or disagree? Rather than simply being contrarian, man up and state a position.

Your answer to that single question is enough for me to determine what kind of a man you are.