Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast

Thread: gdt 10.3.19: time to defrock these molestering cardinals and their enabler holbrook

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,797 Posts
    Shake it off and go get em in Game 2
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Never thought I would say this, but tomorrow is a must lose.
    Agreed. Too bad the Braves will choke.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (10-04-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    I love Freddie, but dear Jesus, man. How many times is he going to comment on Acuña? We get it, but keep some things in-house.

Freeman on Acuña not running out of box: “It is frustrating.... That can’t happen in the postseason. It can’t happen in the regular season.... Unfortunately tonight it did.”

Said you have that conversation once, which they did, and after that it’s beating a dead horse.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Honestly, what I have seen are two teams that didn't execute well. Both have been on the edge of disaster many times, both missed many chances, and both had good and bad luck throughout the game. Pitching wasn't great on either side, in general - not the kind of pitching that wins championships, that's for sure.

I think it can still be an interesting series but, honestly, I don't see any of the two teams as a potential NLCS winner. The Cards, though, won a WS earlier this decade with probably the worst team to ever get a championship, so you never know. As for us, well, we have more ceiling so we are in good position for next years, although we don't seem ready to win now.

That said, it would be great to even just win the NLDS to get out of this postseason hole...

Will Melancon try to close game 2, if the chance arises, after 28 pitches in game 1?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    334 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I love Freddie, but dear Jesus, man. How many times is he going to comment on Acuña? We get it, but keep some things in-house.

Freeman on Acuña not running out of box: “It is frustrating.... That can’t happen in the postseason. It can’t happen in the regular season.... Unfortunately tonight it did.”

Said you have that conversation once, which they did, and after that it’s beating a dead horse.
    Would’ve loved to hear someone ask Freddie about Markakis’ lack of hustle in charging that ball in the 9th inning and allowing Fowler to get to 3rd.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    531 Posts
    I missed the post game interviews. Did Snitker ever take blame for his bullpen usage or did he focus on one of the few offensive bright spots of the night making a gaffe for 3 seconds in the game?
    Last edited by WaitingFor2017; 10-04-2019 at 07:06 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie Swanson View Post
    Would’ve loved to hear someone ask Freddie about Markakis’ lack of hustle in charging that ball in the 9th inning and allowing Fowler to get to 3rd.
    yup. why was he not automatically trying to throw to 3rd?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cjnoles9399 View Post
    I knew this in the back of my mind. Gen X’er, economics degree, in charge. Say no more. 162 games of how this game is played isn’t undone in less than 2 hours because it’s the playoffs. The game reeked of a nerd in his parents basement playing it on a Monte Carlo simulation as soon as Dallas was pulled. This is what we ended up with.
    oh lord
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    At least we didn't lose because of Sam Holbrook.

The Acuna thing, while unfortunate, is overblown. The pen collapsing with bad decisions from Snit are not. I expect us to work Flaherty hard like the Braves did against the top pitchers from the Nats/Mets when they were the hottest teams on the planet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,698 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    At least we didn't lose because of Sam Holbrook.

The Acuna thing, while unfortunate, is overblown. The pen collapsing with bad decisions from Snit are not. I expect us to work Flaherty hard like the Braves did against the top pitchers from the Nats/Mets when they were the hottest teams on the planet.
    Donaldson snaps out of it today

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Donaldson snaps out of it today
    Meh. He should of had another rbi last night with Ronnie on 2nd. I do think he homers today

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    It's pretty clear last night was a mess with boneheaded plays, lack of hustle (by more than Acuna...), bad managing, lack of clutch hitting and terrible bullpen play. But it is what it is and the Braves have to grab a win today. I won't say must-win but it's about as close as you can get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Very likely that if Acuña is on 3rd with 1 out that the infield plays in to cut off the run at home. That line drive is in the outfield and maybe even splits the outfielders for extra bases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    So two plays that I really struggled with during the game was the Acuna steal in the first coming off a hip\groin issue on Molina, and the attempt to get Mac to third... I just don't get trying to press that action with either.
    Ivermectin Man

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdat View Post
    Cardinals are such a piece of **** double standard franchise with their respect the game bull****. How many needles do you need sticking out of your ass to respect the game?
    Never forget Molina was one of the Cards mocking the Braves chanting "Infiled fly!" over and over after a particular game...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    The Cardinals weren't thrilled by how Ronald Acuña Jr. rounded the bases on his 9th inning homer, enough that Yadier Molina went to the mound to calm Carlos Martinez down afterwards.

Postgame, Martinez said: "I wanted him to respect the game & respect me as a veteran player."

Lol someone might want to tell him Molina was pumping his fists after he threw out Acuña in the first inning of game 1 like he was Jordan after sinking a game winning shot in game 7.
    If white privilege could take on the form of a baseball team, it'd be the St. Louis Cardinals.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (10-04-2019), The Chosen One (10-04-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    crazy game with lots of twists and turns

there is one tactical decision that stands out to me that has not been discussed much

I thought Melancon should have pitched around Carpenter in the 8th. Not intentionally walk him, but not give him anything in the strike zone. There were two outs with runners on first and second. The pitcher's spot was due up next and the Cards had already used up their best pinch hitters. Just Wieters and a couple weak-hitting right handed hitters left on the bench. I would have taken my chances on those guys.

The other decision I second guess was not using Flowers instead of Cervelli as pinch hitter/defensive replacement.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-04-2019 at 08:44 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I hope personally Ronald hits one tonight, takes a wide turn around third-base, and does a level of S-tier hot dog **** that hasn’t even been invented yet.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (10-04-2019), Tapate50 (10-04-2019)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I hope personally Ronald hits one tonight, takes a wide turn around third-base, and does a level of S-tier hot dog **** that hasn’t even been invented yet.
    Somersaults all the way from third to home, punctuated by fist pumps.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Never forget Molina was one of the Cards mocking the Braves chanting "Infiled fly!" over and over after a particular game...
    I find it hard to take seriously the opinions of a thirty-plus year old adult male who bleaches his hair.