Page 29 of 59 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Postseason Thread

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Whether he was right or wrong, it's open for discussion. But saying "let them rest for the next 6 months" really doesn't fly if you need them for a big moment during this series and they are fatigued/ineffective because of heavy recent workload. It might not be an issue for game 2 or 3, but keep leaning on them when they aren't needed and it can make a manager look really dumb if games 4-7 are all close games in the later innings.
    condensed series with travel days off.. your guys will rest. and Miller at 80% is still better than most relievers. Ask Frediot about making sure guys are available for game 7 that might not happen..

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Whether he was right or wrong, it's open for discussion. But saying "let them rest for the next 6 months" really doesn't fly if you need them for a big moment during this series and they are fatigued/ineffective because of heavy recent workload. It might not be an issue for game 2 or 3, but keep leaning on them when they aren't needed and it can make a manager look really dumb if games 4-7 are all close games in the later innings. But my main reason for replying was because of your let them rest for 6 months comment.
    Of course there is a possibility they are fatigued due to use in a short series. All the other nonsense brought up by that guy is typical confirmation bias type stuff.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,363 Posts
    Dusty Baker likes to manage by the book too..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    condensed series with travel days off.. your guys will rest. and Miller at 80% is still better than most relievers. Ask Frediot about making sure guys are available for game 7 that might not happen..
    All managers try to walk the line of keeping pitchers sharp, but fresh. I'm just pointing out that even in a 7 game series, you can't say "they can rest for 6 months" and leave it at that. I don't think that's even debatable.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    There is evidence to support the idea that a pitcher's breaking ball does not move as much with multiple days of rest as it does on back-to-back days or even with just one day of rest.

I think Francona is much better than Maddon. Maddon overmanages, he just does so in weird ways and has an interesting personality, so people think he's a genius. I do think he's good in the clubhouse, though. But Francona, IMO, is the best clubhouse manager in baseball and also is pretty advanced in the way he makes decisions.
    They are both decent managers. Maddon is currently the flavor of the era probably for aesthetic reasons as much as anything else. Certainly isn't the button-downed model that most managers adhere to. I agree that Maddon simply makes moves for the sake of making moves and that makes him look "smart" in many people's eyes.

Where I think the Cubs have goofed is in roster construction. Schwarber better hit the p*ss out of the ball, because I doubt he'll be playing in the field when the Series moves to Wrigley, leaving the Cubs somewhat limited in what they can do late in games.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,363 Posts
    All managers try to walk the line of keeping pitchers sharp, but fresh. I'm just pointing out that even in a 7 game series, you can't say "they can rest for 6 months" and leave it at that. I don't think that's even debatable.
    I can agree in a championship series.. but the WS.. I think you give the ball to your best players and let them decide it. Now you can't just pitch your ace every night, so there is some limitations to that saying.. but the tribe came in a very rested team. I don't think 7 games in 10 days is one were you start to worry about 'saving' your guys. I just don't think you can manage a playoff game like the regular season. We watched Bobby Cox do that and he guided a team with 4 and maybe 5 hall of famers to ONE title.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Of course there is a possibility they are fatigued due to use in a short series. All the other nonsense brought up by that guy is typical confirmation bias type stuff.
    Again, there is evidence to support the fact that on average, a pitcher's breaking ball will not be as sharp (read: will not move as much) on multiple days rest as it will on back-to-back nights or even with 1 day of rest.

As for Francona, there is a reason (beyond simply having good teams and luck) that he has been able to find success in the postseason. Part of that is because he is willing to play for today and let tomorrow take care of itself.

It's easy to say, 'there's no reason to use your closer when up by 6 runs.' But he knows the importance of winning Game 1, he knows Allen hasn't been used much overall the last 3 weeks, and it's one inning. The Indians got the win, and as you yourself have said, they had to win that one. They did.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,363 Posts
    Again, there is evidence to support the fact that on average, a pitcher's breaking ball will not be as sharp (read: will not move as much) on multiple days rest as it will on back-to-back nights or even with 1 day of rest.

As for Francona, there is a reason (beyond simply having good teams and luck) that he has been able to find success in the postseason. Part of that is because he is willing to play for today and let tomorrow take care of itself.

It's easy to say, 'there's no reason to use your closer when up by 6 runs.' But he knows the importance of winning Game 1, he knows Allen hasn't been used much overall the last 3 weeks, and it's one inning. The Indians got the win, and as you yourself have said, they had to win that one. They did.

Francona is definitely clutch in the playoffs!!

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts

And if he's not as sharp tonight, people can speculate maybe last night affected him. Or maybe batters got a good look at him recently.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Are folks seriously arguing that using Allen for 1 inning last night after he had several days off (and another off day tomorrow) will somehow limit his effectiveness for tonight? As if a closer hasn't pitched 1 inning in back to back games dozens of times each season?

Francona has managed his BP this postseason about as optimally as a manager can do so. His BP usage is a major reason the Indians are in their current position despite being underdogs every step of the way, and without 2 of their best SPs.

If the Braves were in the WS with Kimbrel in the BP, I want him pitching the 9th whether the Braves were up by 1 or 10.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Game 1 was the game the Indians had their best odds of winning. They wanted to nail down this game, as they should have.

Francona has put on a showcase about how to manage a BP in the postseason. Use your stud when you're winning rather than "save him" for games you might not ever be winning.

There's a 50/50 chance the Indians will be leading late tonight. There was a 100% chance they were leading last night. Francona made the correct moves with zero questions about it.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Are folks seriously arguing that using Allen for 1 inning last night after he had several days off (and another off day tomorrow) will somehow limit his effectiveness for tonight? As if a closer hasn't pitched 1 inning in back to back games dozens of times each season?

Francona has managed his BP this postseason about as optimally as a manager can do so. His BP usage is a major reason the Indians are in their current position despite being underdogs every step of the way, and without 2 of their best SPs.

If the Braves were in the WS with Kimbrel in the BP, I want him pitching the 9th whether the Braves were up by 1 or 10.
    Not me. I want him on ice until we go up a run.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    And if he's not as sharp tonight, people can speculate maybe last night affected him. Or maybe batters got a good look at him recently.
    Sure, people can speculate anything. I think it was the right move no matter what happens tonight.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Heyward is not in the starting line-up tonight, which begs the question "Why is he even on the post-season roster if he's not going to face RHPs?" Heyward has had a tough year and maybe he rebounds and gets in the neighborhood of the performance level he had earlier in his career, but right now, he's the highest-paid defensive sub in the game. I suppose part of it is the Cubs have to justify their investment, but this has gotten nuts (unless he has a minor injury).

As per Cleveland's pen use, they probably should have invested in a LOOGY in addition to the acquisition of Miller. They have some decent options beyond Miller and Allen, but a LOOGY to use in an isolated situation would have been a good addition to the mix. Francona has a two-head monster out there, but it's always nice to have a couple of guys who could get you through the 7th and save on the wear and tear of the two big guns.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 10-26-2016 at 03:53 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Heyward is not in the starting line-up tonight, which begs the question "Why is he even on the post-season roster if he's not going to face RHPs?" Heyward has had a tough year and maybe he rebounds and gets in the neighborhood of the performance level he had earlier in his career, but right now, he's the highest-paid defensive sub in the game. I suppose part of it is the Cubs have to justify their investment, but this has gotten nuts (unless he has a minor injury).

As per Cleveland's pen use, they probably should have invested in a LOOGY in addition to the acquisition of Miller. They have some decent options beyond Miller and Allen, but a LOOGY to use in an isolated situation would have been a good addition to the mix. Francona has a two-head monster out there, but it's always nice to have a couple of guys who could get you through the 7th and save on the wear and tear of the two big guns.
    When making the postseason roster, you can't consider his salary. And at worst, he is still a phenomenal defensive replacement. The Cubs could, then, start Schwarber and let him have a couple ABs, then insert Heyward if they get a lead by the 6th or so.

He still has a place on a playoff roster.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (10-26-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,363 Posts
    Bauer looks terrible. Only pitch he has is the cutter which is coming back to righties. How are the cubs not
    Punishing him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Bauer looks terrible. Only pitch he has is the cutter which is coming back to righties. How are the cubs not
    Punishing him
    Don't worry about Bauer... he just knows how to get guys out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Are the Cubs expected to re-sign fowler?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Don't worry about Bauer... he just knows how to get guys out
    Lol. Not tonight. He can't locate tonight. The tribe can score 3 tonight. They can't let this get away.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    How the hell is Rizzo allowed by ML pitchers to stand on top of the plate like that? How has no one knocked him on his rear end?