Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Increasing Over Reliance on WAR

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Well inherently offense will be be a heavier component. ITd not necessary to inflate one's importance over another.

Just the same I don't see any purpose the Gov was suggesting of tinkering with the theory. Just take the stat at face value and if you are actually going to analyze players, then just don't use WAR. There are far less volatile offensive statistics and at using multiple defensive metrics over multiple years corrects for a portion of the unreliability. But still I guve FO's the benefit of the doubt when it comes to defensive evaluations because they simply have much better sources of data then us especially in relation to defense.
    But, going back to the original post, people ARE relying on WAR to value players. Everybody likes a single number. It's shorthand. It's easier. So I think we're getting it wrong and I think we ought to improve it. It ain't goin' away.

What do you suppose these "better defensive metrics" are that teams use? I don't think they exist. I think there's guesswork.

And I think there's discounting.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    You seem to be suggesting I take whatever this invented formula is as truth. I don't think that's wise.
    I think it is unlikely you have bothered to fully examine the formula and see what the inputs actually are. If you don't like the results, the empiricist would example how those results were generated, rather than just saying "psshaw... obviously bogus."

I remember a few years ago, in Matt Kemp's (non-steroid) MVP year, he was absolutely hitting the dog**** out of the ball first half with average defense. Michael Bourn was having a great year before completely tailing off. But the WAR calc in July said Michael Bourn had created and prevented more runs than Kemp.
    This never happened. I think you are mixing up players and anecdotes. Kemp's near MVP year was 2011. Bourn actually had a negative DRS that year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    But, going back to the original post, people ARE relying on WAR to value players. Everybody likes a single number. It's shorthand. It's easier. So I think we're getting it wrong and I think we ought to improve it. It ain't goin' away.

What do you suppose these "better defensive metrics" are that teams use? I don't think they exist. I think there's guesswork.

And I think there's discounting.
    Well, if WAR's mission is to be an easy way to assess value then I think it's doing its job quite admirably. My whole purpose in the original post was to point out the flaw in that way of thinking.

And I absolutely believe teams have better proprietary data. That doesn't mean it contradicts the public data (I would say it would agree with it the vast majority of the time), but there are going to be inconsistencies. That's one of the many reasons why teams will differ greatly on some individual player evaluations.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    The teams have access to Field F/X.

http://www.sportvision.com/baseball/fieldfx®

If you really think they aren't using that info, then I don't know what to tell you.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-07-2014), chop2chip (12-07-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    I think it is unlikely you have bothered to fully examine the formula and see what the inputs actually are. If you don't like the results, the empiricist would example how those results were generated, rather than just saying "psshaw... obviously bogus."

This never happened. I think you are mixing up players and anecdotes. Kemp's near MVP year was 2011. Bourn actually had a negative DRS that year.
    It did happen, but in 2012. Kemp got off to a very hot start and got hurt. Somewhere in there I saw a comparison and knew that the stat was suspect. Kemp's OPS was over 1.000 at the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    The teams have access to Field F/X.

http://www.sportvision.com/baseball/fieldfx®

If you really think they aren't using that info, then I don't know what to tell you.

I didn't know this. When did they get this? Do you suppose they've been using this data for the last five years? Ten years?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Well inherently offense will be be a heavier component. ITd not necessary to inflate one's importance over another.

Just the same I don't see any purpose to what Gov was suggesting of tinkering with the theory. Just take the stat at face value and if you are actually going to analyze players, then just don't use WAR. There are far less volatile offensive statistics and using multiple defensive metrics over multiple years corrects for a portion of the unreliability. But Still give FO's the benefit of the doubt when it comes to defensive evaluations because they simply have much better sources of data then us especially in relation to defense.
    Yes the ratio should be at least 2 to 1. But probably less than 7 to 1. How is that for precision!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I don't think it's that odd for a player to have a better year in a given season (the Uggla example). To me that is what happened and should be presented as such. However going forward I wouldn't expect that to still be the case and as we saw the next season he performed at his expected level. Just like bad hitters can get hot for a month or two at a time. Poor defenders can be 'good' for a year.
    This is one part I don't buy. Poor defenders may not make as many poor plays over the course of a year, but should we really expect that Uggla improved his range any? He had the 2nd best fielding percentage of his career, so I can understand that he may have indeed performed better overall, but to the point that he was a positive defender? I just don't see it (and I certainly didn't see it with my eyes in 2012 either).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Btw there is an interesting analogy with an area I know something about. Gasoline prices are only about 5% of the Consumer Price Index. But account for 80-90% of the variation from month to month. Nothing wrong with that. It is simply the way the world it.

Similarly, defense might be only 10% of a position player's value. But it could still be right that it accounts for 80% of the season-to-season variation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Yes the ratio should be at least 2 to 1. But probably less than 7 to 1. How is that for precision!
    Nice!

I feel better hearing ".700 OPS with excellent defense" or ".850 OPS with average defense" than I do with a 2 WAR or 5 WAR player. And I wish that weren't so.

As Metaphysicist says, I haven't examined the individual components that go into the calculation, and I suppose that's on me. But I shouldn't have to. This great new stat is supposed to take everything into account and spit out one number for you to go on. Except it doesn't. And that's on the people that advance and compute the stat.

Maybe FieldFX will help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Btw there is an interesting analogy with an area I know something about. Gasoline prices are only about 5% of the Consumer Price Index. But account for 80-90% of the variation from month to month. Nothing wrong with that. It is simply the way the world it.

Similarly, defense might be only 10% of a position player's value. But it could still be right that it accounts for 80% of the season-to-season variation.

You really believe that?

Defense doesn't slump. Oh, wait, that's speed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    This is one part I don't buy. Poor defenders may not make as many poor plays over the course of a year, but should we really expect that Uggla improved his range any? He had the 2nd best fielding percentage of his career, so I can understand that he may have indeed performed better overall, but to the point that he was a positive defender? I just don't see it (and I certainly didn't see it with my eyes in 2012 either).

I thought he was adequate the year before, pretty good that year, and poor the year after. The quantification of that with DRS and Wins never jives with what I saw, though. The variances are more subtle.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    As Metaphysicist says, I haven't examined the individual components that go into the calculation, and I suppose that's on me. But I shouldn't have to. This great new stat is supposed to take everything into account and spit out one number for you to go on. Except it doesn't. And that's on the people that advance and compute the stat.
    If this how you view statistics then you shouldn't use them. But that doesn't make the stat categorically flawed.

B-ref states that the proper use of their WAR is to accept a range of about 1-2 Wins when assessing players. It's not as if they are championing it as the ultimate 'be all end all'.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I mean it depends. A good hitter with elite defense can be +40 runs above replacement. 20 on offense and 20 on defense. A great hitter with say average defense could also be on the +40 runs above replacement. Say 35-40 on offense and 0-5 on defense. So they could both provide the same amount or runs above replacement. Then you have to factor in things like playing time and the position they play.

To me a run created is the same as a run saved. Elite defenders will never be able to save as many runs as an elite hitter will be able to create. But that doesn't mean the runs they do save or create aren't equal.
    The main issue with this(at least for me) is that we have a clear understanding of how many runs a player generates on offense. He drives in 100 runs and scores 100 runs. Thus, he has created 200 runs. We can see that.

However, defensive runs are hypothetical. You don't actually know how many runs a player saves. It's based on actual data that is then compared to an imaginary replacement player. But the imaginary player never had a chance to make those plays.
    Last edited by Carp; 12-07-2014 at 01:11 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Also, aside from that Uggla example, you have Pat Burrell. A notoriously horrid defender, gets cut by the Rays in early 2010 I believe. Then goes to San Fran and UZR shows him as a positive defender. Again, I know about sample sizes, but defense is a different animal than offense. You simply can't hide some defensive deficiencies. I find it very hard to believe that Burrell performed well enough to be an asset defensively, even in the short time he was there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    The main issue with this(at least for me) is that we have a clear understanding of how many runs a player generates on offense. He drives in 100 runs and scores 100 runs. Thus, he has created 200 runs. We can see that.

However, defensive runs are hypothetical. You don't actually know how many runs a player saves. It's based on actual data that is then compared to an imaginary replacement player.
    I don't necessarily agree with your description of offense. In this traditional view 1 run is then double counted.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Also, aside from that Uggla example, you have Pat Burrell. A notoriously horrid defender, gets cut by the Rays in early 2010 I believe. Then goes to San Fran and UZR shows him as a positive defender. Again, I know about sample sizes, but defense is a different animal than offense. You simply can't hide some defensive deficiencies. I find it very hard to believe that Burrell performed well enough to be an asset defensively, even in the short time he was there.
    BJ played next to Pat in Tampa.

No wonder Pat sucked. BJ caught everything near him.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with your description of offense. In this traditional view 1 run is then double counted.
    Would only be double counted if he hit 100 solo home runs.

If he drives in run in one at bat and then scores a run his next time up, he has accounted for 2 runs. Now obviously scoring a run is mostly dependent on the people behind you, but you still had to reach base for the run to be scored.
    Last edited by Carp; 12-07-2014 at 01:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Would only be double counted if he hit 100 solo home runs.
    No, a run is always double counted because someone always scores the same run that is driven in.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    There are other metrics that back this up as well. He made 354 plays that year which is by far the most of his career including 50 that were out of his zone which is the most he had made since 2007. He was at 39 and 23 the previous two years. His revized zone rating that year was 833 which was the bset of his career and miles ahead of anything he had done recently. So yes everything points to him having better range that season. It can happen. Was it a fluke? Certainly. But bad fielders can have good seasons just like bad hitters can have good months.