Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How Do We Compete in 2017?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I think I got it, they will just make the outfield wall 300 on both corners and 350 to center so we can score runs in the new stadium.
    The old stadium was known as the launching pad. One of the better hitter friendly parks in the league. I have no doubts that the new stadium could be one as well if they wanted it to be. Turner Field was made to fit our HOF rotation at the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I have no problem with our scouting department pursuing Moncada and making him an offer, even if signing him is a Hail Mary. We need to establish a presence in the market, develop relationships, and show we mean business.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I could see us taking a page from the Rays and The A's to stockpile our bats needed to compete. The Rays have been flipping their pitching when it gets expensive as they have the arms coming up to do so, and the A's have long been signing guys they can flip in July. We'll be sellers this year and the hope is guys like Minor, Grilli, Jim Johnson, and Callaspo are intriguing to other teams and we can start working on stockpiling some bats finally. It's going to take some luck, but we can most definitely compete sooner rather than later if we use our prospects the right way.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I could see us taking a page from the Rays and The A's to stockpile our bats needed to compete. The Rays have been flipping their pitching when it gets expensive as they have the arms coming up to do so, and the A's have long been signing guys they can flip in July. We'll be sellers this year and the hope is guys like Minor, Grilli, Jim Johnson, and Callaspo are intriguing to other teams and we can start working on stockpiling some bats finally. It's going to take some luck, but we can most definitely compete sooner rather than later if we use our prospects the right way.
    The thing I always noticed about the Rays -- at least when Friedman was GM -- is that they always asked for (and usually got) a young arm in any trade.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-16-2015)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I have no problem with our scouting department pursuing Moncada and making him an offer, even if signing him is a Hail Mary. We need to establish a presence in the market, develop relationships, and show we mean business.
    Shoot, I don't have any problem pursuing him. I'm glad that we are. I just don't think it's realistic for people to post here like we've got the inside track on signing him or that he's Schuerhart's top secret, surefire plan for the Cobb County Braves to win the pennant in 2017.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-16-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Keep in mind that the Yanks and Sox can't sign Moncada if he doesn't become eligible to sign by mid June. So there is that possibility I guess.
    thank you weso1!

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Keep in mind that the Yanks and Sox can't sign Moncada if he doesn't become eligible to sign by mid June. So there is that possibility I guess.
    Correct. And Kiley McDaniel over at Fangraphs believes Moncada will sign before opening day (and maybe well before)- OFAC is one of those agencies that could move at any time, and once he is cleared, I suspect the bidding will be fast and furious. That's not to say the Braves have any advantage over anyone else- just that I tend to agree with Kiley that I think he'll get his clearance before June

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Many outlets have reported we are scouting him heavily

http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...cada-showcase/

http://www.chatsports.com/atlanta-br...ada-2-10714728

Seems like a waste of time and effort if we had no interest in at least giving the bidding process a try. Does that mean we will get him? Obviously not... but we are very clearly interested.

You don't send Blakeley and Clark if you aren't at least a bit serious.
    The links are useful, and I thank you for citing them, but they don't really speak to my question. Legitimate—even legitimately serious—interest in not commensurate with likelihood of success. Everything I've read suggests he's headed to one of the big-market, bigger-wallet teams, and considering the likely cost and the Braves' frequent cost-aversion, it doesn't seem reasonable to even talk about counting this chicken unless it hatches.

In other words, until there's an announcement that the Braves have shocked the industry and signed Moncada, we should all operate under the premise that he will not be a part of the Braves' teams any time in the near-future.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (01-16-2015), MadduxFanII (01-16-2015)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Yeah. I said it in another thread, but it sums up my thinking pretty succinctly: I'll believe that Moncada is going to be a Brave when his signature is on a Braves contract. Otherwise, I'm gonna assume it's a no.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    Agreed with JP and Cocaine Dude. I certainly don't begrudge our front office the attempt at Moncada. It seems like a perfectly reasonable use of time, and there's no reason not to make the effort. Just seems like far too much is working against us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    The links are useful, and I thank you for citing them, but they don't really speak to my question. Legitimate—even legitimately serious—interest in not commensurate with likelihood of success. Everything I've read suggests he's headed to one of the big-market, bigger-wallet teams, and considering the likely cost and the Braves' frequent cost-aversion, it doesn't seem reasonable to even talk about counting this chicken unless it hatches.

In other words, until there's an announcement that the Braves have shocked the industry and signed Moncada, we should all operate under the premise that he will not be a part of the Braves' teams any time in the near-future.
    I disagree... Message boards were designed to talk about ideas just like this. And I haven't heard anyone on here say we are likely to sign him just that it's possible and would be good for the team. Anything else, I think you guys are reading into things a bit much.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    I'll explain why I'm asking, even though I do mean this as a legit question.

So far as I can tell, in order for us to be a legit contender in the East come 2017, we need:

1. Absolutely no bad luck with our existing young starting pitchers- no injuries, no regression
    2. Miller needs to, at the very least, solidify himself as a solid, middle-of-the-rotation starter and hopefully improve
    3. Good luck with the prospect pitchers we've acquired- Foltynewicz and Jenkins in particular. They need to stay healthy and keep moving up the ladder
    4. Kimbrel has to stay healthy and stave off any further decline in command
    5. Freeman has to be more like the 2013 Freddie and less like the 2014 model- he certainly can't take a step back
    6. Simmons has to either improve offensively or remain at such an otherworldly defensive level that he merits an everyday job
    7. One of Jace Peterson or Rio Ruiz has to grab the third base job
    8. Peraza has to develop into a solid second baseman
    9. Someone has to come out of nowhere or be acquired to play left field
    10. Someone has to come out of nowhere or be acquired to play center (we'll put "BJ Upton regains his stroke" as "coming out of nowhere")
    11. Markakis has to remain a solid everyday player through his early-30's
    12. Bethancourt either has to hit a little or really be as extraordinary defensively as the organization insists he is

And I have to say, that just...that seems like a lot of things have to go right. And there doesn't seem to be much margin for error. So I'm wondering if I'm overlooking something.
    This is how I see it:

Braves go after Dexter Fowler as FA next year for CF. Bethancourt becomes league average behind the plate with the bat and becomes what everyone thinks he can be defensively. Peraza takes over at 2B and becomes a better than average 2B. Johnson rebounds at 3B allowing him to be traded and either Ruiz or Peterson pan out there and provide 20-30 hr power while hitting .260 or better. Markakis doesn't decline too much. The Braves find a right handed thumper for LF going into 2017 as a FA. Moncada might be an answer if the Braves sign him but I just don't see that.

You have to believe that the Braves will try to position themselves to make a splash going into 2017 via the FA market (big time LF bat or ACE level pitcher) or through trade to build excitement.

CF Fowler
    2B Peraza
    LF Big time RH left field bat or Moncada
    1B Freeman
    3B Peterson/Ruiz
    RF Markakis
    SS Simmons
    C Bethancourt

SP: Teheran, Wood, Miller, Foltynewicz, FA SP
    RP: Kimbrel, Simmons, Vizcaino, Banuelos, Hursh, Sanchez (probably will have a couple of signings for LH and RH reliever in the pen)

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    I think we end up trading our stockpile (or some of it) for young hitting talent in the next year then hope they all pan out.

I've been rather harsh on the moves, and low on the team. If we struggle, Kimbrel and maybe even Freeman should be traded for a great bounty. 2017 doesn't have to be THE year after all. If 2018 or 19 are it, I'll take it.

We've been spoiled so long, that something in the laws of life was out to get us.

Division titles (always a chance to play in postseason)
    Hall of Famer's like John, Tommy, Greg, Cox, and soon Chipper.....
    TBS, Skip, Pete, Ernie, they made every game worth listening to.

I was feeling bitter about all this until I found a photo album of my grandfather. There were some photos of us going to games in the 80's. Dale Murphy was the only reason to show up. But, we still had a great time together win or lose. Most of the games I attended were when we owned the cellar, but I don't have one bad memory of that time.

Let's take a step back. Next few years could be bumpy, but life goes on. I'm gonna do my best to enjoy it, win or lose. Call me out if I forget! :D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    What would be the point in trading Freeman, moss? He's clearly part of the long-term plan.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    This is how I see it:

Braves go after Dexter Fowler as FA next year for CF. Bethancourt becomes league average behind the plate with the bat and becomes what everyone thinks he can be defensively. Peraza takes over at 2B and becomes a better than average 2B. Johnson rebounds at 3B allowing him to be traded and either Ruiz or Peterson pan out there and provide 20-30 hr power while hitting .260 or better. Markakis doesn't decline too much. The Braves find a right handed thumper for LF going into 2017 as a FA. Moncada might be an answer if the Braves sign him but I just don't see that.

You have to believe that the Braves will try to position themselves to make a splash going into 2017 via the FA market (big time LF bat or ACE level pitcher) or through trade to build excitement.

CF Fowler
    2B Peraza
    LF Big time RH left field bat or Moncada
    1B Freeman
    3B Peterson/Ruiz
    RF Markakis
    SS Simmons
    C Bethancourt

SP: Teheran, Wood, Miller, Foltynewicz, FA SP
    RP: Kimbrel, Simmons, Vizcaino, Banuelos, Hursh, Sanchez (probably will have a couple of signings for LH and RH reliever in the pen)
    We've stock-piled a TON of SP, i dont see us signing any big name SP.

If we do, it will be a big-name hitter in 2017.

Fowler makes sense though.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    What would be the point in trading Freeman, moss? He's clearly part of the long-term plan.
    Nobody is safe at this point. If some desperate team dangles something of value to the Braves in the summer after we are well below .500, we at least have to think about moving Freddie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Man this thread is premature. See this offseason as to how things can change in a heartbeat.

Anyone that thinks this team or the minors will look anything like they do now come 2017 is on something.
    Ivermectin Man

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (01-20-2015), Knucksie (01-20-2015)

Playing the Waiting Game BremanFan88's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Man this thread is premature. See this offseason as to how things can change in a heartbeat.

Anyone that thinks this team or the minors will look anything like they do now come 2017 is on something.
    Yeah, it could be worse by then
    All you need is Hart and Cox.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe