Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wow

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    He isnt wrong. I always thought thet should have forced a salary cap and let players that didnt accept it walk. Call up minor leaguers to replace them. Eventually all those peotesting players would be gone anyway. This would have crushed the union. Some vets retire and all the rest come back when they go broke or realize they lost.
    All salary caps insure is that bad ownership doing bad business still gets to be profitable. Salary caps doesn't really change the competitive nature of sports. Dynasties rise and fall but the same teams that are in good locations and are well run rise to the top of the leagues.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-09-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Defense would.

We've seen what happens when a league employs entire rosters of players not good enough to cut it in the major sports leagues. The XFL is a prime example. The product was garbage.

Having said that, I think baseball would likely be different. Defense would take a hit, since it requires great athleticism and instincts (albeit less so now with advanced positioning). But, batter vs. pitcher probably wouldn't produce a noticeable difference in terms of results, due to it being less about athleticism and more about skill vs skill. If pitchers with low velocity and below-average stuff pitched to below average hitters, the numbers would probably end up being the same.

I'd rather not find out though.
    Agree totally. I've been out to a few St. Paul Saints' games over the years and defense and base-running is where the difference shows up. Lots of station-to-station on the base paths.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-09-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    And not having a salary cap ensures that incompetent teams with big markets get to be competitive despite being incompetent. I dont care who wins I just want it to be a team that earned it. I think half the posters here could win a world series with a 230 million dollar payroll.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Yeah, being competitive is what draws interest.
    If this were true, then why don't minor league teams draw well? Tickets are a fraction of the price and stadiums are typically closer with better parking.

If everyone retired tomorrow and teams promoted their minor league teams, interest would absolutely wane to historic lows.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    They were losers. That’s not the argument here.
    The Cubs have drawn well even in down years. Same for the Yanks, Red Sox, and Dodgers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    The Cubs have drawn well even in down years. Same for the Yanks, Red Sox, and Dodgers.
    You’re talking about classic fan bases. Those are about the only ones who do, besides maybe the Giants.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    If this were true, then why don't minor league teams draw well? Tickets are a fraction of the price and stadiums are typically closer with better parking.

If everyone retired tomorrow and teams promoted their minor league teams, interest would absolutely wane to historic lows.
    There’s nothing at stake in the minor leagues. Winning and losing is ultimately what drives the bottom line in team sports.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    There’s nothing at stake in the minor leagues. Winning and losing is ultimately what drives the bottom line in team sports.
    CFL, AFL, XFL???

There are a bunch of examples that prove fans are not interested in an inferior product.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    CFL, AFL, XFL???

There are a bunch of examples that prove fans are not interested in an inferior product.
    I'm on the fence on this debate, but I would say those aren't exactly comparable. This is because the NFL was still a thing when those leagues were out. Of course everyone was going to watch the NFL instead and be uninterested in those. If the NFL and all their players went away, tho, would more people have watched the XFL? Maybe.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I'm on the fence on this debate, but I would say those aren't exactly comparable. This is because the NFL was still a thing when those leagues were out. Of course everyone was going to watch the NFL instead and be uninterested in those. If the NFL and all their players went away, tho, would more people have watched the XFL? Maybe.
    Didn't those leagues schedule their seasons mostly during the NFL offseason though? I know the XFL did. It's not like they were competing for air time.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Had this happened 20 years ago mike hessman would be an all time great.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (11-09-2018), jpx7 (11-09-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    CFL, AFL, XFL???

I've already used the XFL example. The drop off in athleticism would be noticeable, therefore sports like football and basketball would probably suffer. I doubt it would be the same in baseball.

Still, fans care about winning first and foremost.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    I've already used the XFL example. The drop off in athleticism would be noticeable, therefore sports like football and basketball would probably suffer. I doubt it would be the same in baseball.

Still, fans care about winning first and foremost.
    This is because athleticism doesn't really show up in baseball like it does in the other sports. It's not as noticeable therefore fans won't really care. Besides this would open the door for those plus athletes that are current AAAA players. Remove all current MLBers and then those guys are going to be your all-stars with plus defense that can steal 30+ bases, etc.

But if you remove current MLB players and promote everyone else then largely the product won't change. You'll have your sub 3 era guys, your 900+ OPS guys and everything else that we currently see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    This is because athleticism doesn't really show up in baseball like it does in the other sports. It's not as noticeable therefore fans won't really care. Besides this would open the door for those plus athletes that are current AAAA players. Remove all current MLBers and then those guys are going to be your all-stars with plus defense that can steal 30+ bases, etc.

But if you remove current MLB players and promote everyone else then largely the product won't change. You'll have your sub 3 era guys, your 900+ OPS guys and everything else that we currently see.
    Which was exactly my point in my original post.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Which was exactly my point in my original post.
    I know. I agree 100%