Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Freddie to third base??

Roaming in Rome
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Of course. But if there was any chance of that, it is highly doubtful he ever would have been moved to 1B.
    Kind of, but really it's hard to say. We still had Chipper at the time, and if the FO at the time thought they could fast track his bat to the majors with the position swap then I'd understand it. Similar to a lot of MiLB catchers with advanced bats getting moved off the position to advance them more quickly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    I hate to sound like a Debbie Downer but I don't see how this works. If Freddie had elite range at first there might be a chance but he doesn't. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.
    What's better... Adams at 1st and ff at 3rd or ff at 1b and Garcia at 3b? That's most likely gonna be the 2 choices

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Of course. But if there was any chance of that, it is highly doubtful he ever would have been moved to 1B.
    We moved Albies to 2b bc of a fellow minor leaguer at the time. I can see moving a hitter of FF's level to 1st bc we had a great 3b at MLB level

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I love having Matt Adams in the lineup all the time but no way I move Freddie for him. Now if it was for Goldy..that's another story.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    What's better... Adams at 1st and ff at 3rd or ff at 1b and Garcia at 3b? That's most likely gonna be the 2 choices
    It needn't be, especially with Camargo and Ruiz as options this year, and literally any available actual 3B as an option going forward.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    We moved Albies to 2b bc of a fellow minor leaguer at the time. I can see moving a hitter of FF's level to 1st bc we had a great 3b at MLB level
    Albies played his first 2 full years at SS and was moved in AA to play alongside the other SS prospect, both having roughly the same timeline.

Freeman played 5 games at 3B and was moved to 1B in rookie ball at age 17 when Chipper was 35.

It is highly doubtful Freeman's move to 3B had anything at all to do with Chipper. If that's why we moved him, we're really dumb.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-21-2017), Southcack77 (06-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    It needn't be, especially with Camargo and Ruiz as options this year, and literally any available actual 3B as an option going forward.
    I'd go with camargo. I just think it'll be Adonis

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    First, what's a cooper?

Second, are you seriously trying to argue CJ was a good hitter and he didn't come crashing back to earth the season after his crazy BABIP season?
    a cooper is a barrel maker.

Again your reading comprehension is as poor as your vocabulary. The point is that you don't know what is going to happen. You act like statistics have this magic power to normalize at X time. In Chris Johnson's case he didn't normalize in a season like you say Matt Adams WILL DO. He didn't normalize until the following season. My point is Adams could have a 900 OPS for atlanta and 700 OPS the next year.

You don't know what you think you know.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    I'd go with camargo. I just think it'll be Adonis
    If Camargo keeps babipping he'll be ahead of Garcia.
    Forever Fredi

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I think this is a terrible Idea for the record.

It's not like Adams is controlled 3+ years after this and is a big time prospect. This is atlanta being idiots to try and win 75 games instead of 72.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-21-2017)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    595 Posts
    If Freeman wants to do this I see no reason not to let him try. Best case scenario he plays a competent 3b and we can fill that hole for the long term while keeping Adams to play 1b. Most likely scenario he's terrible at 3b and we're right back where we started. Worst case scenario he gets hurt playing 3b and isn't as good going forward as he is now. I tend to think the reward outweighs the risk here. A successful move to 3b could change the change the entire outlook of the rebuild and I don't think Freeman is much more likely to get hurt playing 3b than he is 1b. Imagine a 2018 lineup of

Inciarte
    Swanson
    Freeman
    Kemp
    Adams
    Flowers
    Neck/Acuna
    Albies

Strong hitters in the corners strong defense up the middle.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    But Castilla was a worse player overall, even when his bat rebounded after his abysmal first season.

I maintain that I don't like moving your team's best player off his best position for an inferior player, no matter who you want to say that inferior player "actually replaced in the lineup".

Pretty long history of players changing positions to accommodate declining defense or better defenders. Chipper was surprisingly terrible at 3B in the years leading up to that move as I recall. And surprisingly competent when he came back. not sure what happened to him for a bit. Hooters maybe.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (06-22-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Freeman seems serious about it in his interview. It will almost certainly be a disaster, but you have to admire his willingness to put the team first.

Nobody can ever claim Freeman isn't the model franchise player, that's for sure.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-21-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    I'm game.

Weird baseball is the best baseball.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

rico43 (06-21-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Kemp to 1B, Freddie to LF, Adams to 3B. Win all the championships.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (06-21-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (06-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Freeman seems serious about it in his interview. It will almost certainly be a disaster, but you have to admire his willingness to put the team first.

Nobody can ever claim Freeman isn't the model franchise player, that's for sure.
    My sources say ticket sells along the 3rd base side are struggling. FO strikes again

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Pretty long history of players changing positions to accommodate declining defense or better defenders. Chipper was surprisingly terrible at 3B in the years leading up to that move as I recall. And surprisingly competent when he came back. not sure what happened to him for a bit. Hooters maybe.
    "Pretty long history" is not commensurate with "a good idea." There was a "pretty long history" of blood-letting to cure a variety of ailments; that didn't make it good medicine.

If Chipper had moved to accommodate early-2000s Scott Rolen, it'd have been one thing; but many of us, at the time, saw substantial drop-off/collapse potential in Castilla's bat, coming over from Colorado, and didn't think his glove outweighed other considerations.

But that horse was beaten into second-death long ago. Meanwhile, in the case of Freeman, the "long history of players changing positions to accommodate declining defense or better defenders" is pretty immaterial, since Freeman's defense isn't declining, and Adams isn't a superior defender; so really, what you're talking about, in this case, is making the defense at two positions worse.

As for Chipper's late-career improvement to average defense? Probably Hooters—but I wouldn't be surprised if a little of it wasn't watching a Sucking Vortex of Doom man his position for a hot minute.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    ok so Freddie moves to 3b, you have a couple weeks to try it out and see how it works before the trade deadline, no harm is finding out, if it works you just freed up the need for a 3b. If not you tried and it failed, nothing ventured nothing gained. A decent Freddie at 3b becomes the best hitting 3b in the NL. Everyone here has been talking for a long time about the need to find a 3b, this would free up money for a top line pitcher somewhere along the road.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Yes, I work in the gaming industry. It's a little pathetic you decided to Google my user name though. Wow lol.

What exactly do you think I've ever lied about? As usual, I'll offer a "leave the board bet" to someone trying to call me out. And as usual, you won't take me up on it.

Wouldn't it be easiest just to catch me in a lie and have me gone forever? It would only take one of you twits to accept...
    You know you've made it to the big time when they Google your username. Ask zito and brule about that happening at scout. Btw heathstone is awesome. Play that **** everyday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,292 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    http://www.hearthpwn.com/members/Enscheff/posts

I don't know what that is, but this enscheff seems more like a 26 year old gaming nerd rather than the macho man he desperately wants strangers on the internet to see him as.

I second the whole just ignore him thing. Only way to make a troll go away.
    Hey, I hate what the guy brings to this board as much as the next guy, but no jabs at the video game industry. I got a decent career in it and I love video games too. So it works out. Got to test out a Xbox One X dev kit last week. Beastly machine for a console.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to TURBO For This Useful Post: