Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Braves extend Acuña with 8 year deal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Carter Stewart says this has a high probability.
    He should also likely have taken the Braves offer... irony
    Ivermectin Man

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-02-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    He should also likely have taken the Braves offer... irony
    Guys who turn down 1st round money to try their luck in a later draft usually end up regretting it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

buck75 (04-02-2019), jpx7 (04-02-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Still in awe how this is for real. The cost certainty on a potential superstar at this rate changes everything. If Liberty diverts some of this record revenue after the debt is serviced to mlb mandated levels then we could have a powerhouse.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-03-2019), UNCBlue012 (04-03-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    What a steal.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Guys who turn down 1st round money to try their luck in a later draft usually end up regretting it.
    Absolutely. I also probably take the 100 mil. That is “Set you up for life” money. He could be worth so much more, but he could also have a freak injury next week and never be the same player again. Someone gives you 100 mil...you take it. Who wins the lottery and doesn’t take the buy out to get all of their money up front (at a 40% loss)...not many.

For every guy that went out and “proved it”....there are twenty that do not.

Think it’s that easy? I think we all would have been very happy if Heyward signed a deal like that. Even “ No brainer” deals can turn sour.

This is a good compromise and “should” be great for the Braves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    What a steal.
    I hope Acuna doesn't come to feel stole. Over time he's gonna get tired of people telling him he made a bad deal.
    Last edited by Runnin; 04-03-2019 at 01:07 PM.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (04-03-2019)

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Listen to what AA said at the 12:40 mark. Very interesting and this may be a bit of foreshadowing.

"...it's rare you get to combine great talent with great character. And when those opportunities do present themselves, we're going to step up as an organization and do a lot of contracts like that."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tululush For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (04-03-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    the two things I don't really understand:

1) Why he didn't get a signing bonus.
    2) Why he gave away the second two free agent years.

In a market where the Eloy deal had already happened, I'm not sure why you do either of those things.

In some ways, you can look at 100 million and say that's more money than anyone would ever need and the rest is just keeping score.

you could say the same thing about 43 million, which is what someone who'd never played in the Majors, or been rookie of the year, was able to get guaranteed.

Just puzzling really. And I tend to be more risk average than most for "no brainer deals" and this one seems like a real no brainer. I don't see how you could criticize the Braves even after the fact for this one no matter how it turns out.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    I hope Acuna doen't come to feel stole. Over time he's gonna get tired of people telling him he made a bad deal.
    He needs to move all of his family out of Venezuela. Too many kidnaps for ransoms there.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    Listen to what AA said at the 12:40 mark. Very interesting and this may be a bit of foreshadowing.

"...it's rare you get to combine great talent with great character. And when those opportunities do present themselves, we're going to step up as an organization and do a lot of contracts like that."

Neckstention coming soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    The explanation that makes sense to me on this deal is that this was the deal the Braves were willing to offer. So if this was the best deal Acuna could get at this point, he had to decide between taking it and risking going forward without it. He took the deal.

While the Braves could have offered a lot more and have the deal still make sense for them, AA has had a fanatical devotion to value in his time here. It wouldn't surprise me if this was the only way he'd do the deal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    The explanation that makes sense to me on this deal is that this was the deal the Braves were willing to offer. So if this was the best deal Acuna could get at this point, he had to decide between taking it and risking going forward without it. He took the deal.

While the Braves could have offered a lot more and have the deal still make sense for them, AA has had a fanatical devotion to value in his time here. It wouldn't surprise me if this was the only way he'd do the deal.
    Disagree.

The logical extension deal would have been the 8/90 portion that makes complete sense compared to every other extension we've seen lately, everything we know about projecting arbitration salaries, and every precedent for buying out early FA years we've seen the last 2-3 years.

That would have been life changing money for Acuna, it would have blown Eloy's deal out of the water, it would have allowed him to reach FA well before 30 for a mega contract, and it would have represented good value for the Braves.

The $17M options with $10M buyouts are completely out of place. Options don't usually (never?) have such high buyouts.

Those options at the end scream of a scenario where someone wanted to push the deal past the magical $100M mark, and that's the only way the Braves would agree to do it. It certainly appears as if Acuna gave up $25M-$30 in those 2 seasons, plus the ability to secure a $400M contract in the future, just to tack an additional $10M onto this current contract and hit the $100M guaranteed mark.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Acuna seems like he’d be the most fun baseball teammate ever.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (04-03-2019)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Kiley was talking about Acuna in his chat and just said this about his agent: "there's some rumors out there about the agent that did the deal, which you can google and kinda figure out what I'm talking about." Reading some of what Kiley said later, he's basically suggesting that the agent wasn't going to talk Acuna out of a deal like this.

Can anyone find anything? I've tried googling and haven't been able to find what he's referring to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Disagree.

The logical extension deal would have been the 8/90 portion that makes complete sense compared to every other extension we've seen lately, everything we know about projecting arbitration salaries, and every precedent for buying out early FA years we've seen the last 2-3 years.

That would have been life changing money for Acuna, it would have blown Eloy's deal out of the water, it would have allowed him to reach FA well before 30 for a mega contract, and it would have represented good value for the Braves.

The $17M options with $10M buyouts are completely out of place. Options don't usually (never?) have such high buyouts.

Those options at the end scream of a scenario where someone wanted to push the deal past the magical $100M mark, and that's the only way the Braves would agree to do it. It certainly appears as if Acuna gave up $25M-$30 in those 2 seasons, plus the ability to secure a $400M contract in the future, just to tack an additional $10M onto this current contract and hit the $100M guaranteed mark.
    You could have gotten to $100 million with one option year and a $10 million buyout. There was no reason for there to be two.

I agree that 8/90 makes sense for both sides. It's pretty much the market rate right now. However, I'm not sure AA would have done a market rate deal. He's been reluctant to pay market rate as the GM in Atlanta. It makes sense to me that AA wanted to squeeze more out of this deal. Acuna was happy to sign as he's now set for life.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    From Kiley:

12:21 on top of that, I didn't mention that the Braves had uniquely beneficial situation where they had a cornerstone guy who hasn't gotten paid yet ($100k initial bonus, $500k salaries for the next few years) and there's some rumors out there about the agent that did the deal, which you can google and kinda figure out what I'm talking about.
    12:22 So the Braves had a guy they really wanted to lock up, who really wanted a payday pretty soon and an agent that wasn't going to dissuade Acuna from that. Those are the conditions to get a bargain.

The part about Salazar seemed a bit worrisome, and I hope Acuna wasn't taken advantage of in any way.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (04-03-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Kiley was talking about Acuna in his chat and just said this about his agent: "there's some rumors out there about the agent that did the deal, which you can google and kinda figure out what I'm talking about." Reading some of what Kiley said later, he's basically suggesting that the agent wasn't going to talk Acuna out of a deal like this.

Can anyone find anything? I've tried googling and haven't been able to find what he's referring to.
    yeah, idk what he means when he says "you can google it" because i tried and can't find anything.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post

we all need to be toasting Alex Salazar...I'd buy an Alex Salazar jersey if there was one
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    yeah, idk what he means when he says "you can google it" because i tried and can't find anything.
    I also spent a few minutes looking and couldn't find anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Try Gatemore Sports

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300790437.html

doesn't sound like a fly by night operation, but maybe Salazar was a bit too eager to get the deal done...sometimes it is the agent sometimes it is the client...hard to say...I wonder if Acuna's veteran teammates ever had "the talk" with him
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-03-2019 at 12:17 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."