Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe Simpson Catching Flack For Complaining About Organist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    At least Joe and Chip's voices aren't super annoying, imo. My biggest beef with them is that they pump sunshine incessantly and don't appear to really know wth they are talking about when it comes to interpreting stats and value. Joe "good top hand" Simpson is also a poor analyst when it comes to providing "pro" insight into being a big league hitter.
    I wonder how many 90 mph fastballs you've faced in the big leagues.

I agree that they aren't anywhere near as annoying as some but I often turn the sound down and watch the game with music. Sometimes I listen to Don on the radio while watching the game, but the timing of the feed is a little different.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post

I agree that they aren't anywhere near as annoying as some but I often turn the sound down and watch the game with music. Sometimes I listen to Don on the radio while watching the game, but the timing of the feed is a little different.
    I'd rather hear Sutton than Simpson, but he's not a noted advanced stat guru either. I think Skip was funnier and more colorful than Chip, but he was definitely a sarcastic jackass at times. His call in show was legendary in some parts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,521 Posts
    Joe lost all his charm once Skip left. Those two would literally make me laugh out loud during broadcasts. Chip just brings out the worst in Simpson: An insufferable homer with a "get off my lawn" attitude when it comes to newer ways of looking at the game, and Chip just loves to bait him into giving us the worst hitting analysis the baseball world has ever seen.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (06-29-2017), jpx7 (06-29-2017), rniki10 (06-30-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I hate the one who constantly says "He took a good cut there" when the pitcher swings and misses or fouls it off

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Ever listen to Mets announcers? They are the gold standard, IMO
    Yankees seem to have a good crew, too. And the White Six booth is quite solid when it's Steve Stone and anybody not named Hawk (who's been doing more radio lately).
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    So.....since I haven't played in the majors I can't understand that Joe's hitting analysis is horrible?? I love that rationale.

Coincidentally, I have taught hitting for the past 15 yrs and I've learned a thing or two about understanding a high level swing. That's why it makes me cringe to hear some ex big leaguers who have such a poor understanding of why they were successful (or not).

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Joe was good with Boog too.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VirginiaBrave For This Useful Post:

Hawk (06-29-2017), rniki10 (06-30-2017)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

I know it's been picked on ad nauseum but facing major league pitching doesn't always make one an expert. Even if one did so as poorly as Joe SImpson did.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Yankees seem to have a good crew, too. And the White Six booth is quite solid when it's Steve Stone and anybody not named Hawk (who's been doing more radio lately).
    By most accounts the best crew is the Giants. Honestly I've done so little research into the topic lately. I usually watch games on mute.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

12. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

VirginiaBrave (06-29-2017)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Joe was good with Boog too.
    Boog made me like Joe.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (06-29-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    The organist makes a BIG difference when you're actually at the ballpark. It doesn't translate that well over the tv. But Joe Simpson is a miserable curmudgeon who i honestly believe hates watching players who are better than he was. Which was, at last count, just about all of them. I refuse to listen to Chip and Joe now. Radio broadcast or GTFO.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to chopdrew For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-29-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chopdrew View Post
    The organist makes a BIG difference when you're actually at the ballpark. It doesn't translate that well over the tv. But Joe Simpson is a miserable curmudgeon who i honestly believe hates watching players who are better than he was. Which was, at last count, just about all of them. I refuse to listen to Chip and Joe now. Radio broadcast or GTFO.
    I'd listen to don Sutton and Jim Powell over chip and joe. They seem to have a great chemistry and don gives great insight.

It sucks for those that don't live in the network and don't get a chance to hear them
    Get off my lawn!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (06-29-2017)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I'd listen to don Sutton and Jim Powell over chip and joe. They seem to have a great chemistry and don gives great insight.

It sucks for those that don't live in the network and don't get a chance to hear them
    I really like Sutton for that reason. If he and Joe were paired, I think things would be a lot better.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    I really like Sutton for that reason. If he and Joe were paired, I think things would be a lot better.
    Agreed but Jim Powell is awesome. Much better than Joe.brings a little bob ueker with him from mileaukee
    Get off my lawn!

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chopdrew View Post
    Doesn't chamge my mind. Still agree with Joe. When I go to a game or race I am there for what goes on between the lines or on track not concerts or organists.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Joe lost all his charm once Skip left. Those two would literally make me laugh out loud during broadcasts. Chip just brings out the worst in Simpson: An insufferable homer with a "get off my lawn" attitude when it comes to newer ways of looking at the game, and Chip just loves to bait him into giving us the worst hitting analysis the baseball world has ever seen.
    You stole that line. I heard it two days ago and had a good laugh.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Joe Simpson, hitting coach:

1) Keep your hands inside the baseball.
    2) Hit the ball to the opposite field, always.
    3) ??????
    4) Profit.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-02-2017), Tapate50 (07-02-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    So.....since I haven't played in the majors I can't understand that Joe's hitting analysis is horrible?? I love that rationale.

Coincidentally, I have taught hitting for the past 15 yrs and I've learned a thing or two about understanding a high level swing. That's why it makes me cringe to hear some ex big leaguers who have such a poor understanding of why they were successful (or not).
    By your rationale teaching hitting for 15 years also doesn't make one know hitting any better than an ex-big leaguer. I've listened to good players and pros argue about the golf swing for most of my life. They are often just arguing about semantics. The semantics change and even the swing changes a little, but not much.

I know Joe is annoying from constantly harping on the same things, but he isn't just a guy who played some pro ball. He's also been watching it up close for a long, long time and probably talks hitting almost every day with professional coaches. That doesn't make him right about everything but it does give him a lot of credibility imo.

I think Chip is more the problem than Joe. A good pair needs more separation of personality. These two have been together too long aren't different enough. That said, if we were 10 games over .500 we wouldn't be having this discussion.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    I dunno...you might not be having this discussion, but the rest of the site really (moderately) dislikes Chip and Joe.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Managuarantano's Volunteers For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-02-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Doesn't chamge my mind. Still agree with Joe. When I go to a game or race I am there for what goes on between the lines or on track not concerts or organists.
    And you must be a pleasure to attend with, too...

29. The Following User Says Thank You to chopdrew For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-02-2017)