Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That **** Colon bobble-head ...

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

That **** Colon bobble-head ...

Knowing how bottom line oriented teams can be, I can't shake the feeling that the Braves are refusing to pull the plug on Big Sexy because they still have his freaking bobble-head to give away.

My cynicism will be healed if he is gone before the Braves return home, but if he is cut within 10 days of that giveaway, I think we'll have our smoking gun that this is exactly the case. Meanwhile, we get to have the knowledge that every five days we will see the opponents blow up and our bullpen get maxed out.

What a sorry investment he was. Makes it tougher to appreciate what a steal Garcia was and how Dickey will burn plenty of innings for us this year.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Would personally still rather see Colon get trounced every five days than blow any chance of developing Newcomb as a starter because he gets forced into the rotation like Wisler and Blair. Neither he or Sims is "ready", so just let it ride until someone else pitches their way into his spot.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-03-2017)

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts
    At this point, may as well keep him for that Bobblehead promotional date on June 9th. He'll have one more start before then, so what's one more game in the grand scheme of this Freeman-less season.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    At this point, may as well keep him for that Bobblehead promotional date on June 9th. He'll have one more start before then, so what's one more game in the grand scheme of this Freeman-less season.
    That's what it appears is happening. It will be interesting to see if they continue to throw him out there after that. What could muddy the waters is that he could suddenly pitch one good game, be described as "fixed", continue pitching, and go right back to throwing batting practice. Hope they either cut bait or he actually becomes decent again if they refuse. Not holding my breath on the latter.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Well of course they are keeping him in the rotation until Bobblehead Day. The question is....why would you give a guy on a one year deal at his age (knowing his current performance was a possibility), a Bobblehead Day??? Really unbelievable....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    It happens sometimes. There was a Juan Uribe bobblehead day a couple years ago for the Dodgers? after he'd already been traded. I assure you it has much more to do with Newcomb and Sims not quite being ready...

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I still say the bobblehead should just be a bowling ball with a Braves' logo and his number painted on it.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Well of course they are keeping him in the rotation until Bobblehead Day. The question is....why would you give a guy on a one year deal at his age (knowing his current performance was a possibility), a Bobblehead Day??? Really unbelievable....
    I hated this signing from the get-go. I call it a "smurf" signing because Bartolo is just so gol' darn cute and funny. "Look at fat Bartolo pitch! He gets them out because he's just so crafty!" "Look at fat Bartolo post a goofy workout video where he doesn't work out!" The whole thing was just too cute by half. I get the criticism of the front office on a number of fronts, but have been patient because I know it's a rebuild. But I cannot abide this signing.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I hated this signing from the get-go. I call it a "smurf" signing because Bartolo is just so gol' darn cute and funny. "Look at fat Bartolo pitch! He gets them out because he's just so crafty!" "Look at fat Bartolo post a goofy workout video where he doesn't work out!" The whole thing was just too cute by half. I get the criticism of the front office on a number of fronts, but have been patient because I know it's a rebuild. But I cannot abide this signing.
    these signings are not so bad being just one year mistakes. screwing up draft picks, bad trades and multi year FA bust are more damaging. this was just a stop gap to hopefully keep our pitching in AAA this year.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    these signings are not so bad being just one year mistakes. screwing up draft picks, bad trades and multi year FA bust are more damaging. this was just a stop gap to hopefully keep our pitching in AAA this year.
    There were about a dozen guys out there who could have been obtained for less money.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    There were about a dozen guys out there who could have been obtained for less money.
    With career numbers that came anywhere close to Colon's? Really???

I'm as frustrated as everyone else with him, but I'll also be the first to admit that I absolutely LOVED the signing when it was announced, and if anyone cares to dig it up, pretty much everyone here did as well. While it was understandable to expect some dropoff, no one expected we'd see this. It happens.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (06-01-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I agree.. but none of those would make this team a true playoff. All come with their own risk.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I agree.. but none of those would make this team a true playoff. All come with their own risk.
    That's true. I just think there's this odd quality to Colon that seduced the front office (and seduces a lot of fans). He's junk.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    That's true. I just think there's this odd quality to Colon that seduced the front office (and seduces a lot of fans). He's junk.
    One factor was he dominated us for 2 years straight. I think the FO also thought he could be a good mentor for the young staff. That might still be the case and just haven't seen the results yet.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    One factor was he dominated us for 2 years straight. I think the FO also thought he could be a good mentor for the young staff. That might still be the case and just haven't seen the results yet.
    A 285 pound blob as a mentor. Great move.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Hawk (06-01-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    I think me and 50 were the only ones who didn't like the signing. I liked Dickey though.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I didn't hate the signing and I certainly didn't think he would be this bad. I just thought he would be very average.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I think me and 50 were the only ones who didn't like the signing. I liked Dickey though.
    http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/sh...l=1#post350647

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I liked Dickey though.
    Until you found the gloryholes at the Honeybaked Ham store.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Jace + 10 mil for Matt Cain?