Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Fangraphs has us at 40%. lol I love how different these projects all are! I think our biggest asset in making a run for the division crown is our record against NL East opponents. 29-15 is REALLY good.
    i'd love to see FG reasoning for having philly above us. because the advanced stats don't really support it IIRC. their starting pitching is strong, but offense isn't good and defense is really bad. FG is also still giving the nats a lot of credit that i'm not sure they deserve.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i'd love to see FG reasoning for having philly above us. because the advanced stats don't really support it IIRC. their starting pitching is strong, but offense isn't good and defense is really bad. FG is also still giving the nats a lot of credit that i'm not sure they deserve.
    Schedule. It's not HUGE, but they have an easier schedule than us. Also, I think FG bases a lot on SP.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Schedule. It's not HUGE, but they have an easier schedule than us. Also, I think FG bases a lot on SP.
    Pretty sure FiveThirtyEight accounts more for current performance than Fangraphs. Fangraphs likely bases their rest of year projections on the individual rest of year projections via ZIPS. The Braves obviously projected poorly in this area to start so they are still playing catch up so to speak. FiveThirtyEight is a better model imo.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Super (07-24-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Pretty sure FiveThirtyEight accounts more for current performance than Fangraphs. Fangraphs likely bases their rest of year projections on the individual rest of year projections via ZIPS. The Braves obviously projected poorly in this area to start so they are still playing catch up so to speak. FiveThirtyEight is a better model imo.
    yup, i figured maybe FG has pre-season projections factored a lot still.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure FG is glacially slow in giving players credit for improvements in their RoS projections. For young teams like the Braves, players can improve rather quickly (as opposed to teams full of 30 year olds).

That's why I took the over on their 84 win projection at the AS break.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    It's also very hard to project the Braves because of so many breakout years by young core players - Acuna, Albies, Camargo, Folty, Newcomb. There aren't 3 year performance bases for these guys.