Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    I never cared for Miller, mainly because of how he liked to show off his knowledge of how to pronounce the Latin American players' names (he was wrong quite often on them). He sounded much more like a hype man/ ring announcer for a boxing match than a baseball PBP guy in those cases.
    Strange.

He always made an effort to meet the latin players on the field and ask them how their names were pronounced in their home country.

For example, people were giving him a lot of flack for pronouncing Betemit as "Bet-uh-me". The Braves guys had been saying "Betta-mitt" the entire season. He told the story that he met Wilson before the game and asked him how to pronounce it. Wilson said Betta-mitt was fine because everyone else in the US kept saying it so he just gave up on correcting them. But Miller was insistent on respecting the way their names were supposed to be pronounced as if the were back home in Latin America.

Miller was perfect for a Sunday Night game. Because after a long week, it was perfect to just wind down your Sunday and relax and listen to him call a game just like Al Michaels for NFL. Even when the Braves weren't on Sundays, I would watch Sunday Night just to fall asleep listening to Miller call a game because his voice was very smooth and relaxing.
    Forever Fredi

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-24-2019), Runnin (05-26-2019)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    Strange.

He always made an effort to meet the latin players on the field and ask them how their names were pronounced in their home country.

For example, people were giving him a lot of flack for pronouncing Betemit as "Bet-uh-me". The Braves guys had been saying "Betta-mitt" the entire season. He told the story that he met Wilson before the game and asked him how to pronounce it. Wilson said Betta-mitt was fine because everyone else in the US kept saying it so he just gave up on correcting them. But Miller was insistent on respecting the way their names were supposed to be pronounced as if the were back home in Latin America.

Miller was perfect for a Sunday Night game. Because after a long week, it was perfect to just wind down your Sunday and relax and listen to him call a game just like Al Michaels for NFL. Even when the Braves weren't on Sundays, I would watch Sunday Night just to fall asleep listening to Miller call a game because his voice was very smooth and relaxing.
    It wasn't the pronunciations, which other than Furcal I think he got better than anyone in his day. It was the hyperbolic manner in which he used them.