Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Your Ideal Offseason

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I like the possible pick for Donaldson. Let’s go ahead and trade for Bumgarner and Ozuna.

We could have 3 shots at recouping a pick via a QO offer after a strong year.
    The more and more I look at Bums peripherals and trends they are not good. I'm not sure he's much better than Sonny Gray at this point... he's living on his past reputation. Only if he basically costs nothing which he won't

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    The more and more I look at Bums peripherals and trends they are not good. I'm not sure he's much better than Sonny Gray at this point... he's living on his past reputation. Only if he basically costs nothing which he won't
    I'd rather have Anibal than Bumgarner or Gray...when cost is considered the case for Anibal over those two gets even stronger

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (11-28-2018), JohnAdcox (11-28-2018), salmagundy (11-28-2018)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Only pitcher I’d like on the trade market is Bauer. Only two years control and more expensive financially than the other two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    We sign Josh Donaldson and bring McCann and Kimbrel back.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-28-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Braves used 30 pitchers last year. Literally, 30 pitchers. There is no reason to dump Freeman's $1.5M to make room for a young pitcher with options. AA has shown a strong desire to keep arms in the system, and I expect the same moving forward.

The Braves year end payroll was $133M last year, and should be higher this year. There is probably room for a $125M-$130M opening day payroll with room to bump it to $140M+ if they are contending at the deadline. I expect them to be in on every single big name trade candidate at the 2019 deadline.
    I understand having more options, but we could easily non-tender and re-sign Freeman for league minimum.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I understand having more options, but we could easily non-tender and re-sign Freeman for league minimum.
    Well, only if Freeman was willing to a accept league minimum salary. I’d be surprised if he didn’t get a bigger offer than league minimum. 1.5m for an average lefty out of the pen isn’t a bad deal for the Braves.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DontStopTheChop View Post
    Well, only if Freeman was willing to a accept league minimum salary. I’d be surprised if he didn’t get a bigger offer than league minimum. 1.5m for an average lefty out of the pen isn’t a bad deal for the Braves.
    Unless you happen to have other "league-average lefties" out of the pen who'll cost $950,000 less.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Again, the Braves used 30 pitchers last year. AA has shown time and time again he will do whatever he can to keep pitchers in the system, and he will rotate through them excessively.

I see no reason not to pay Sam Freeman $1.5M, and I seriously doubt he signs at league minimum as a FA.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Unless you happen to have other "league-average lefties" out of the pen who'll cost $950,000 less.
    So...you still think the Braves should extend Freeman to provide more flexibility?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Again, the Braves used 30 pitchers last year. AA has shown time and time again he will do whatever he can to keep pitchers in the system, and he will rotate through them excessively.

I see no reason not to pay Sam Freeman $1.5M, and I seriously doubt he signs at league minimum as a FA.
    I have doubts whether he'd get a guaranteed major league contract. Certainly not more than 1 million.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I have doubts whether he'd get a guaranteed major league contract. Certainly not more than 1 million.
    I guess we will know in a couple days. Certainly the Braves FO knows Freeman's value around the league, and will not offer him arbitration if they don't feel he is worth $1M+.

Sounds like a fun topic to make a few wagers about...

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Fair point. But, what's the harm in adding one more? To save 900k? And do what with that 900k?

The 1.5 million Freeman projects to earn isn't going to prevent us from signing another player. The more pitchers we have, the better. Signing freeman doesn't mean that our other young pitchers will rot in AAA and won't be pitching meaningful innings for the big league club.

Not really sure why you put quotes around "league-average lefties" though.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Regarding Freeman, if we have Minter, Venters and Biddle as LHP out of the pen, is Freeman really neccesary?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DontStopTheChop View Post
    Fair point. But, what's the harm in adding one more? To save 900k? And do what with that 900k?

The 1.5 million Freeman projects to earn isn't going to prevent us from signing another player. The more pitchers we have, the better. Signing freeman doesn't mean that our other young pitchers will rot in AAA and won't be pitching meaningful innings for the big league club.

Not really sure why you put quotes around "league-average lefties" though.
    i also want to know which lefties we know are league-average and are $550,000
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i also want to know which lefties we know are league-average and are $550,000
    Biddle and Fried are $550,000. Plus Gohara if you happen to use him out of the pen.

Let the numbers-hounds debate who's league-average. Regardless of who that turns out to be, all three of those guys are better than Freeman - historically and projections-wise. If it's all about maximizing everything and not wasting money anywhere, *issing away an extra million dollars on the very last RP in your pen seems pretty stupid. Will that extra $1 million be the difference in being able to sign Brantley or McCutchen? Maybe, maybe not. But if it is, the dropoff to the next tier of available free-agent OFs is awfully big - it'd sure suck if not having that extra money around caused you to have to bring Markakis back or settle for Adam Jones or Denard Span if everybody wants you to overpay in trades.

The Braves will always need to pinch pennies - even when they have huge amounts of financial flexibility like they did this winter - especially when they roll the dice on someone like AA did on Donaldson.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Biddle and Fried are $550,000. Plus Gohara if you happen to use him out of the pen.

Let the numbers-hounds debate who's league-average. Regardless of who that turns out to be, all three of those guys are better than Freeman - historically and projections-wise. If it's all about maximizing everything and not wasting money anywhere, *issing away an extra million dollars on the very last RP in your pen seems pretty stupid. Will that extra $1 million be the difference in being able to sign Brantley or McCutchen? Maybe, maybe not. But if it is, the dropoff to the next tier of available free-agent OFs is awfully big - it'd sure suck if not having that extra money around caused you to have to bring Markakis back or settle for Adam Jones or Denard Span if everybody wants you to overpay in trades.

The Braves will always need to pinch pennies - even when they have huge amounts of financial flexibility like they did this winter - especially when they roll the dice on someone like AA did on Donaldson.
    we'll keep biddle. fried and gohara should be given far more opportunity to start. why would we shift either one of them to RP? they have nice upside as starters (especially gohara).

we also do not know that fried and gohara would be league-average out of the pen. so you offered one guy (biddle) that matched the criteria asked for...
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    we'll keep biddle. fried and gohara should be given far more opportunity to start. why would we shift either one of them to RP? they have nice upside as starters (especially gohara).

we also do not know that fried and gohara would be league-average out of the pen. so you offered one guy (biddle) that matched the criteria asked for...
    This is why the Braves could have the worlds toolsiest AAA rotation in 2019.

Not a zing or anything just a truth.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

We do "know" that Gohara and Fried will both be better than Freeman based on both past history and projections.

Let's all be honest here - none of us "KNOW" *hit - that's why they play the games. However, if all the signs point to Biddle being better for sure, you're still talking about paying the third lefty (and one with a reverse-split problem on top of that) out of the pen an extra million bucks when you could use it elsewhere.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    While 1.5 mil isnt that much, for a team like the Braves, every penny counts.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-28-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts

Without factoring in guys like Fried, Gohara, Touki, etc. (who, if still here, will absolutely see time out of the pen this season), Freeman is no better than the 7th best relief option currently on our team (I'd put him 8th). I want to go to war with the best possible 25 man roster. Since, we are likely to acquire a late inning reliever soon, that makes him the odd man out. And he's out of options, so stashing him in Gwinnett is not an option.
    Last edited by Carp; 11-28-2018 at 06:34 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-28-2018)