Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If we are ranking Top 3 Bonehead Moves it has to go:

1. HO trade
    2. Swanson promotion
    3. Packaging BJ with Kimbrel

I am open to putting them in any order, but those moves were bad at the time, and have proven to be worse as time passed. They are truly inexcusably bad moves with zero justification in the past, present or future.

I don't consider the Simmons trade quite as bad as those 3 because someone on here was able to convince me that taking Aybar back was not considered added value, so his inclusion didn't lower the return for Simmons.

The Kemp trade wasn't in that group of terrible moves because they only took on as much additional payroll as Kemp is likely worth...even if they will never be able to trade him. Same with Markakis...can't be too mad at adding a guy that was worth his deal.
    The BJ Upton trade is the one that pissed me off the most. I'll never forgive Coppy for pulling that stunt. The dude is as dumb as he looks.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I don't believe you are correct about that.
    It's on BA's website. Go to the draft page for any team and hit the pool tab for any selection past Round 10. It says there that the bonus limit without draft pick penalty for any player is $564,060. I thought there was an upper limit, but I thought it was higher than that.

Edit--Reading the info again, the $564,060 number is the Braves' number and it may be derived from the amount that would be left over if the top ten picks all signed for their slot value. At any rate, I can't see how the Yankees could get to Beck's likely demands without surrendering a draft pick.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 06-14-2017 at 09:04 PM.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    It's on BA's website. Go to the draft page for any team and hit the pool tab for any selection past Round 10. It says there that the bonus limit without draft pick penalty for any player is $564,060. I thought there was an upper limit, but I thought it was higher than that.

Edit--Reading the info again, the $564,060 number is the Braves' number and it may be derived from the amount that would be left over if the top ten picks all signed for their slot value. At any rate, I can't see how the Yankees could get to Beck's likely demands without surrendering a draft pick.
    Yeah that looks like just the Braves number if all first team guys signed for exactly slot. I am fairly sure all that number is is the total draft budget times 5% + 100k. If all the guys sign at slot, there is no draft budget left. All picks after 10 could sign for $100k. However, I think teams can go over their entire draft budget up to 5% without losing a pick so if you add 5% of a teams draft budget to $100k allowed for any pick after round 10, you get that $564k max for a pick after round ten for the Braves.

If the Yankees can somehow not spend $1.5 to $2M of their $6.2M draft budget on the first ten picks, they could be able to sign Beck for that $1.5 to $2M bonus, though I don't find that likely. Their first five picks look like guys who will sign right at their slots with picks 6 through 10 being senior signs who they can sign on the cheap. However, their picks 6 through 10 had a combined draft budget of only around $880k and they signed some other highly ranked guys on the third day as well. I don't see how they could sign the first ten guys they selected for more than $1m below their budget. Schmidt probably signs under slot but Sauer looks like he will be an over slot guy.
    Last edited by Pachoo; 06-14-2017 at 11:42 PM.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    As far ask I can tell, these are the guys we selected on day three that were ranked in Baseball America's top 500 list, with their Baseball America ranking in parantheses:

11. Drew Lugbauer C - University of Michigan 378)
    27. Randy Bednar CF - Landon School (HS) (270)
    29. Cade Cavalli RHP - Bixby HS (HS) (295)
    32. Reid Detmers LHP - Glenwood HS (HS) (422)
    33. Chris McMahon RHP - West Chester Rustin HS (HS) (76)

Anyone I missed? Obviously, signing Chris McMahon is probably a pipe dream.
    Last edited by Pachoo; 06-15-2017 at 12:02 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pachoo For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-15-2017), jpx7 (06-15-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachoo View Post
    Yeah that looks like just the Braves number if all first team guys signed for exactly slot. I am fairly sure all that number is is the total draft budget times 5% + 100k. If all the guys sign at slot, there is no draft budget left. All picks after 10 could sign for $100k. However, I think teams can go over their entire draft budget up to 5% without losing a pick so if you add 5% of a teams draft budget to $100k allowed for any pick after round 10, you get that $564k max for a pick after round ten for the Braves.

If the Yankees can somehow not spend $1.5 to $2M of their $6.2M draft budget on the first ten picks, they could be able to sign Beck for that $1.5 to $2M bonus, though I don't find that likely. Their first five picks look like guys who will sign right at their slots with picks 6 through 10 being senior signs who they can sign on the cheap. However, their picks 6 through 10 had a combined draft budget of only around $880k and they signed some other highly ranked guys on the third day as well. I don't see how they could sign the first ten guys they selected for more than $1m below their budget. Schmidt probably signs under slot but Sauer looks like he will be an over slot guy.
    I think the Braves' problem (if one can call it a problem) is that they may have to move money forward to go overslot on Wright and Waters. Curious to see what Tarnok signs for. Four through ten will all likely be below slot (although hard to tell with Bacon), but the amount of money saved in those rounds doesn't add up to much unless you go way low.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-15-2017)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    So with the draft over.......... we aren't that far away from seeing Danville and the GCL teams fire it up.

The Maitan era begins!!!!!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-15-2017), DaneHill (06-15-2017), mqt (06-15-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    read an article that the Braves and Wright are close to a deal. the article said 7 million. I still can't believe we have to go over that much to sign him.. but I think the poster who said we might have cut a deal prior to draft to hopefully make him slide down is right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    read an article that the Braves and Wright are close to a deal. the article said 7 million. I still can't believe we have to go over that much to sign him.. but I think the poster who said we might have cut a deal prior to draft to hopefully make him slide down is right.
    Fine with me. We have so much depth in our system that we really were setup to perfectly go for that one guy we really wanted. Wright could be worth that and more.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    If $7 million is what it takes to get him, then so be it. If we sign our entire top 10 and add some organizational depth and intriguing bullpen options from 11-40 then I'm perfectly happy with how the draft turned out. We're in a quality over quantity part of our rebuild.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-15-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    So with the draft over.......... we aren't that far away from seeing Danville and the GCL teams fire it up.

The Maitan era begins!!!!!
    I hope Waters signs quickly and is assigned to the GCL. It could be a VERY fun GCL team to follow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I hope Waters signs quickly and is assigned to the GCL. It could be a VERY fun GCL team to follow.
    Saw an article that said Waters will sign on Saturday and be honored at SunTrust Park, and he'll head to Orlando from there to join the GCL team. That should put him in line to be on the team when it opens a week from today. Would be fun to see Waters, Maitan, and Gutierrez on the field together.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-15-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Saw an article that said Waters will sign on Saturday and be honored at SunTrust Park, and he'll head to Orlando from there to join the GCL team. That should put him in line to be on the team when it opens a week from today. Would be fun to see Waters, Maitan, and Gutierrez on the field together.
    Have a feeling that GCL team will get a lot of attention.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    We have an exciting crop in A+ and AA ball.... about to have a whole new exciting crop in Rookie/A ball. Future should be bright. Even though this year sucks I'm excited for a high draft pick one more year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I read Wright, Waters, and Tarnok will all be expensive signs. I'll take the upside for it, though.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Sounds like Tarnok is an overslot guy as well.

"Their binge on seniors is likely to allow them to sign high schooler Freddy Tarnok, the Braves' third round pick who will require more than the $709K pick value to sign."

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/236289...icid=151437456

Johnathon Mayo

So if its $7 million for Wright, slightly overslot for Waters and overslot for Tarnok ----- there's our draft budget hahhaa.

I'm totally OK with this too. The Braves wouldn't do this if they didn't feel like Wright was the best player in the draft.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-15-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Sounds like Tarnok is an overslot guy as well.

"Their binge on seniors is likely to allow them to sign high schooler Freddy Tarnok, the Braves' third round pick who will require more than the $709K pick value to sign."

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/236289...icid=151437456

Johnathon Mayo

So if its $7 million for Wright, slightly overslot for Waters and overslot for Tarnok ----- there's our draft budget hahhaa.

I'm totally OK with this too. The Braves wouldn't do this if they didn't feel like Wright was the best player in the draft.
    Agreed, I'm glad we did this for a change. We got 3 major talents. I'm also very intrigued by Bacon.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-15-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Just in the last 3 drafts:

Allard
    Soroka
    Riley
    Minter
    Weigel
    Anderson
    Wentz
    Muller
    Wilson
    Wright
    Waters

That's a ton of legit talent. Pretty remarkable. I left out Cumberland because he's still fringy to me. I also wonder when Lawlor will get pushed up to be tested more, because he's been very good.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I love when someone lists out a bunch of names as if poutting them in list format makes the group more impressive haha.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I love when someone lists out a bunch of names as if poutting them in list format makes the group more impressive haha.
    its more impressive when there are a bunch of posts in a row with one name each

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Managuarantano's Volunteers For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (06-15-2017)

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    On a serious note, enjoyed this draft. Pretty excited about Wright and Tarnok, both have a lot of potential. Waters looks good too (I'd prefer a higher hit tool grade but I realize scouts were saying it was really good for HS Senior).

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Managuarantano's Volunteers For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (06-15-2017)