Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Braves would lose their 2nd round pick if they signed a FA with a QO offer, yeah no.

And the ones wanting to go cheap at C, you get what you pay for.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Braves would lose their 2nd round pick if they signed a FA with a QO offer, yeah no.

Do you know approximately which pick that is, and the expected surplus value of that pick?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

I agree.

No sense in sacrificing bonus pool or picks when the Braves already have problems with talent intake for the foreseeable future and something of a talent gap in the bottom of the system already.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Do you know approximately which pick that is, and the expected surplus value of that pick?
    Yeah this is important to consider. Where is out 2nd round pick? I'd guess in the 55 range? Isn't that pick usually worth in the range of 5-10 million in surplus value? That doesn't seem like something I'd be too concerned with losing, considering that Realmuto will cost up north of 70 million in SV and I don't consider him to be THAT much more valuable than Grandal.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I agree.

No sense in sacrificing bonus pool or picks when the Braves already have problems with talent intake for the foreseeable future and something of a talent gap in the bottom of the system already.
    Well, it depends on how you want to look at it. To upgrade catcher we are going to have to sacrifice picks or prospects, unless we go with Ramos. Maybe that consideration makes you lean towards Ramos. But if you're dead set on Realmuto or dead set on Grandal, you're gonna lose some future value either way. In my estimation, you'd lose far less (in terms of farm system surplus value) in sacrificing a 2nd round draft pick than you would trading what it would take to get Realmuto. But if you're a person who wants to hold on to that value, then Ramos or a lesser acquisition becomes more desirable.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts

As opposed to giving up several better prospects that are closer to the majors for a catcher that's not really any better?
    Last edited by Carp; 11-15-2018 at 04:51 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Jaw (11-16-2018), jpx7 (11-15-2018), salmagundy (11-15-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Our 2nd is in the 50's, dont know which or the surplus value though.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    As opposed to giving up several better prospects that are closer to the majors for a catcher that's not really any better?
    I mean we're gonna have to trade for an outfielder or catcher, cant prospect hoard when you're contending. Not how it works. The teams that win ships, make big moves and make **** happen.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I mean we're gonna have to trade for an outfielder or catcher, cant prospect hoard when you're contending. Not how it works. The teams that win ships, make big moves and make **** happen.
    Right, but what he is saying is that you should have some cognitive dissonance about this. You're unwilling to lose a second round pick to acquire Grandal, but you're willing to give up 7-10x that pick's value in order to acquire Realmuto. A player who definitely isn't THAT much better than Grandal.

By the way, you could make the same argument you're making about draft picks. "Well, contending teams don't give a crap about QOs or draft picks if that is the only thing in their way of a big move. Who cares about a 2nd round pick if you're signing a big free agent?"

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

Jaw (11-16-2018), jpx7 (11-15-2018), salmagundy (11-15-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Yeah this is important to consider. Where is out 2nd round pick? I'd guess in the 55 range? Isn't that pick usually worth in the range of 5-10 million in surplus value? That doesn't seem like something I'd be too concerned with losing, considering that Realmuto will cost up north of 70 million in SV and I don't consider him to be THAT much more valuable than Grandal.
    Pick 55 right now, but it could move a bit by draft day depending on where QO FAs end up. Either way, that's typically a FV40/40+ prospect. According to this:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/putt...e-the-top-100/

those prospects carry a surplus value anywhere from $1M-$4M.

Being generous and giving that prospect a $5M value is real value, and will definitely be factored into the acquisition cost of Grandal. However, let's refrain from acting like losing the ~55th pick in the 2019 draft is some non-starter for the Braves signing a FA.

The question comes down to:

1. $60M-$80M in salary plus $5M in prospect capital for 4/5 years of Grandal
    2. $60M+ in prospect capital plus $20M in salary for 2 years of Realmuto

The choice seems pretty obvious to me if those numbers are at all accurate.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-15-2018 at 05:12 PM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Garmel (11-15-2018), jpx7 (11-15-2018), salmagundy (11-15-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Right, but what he is saying is that you should have some cognitive dissonance about this. You're unwilling to lose a second round pick to acquire Grandal, but you're willing to give up 7-10x that pick's value in order to acquire Realmuto. A player who definitely isn't THAT much better than Grandal.

By the way, you could make the same argument you're making about draft picks. "Well, contending teams don't give a crap about QOs or draft picks if that is the only thing in their way of a big move. Who cares about a 2nd round pick if you're signing a big free agent?"
    I wouldn't expect many folks around here to make logically consistent arguments haha.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts

I think both have risks, Braves need one of Ramos, Grandal or Realmuto as OD catcher. I trust AA in what he does and what direction that is.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    If we trade for Realmuto we have him for at least 2yrs. Grandal or Ramos for as long as we want and can wait until Contreras is ready. I'm for keeping our prospects but would like to sign Brantley,Pollack or McCutchen.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    How about Ender and Swanson for Schwarber and Happ. Move Ozzie to SS and sign Dozier or Marwin Gonzalez to 2B. Sign Grandal or Ramos for Catcher.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    That doesn't dispute anything I said. How is giving up 2nd rounder worse than giving up multiple top prospects when the players being discussed are near equal?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Seems to me that those arguing against 4-5 years of Grandal because Contreras will be ready in 2 years are holding a paper bag of water, IMO. The prospect value of the 2nd round pick(5 mil value) is not even a real consideration when signing Grandal. They are forgetting that Flowers could/should be gone in 2 years when Contreras is ready. The extra 2-3 years of Grandal to mentor Contreras is very valuable IMO.

As has been stated, giving up 60 mil in prospects value plus 20 mil salary for 2 years for Realmuto is not in the the best interests of keeping a competitive team for PS plus the Braves would be right back in the same place they are now in 2 years.

Sign Grandal for 4 years with 5th year option, use the prospect value to sign a TOR pitcher and or cOF.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to salmagundy For This Useful Post:

Jaw (11-16-2018)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    Seems to me that those arguing against 4-5 years of Grandal because Contreras will be ready in 2 years are holding a paper bag of water, IMO. The prospect value of the 2nd round pick(5 mil value) is not even a real consideration when signing Grandal. They are forgetting that Flowers could/should be gone in 2 years when Contreras is ready. The extra 2-3 years of Grandal to mentor Contreras is very valuable IMO.

As has been stated, giving up 60 mil in prospects value plus 20 mil salary for 2 years for Realmuto is not in the the best interests of keeping a competitive team for PS plus the Braves would be right back in the same place they are now in 2 years.

Sign Grandal for 4 years with 5th year option, use the prospect value to sign a TOR pitcher and or cOF.
    This makes too much sense....

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    So do the braves lose the second round pick or third round pick. CBA says third highest pick. But we now have 2 1st round pick. Is the one from last year exempt?

Assuming we sign a qualifying FA of course.
    Coppy

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    So do the braves lose the second round pick or third round pick. CBA says third highest pick. But we now have 2 1st round pick. Is the one from last year exempt?

Assuming we sign a qualifying FA of course.
    I don’t think that extra first rounder changes anything. It’s still our third pick, so late second round. Sucks.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    There's absolutely NO WAY I'd go there personally. I think way too many people are sleeping on the news that Luiz has dropped 35 pounds already. If there's one Pitcher in the stable of arms we've built that actually profiles as a homegrown Ace, Gohara is that guy.

Is it unlikely that he reaches his ceiling? Sure. But there's not another Pitcher in our system with a ceiling that high if things happen to somehow work out - including Wright and Anderson.

If they're trying to move Pederson to create space for Verdugo, offer them someone else (or a combination of lower ceiling arms) or make an offer for Verdugo. I like Pederson's pop as much as anyone, but I wouldn't give Gohara up for anyone I can't plug into the lineup regardless of who's on the mound.

If you're getting Verdugo instead, then I might talk about Gohara. An Acuna/Verdugo/Ender (eventually Pache) outfield would be an absolute dream for a LONG TIME.
    Gohara has already lost 35 lbs? If so, that's excellent news as he's one of our few guys with electric stuff AND some level of control.