Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    What the heck is a virtual massage? I agree that the fees on this board are breaking my budget.
    Look I was told chef was the man of massages here. I just want to get mine before he is not the man.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Personally, I think Anderson ends up as a number 3 starter with a few years of number 2 starter production mixed in.
    this would be an extremely good pitcher.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Listening to Craig Mish's podcast this morning. He said he knew that people are saying his reports are false but that all people have to do is look at his track record reporting on the Marlins. And he's right about that, it's really good. He also talked about the semantics part of this, that teams can talk players and make trade offers without it being an "official trade offer" to a team but that "the Braves appear to be all in on this."

He said the Marlins really like Ian Anderson, which scares me. I think Anderson and Touki are the only two I wouldn't include in a Realmuto trade.

The Marlins want "a team's best pitching prospect" in the deal. He said that complicates things with Houston because they're very unlikely to part with Forrest Whitley. Also said the Rockies are not being talked enough as a potential destination for Realmuto.
    The dude could be right, especially if the Braves are not going to sign guys with a QO attached. I just hope Realmuto can improve his framing if he comes to the Braves. I have seen no research that makes me think he can or can't get better, but I have to imagine he can improve upon being terrible. Realmuto with average or better pitch framing is a truly elite player.

I have to assume that after a year of collecting data on these young pitchers the new FO knows who is good based on the analytics. They have real statcast data on these guys now, and may be able to determine Anderson isn't as good as some view him. Or maybe they know Anderson is a beast and won't give him up for Realmuto.

One thing is clear though...the Marlins are very stupid, and AA should make his best effort to take advantage of that fact if possible.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-09-2018 at 12:12 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (11-09-2018), JohnAdcox (11-09-2018), Tapate50 (11-09-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The more I look at the Mariners/Rays deal, the more I like it - for both sides. Good fits for both, and proves that if you're not trying so hard to "win" trades or completely maximize value that you can still do this without having to tear things all the way down to the studs if you're able to find someone else to deal with that's not simply looking to screw you at all costs. Dipoto is still really good at his job.

That's 10 trades between those two teams since 2015 - pretty *amn impressive in my book.

Still think those who think the Mariners can't get substantially better without blowing things up completely are wrong. If they don't move their biggest pieces (Paxton, Haniger, Segura, Diaz), they just got markedly better yesterday, and saved enough money that they could step out and sign Zook to replace Zunino. Still leaves them with some money to upgrade their staff. They could easily go out and do that while saving money if they moved Paxton for MLB-ready rotation pieces as well. If they're looking to add pieces to step in NOW (rather than higher-rated pieces that are further away), a Paxton for Newcomb/Wilson or Fried swap suddenly fills their rotation and saves more money. It would leave them without an Ace (unless Newk takes a Folty-like step forward), but a Newk, Leake, Gonzales, Wilson grouping is probably better than what they currently have, and they'd probably have enough money left to go after somebody like Anibal to round out their rotation.

They're still not likely going to challenge Houston, but the Astros are currently down Keuchel, Morton, McCullers, Gonzalez, Mac, and Gattis and the Winter Meetings aren't even here yet.
    I think the Mariners are in that uncomfortable zone where with no changes they will remain competitive, but not a top-tier team. They were in the Wild Card hunt until the A's went on their tear, so it's not like things are terrible in the Emerald City. A couple of wise moves and they could up their game a notch. Will it be enough? That's why they play 162 games.

I sure hope Mallex Smith doesn't turn into one of these guys who will spend a decent career bouncing around middling teams.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-09-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Look I was told chef was the man of massages here. I just want to get mine before he is not the man.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think the Mariners are in that uncomfortable zone where with no changes they will remain competitive, but not a top-tier team. They were in the Wild Card hunt until the A's went on their tear, so it's not like things are terrible in the Emerald City. A couple of wise moves and they could up their game a notch. Will it be enough? That's why they play 162 games.

I sure hope Mallex Smith doesn't turn into one of these guys who will spend a decent career bouncing around middling teams.
    I think the problem is that they're getting absolutely nothing for moving the pieces like Cano and Seager that they'd love to get rid of. Given how long they're stuck with them in the way, you almost HAVE TO try and win with them. After yesterday's trade they're probably looking at...

CF- Mallex, SS- Segura, RF- Haniger, DH/1B- Cano, 3B- Seager, 1B/DH - Healy, LF- Gamel/???, C- ???, 2B- Gordon

Say you add a Lucroy/Zook/Mac/Maldonado/Mathis level guy behind the plate and bring Maybin back as your 4th OF/platoon mate for Gamel, you've still got all the money you saved when Cruz, Phelps, Duke, and Warren came off the books to spend on rotation adds even if you don't trade Paxton.

They're definitely still in that no-man's-land of not being a true contender but not so awful that they couldn't back their way in if a few surprising things happened. Just have to think that they realize they're pretty well stuck with Cano, Segura, Seager, and Gordon for as long as they control Paxton, Haniger, Diaz, and Mallex so they might as well see if they can't try to improve around the edges and see what happens.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (11-09-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    I've been told by a baseball genius the M's could get Albies for Dee Gordon. Maybe they should do that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Cubs are apparently willing to listen on Kris Bryant...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I just read the article on ESPN and it's pretty interesting. Mentions clubhouse issues with the Cubs clubhouse, little payroll flexibility and the recently hired hitting coach saying players were unwilling to listen and adapt.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Interesting. Can't imagine the type of package they'd have to get to actually move him. I highly doubt we'd be involved.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Still an elite closer and still has elite velocity. I do understand the reasoning of not investing a lot of dollars into a reliever, but I also think that Kimbrel is exception to the rule just like Chapman or Rivera.
    Not on board with spending big money on relievers, even this one, but it turned out he was tipping his pitches. Angle of forearm and positioning of his glove were giving it away. He fixed it for the WS. Guy that notified Alex Cora was Eric Gagné, who knows a thing or two about gaining an edge.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Listening to Craig Mish's podcast this morning. He said he knew that people are saying his reports are false but that all people have to do is look at his track record reporting on the Marlins. And he's right about that, it's really good. He also talked about the semantics part of this, that teams can talk players and make trade offers without it being an "official trade offer" to a team but that "the Braves appear to be all in on this."

He said the Marlins really like Ian Anderson, which scares me. I think Anderson and Touki are the only two I wouldn't include in a Realmuto trade.

The Marlins want "a team's best pitching prospect" in the deal. He said that complicates things with Houston because they're very unlikely to part with Forrest Whitley. Also said the Rockies are not being talked enough as a potential destination for Realmuto.
    Unless the Rockies are putting Rodgers in a package, not sure how they land him unless Miami doesnt wanna move him within the division.

Anderson and Riley would hurt, would prefer like Wright, Wentz, and Riley as a package and to keep Anderson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    So if we traded for Realmuto, how long before he falls off a cliff and becomes our new biggest failed FA\Trade candidate?

Does he reach Mike Hampton territory or BJ upton territory or do we stop this at Garrett Anderson and Raul Mondesi area?
    Ivermectin Man

Spring Training Invitee TheRunningAgent's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Evidently, the Cubs are open to trading Kris Bryant. You in? What would a deal look like? Riley and one/two of the pitchers?

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRunningAgent View Post
    Evidently, the Cubs are open to trading Kris Bryant. You in? What would a deal look like? Riley and one/two of the pitchers?
    Way, way more lol.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Bryant will make about $50M over his 3 remaining seasons of control, and should be projected to produce around 15+ wins over that time.

That's $100M or more in surplus value. If Pache is the Braves most valuable prospect, and is a FV 60 guy, he's worth about $60M.

So yeah, the package for Bryant would be massive.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts

My feelings on trading for Realmuto are known, but I'd easily sell Anderson as the centerpiece of the deal. I like Anderson quite a bit, but I like Soroka, Touki, and Wright a good deal better.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    My feelings on trading for Realmuto are known, but I'd easily sell Anderson as the centerpiece of the deal. I like Anderson quite a bit, but I like Soroka, Touki, and Wright a good deal better.
    I like Anderson the most on our top prospects.

Anderson > Touki > Soroka > Wright for me.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Bryant will make about $50M over his 3 remaining seasons of control, and should be projected to produce around 15+ wins over that time.

That's $100M or more in surplus value. If Pache is the Braves most valuable prospect, and is a FV 60 guy, he's worth about $60M.

So yeah, the package for Bryant would be massive.
    Pache, Riley, one of Soroka/Touki/Wright/Anderson, and a Muller/Wentz. Too much, too little?

I probably wouldnt trade for him since he'd walk in 3 years but just spitballing here lol.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Hypothetically, how much surplus value does Kris Bryant currently have? He's controlled for 3 more seasons and Steamer projects him for 5.7 wins next year. I think a fair number would be 16 WAR over the next 3 seasons. I'm always bad at estimating arbitration numbers, but looking at what he got last year I think... maybe 45-50 million over the next 3 years? So I think I would put his surplus value in that 110-120 million dollar range.

Someone correct me if I'm off by a little.