Page 61 of 141 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 2801

Thread: Official 2017 Trade Deadilne Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    While I make no judgment on whether it's the right or wrong decision here, I do see some things that make me think the front office will try to buy. It might be buying in a controlled manner where we're trying to get long term assets instead of rentals but I wouldn't be surprised if we keep Phillips, Garcia, and Dickey, add a couple pieces, and try to make a run at it. Here's why.

1- The draw of meaningful games in September. I can't believe the front office could fool themselves into thinking this is a world series team but this is a team that could potentially at least hang around until sometime in September. This keeps fans interested and shows the team is headed in the right direction.

2- They just had the biggest crowd of the year. The Braves sold out Suntrust Park with the D-Backs in town. I think that's a sign that people in Atlanta are starting to take note of the Braves again. I could see the front office wanting to nurture that for business reasons.

3- The lottery ticket effect. The odds that the Braves actually make noise this October are remote. So are the chances of winning the lottery but people still buy lottery tickets. For the first time in several years the Braves have a real shot at making the post season. The odds are long but it's in the realm of possible now. With the farm system stocked like it is, I could easily see the front office reject the chance to add some mid-level prospects to it and instead just go for it with a "hey, it could happen" attitude.

The next couple weeks will be huge. If we drop 6 of the next 7 games and fall 4 games further back in the Wild Card then the math changes and we probably sell. If we win 6 of the next 7 and pull into the thick of it, then I think we buy and buy harder.

But I think the most likely scenario is that we keep the guys we have and look to add a controllable piece or two.
    To me its all about 1&2. The projected attendance looks real good right now and the fans are loving the atmosphere of SunTrust/Battery and more importantly the product on the field. You don't want to kill this good mojo by selling off important pieces for the 2017 team especially if these are relative middling prospects.

When I think about the positives/negatives of selling off the vets it sways more towards the negatives. I think the potential long term financial impact exceeds the low percentage chance of getting a potential MLB piece. We are heading into the territory of top 10 attendance and population projections could put the Braves even higher. What does that mean for payroll? Do we see the max go to 130/140/150? Those things need to be considered.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    the idea is to hit on one of them...so far it hasn't happened...but there are some guys (Scivicque for example) who might yet pan out
    Its certainly possible but I think the finances of the organization matter as well. The average fan is not going to like trading Phillips. I don't think Garcia matters all that much but the Braves need to be careful not to retard this ground swell of support for the team.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    They would bring up Medlen (a fan favorite). I would rather keep the guys we have instead of trading vets on small deals and then making a big trade as a knee jerk reaction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    As far as fan perception, I think the most important player is Phillips. He's a fan favorite and the FO seems determined to keep the perception of an upward trend. This is finally a watchable team and BP provides a lot of that energy and personality. Plus, not many if any teams are in the market for a 2b, so it will be easy to keep BP and then start fresh with Albies next spring.

Trading Garcia won' t be a big blow to this team's performance or it's marketability with fans. Neither will trading Johnson, IMO. Adams might be a little trickier, but with FF at 1b no one will cry too much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    How do we match up with Milwaukee ?

I feel like they have some ammo to spend, and are legit in contention.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    As far as fan perception, I think the most important player is Phillips. He's a fan favorite and the FO seems determined to keep the perception of an upward trend. This is finally a watchable team and BP provides a lot of that energy and personality. Plus, not many if any teams are in the market for a 2b, so it will be easy to keep BP and then start fresh with Albies next spring.

Trading Garcia won' t be a big blow to this team's performance or it's marketability with fans. Neither will trading Johnson, IMO. Adams might be a little trickier, but with FF at 1b no one will cry too much.
    I think Phillips is definitely getting traded.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I think Phillips is definitely getting traded.
    I hope not.

He's playing well. As mentioned above he's become sort of a fan favorite. And most importantly, if he's traded the Braves will bring up Albies to start in his place.

More than likely the value of any prospects received for Phillips would not be enough to be worth starting Albies' service time early.

If the team is out of it at the waiver deadline I wouldn't mind seeing it happen, so that we could wait a day and bring Albies up September 1st to avoid counting against his service time..
    Last edited by DirkPiggler; 07-17-2017 at 08:36 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    I hope not.

He's playing well. As mentioned above he's become sort of a fan favorite. And most importantly, if he's traded the Braves will bring up Albies to start in his place.

More than likely the value of any prospects received for Phillips would not be enough to be worth starting Albies' service time early.
    The fact that he's playing well is exactly why we should be trading him now. I realize not many contenders need a 2B, which will probably be the only holdup, but we can probably find a deal somewhere, say with the Rays.

We still wouldn't need to call up Albies. We'll have Rodriguez soon, and he and Camargo can easily handle 2B/3B duties, especially if we don't deal Adams.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    If the prospects are middling then what is the point?
    Didn't say I'd want middling prospects. Don't want to just give them away, but also not expecting an overpay return. Nats just gave up 2 of their top 10 guys and a reliever for 2 bullpen pieces. I certainly think Garcia and Johnson have value in this market. And all of Phillips, Garcia and Johnson can be replaced within our organization and we still remain competitive.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    The fact that he's playing well is exactly why we should be trading him now. I realize not many contenders need a 2B, which will probably be the only holdup, but we can probably find a deal somewhere, say with the Rays.

We still wouldn't need to call up Albies. We'll have Rodriguez soon, and he and Camargo can easily handle 2B/3B duties, especially if we don't deal Adams.
    Braves have plenty of options other than Albies at 2B, but my bet is they would still call him up. I believe they've pencilled him to make the team next year. If that's the case, they might as well get him some at bats, even if that isn't the optimum contract management.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    If the prospects are middling then what is the point?
    the more bites at the apple you get the better.

Don't you always say development happens at different points for different players? So buy low on some guys with tools, Alex Jackson is a great example, its not like he really cost a lot to acquire.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Not sure why you trade Julio now. Seems like trading Julio and then trading for another pitcher like Gray, is just making a trade just to say you made a trade. Unless they know something about Julio or you're confident you can "win" both trades, I just don't want see why.
    The only way it makes sense to me is if they're looking to plug other holes with "almost ready" guys.

I don't think Houston's moving Tucker, but if you could get Fisher (who's ready to step in for Kemp or Markakis at any point), Garrett Stubbs (who would be ready to step in for Suzuki in 2018), J.D. Davis (who would be ready to step in at 3B if Adams is dealt), and a wildcard like a Jason Martin (to take Pache's place if he's dealt) for Teheran and Vizcaino, and then use Anderson, Pache, and another arm or two to get Gray, wouldn't we be ahead of the game - particularly if Coppy can add Profar for Garcia plus?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Phillips and Garcia should both be traded.

Both can be replaced at least somewhat internally, and it would be beneficial to give Carmago a ton of ABs at 2B and Wisler/Sims a look in the rotation.

Despite our record, I don't think we are really in the run this year, trading two guys who are gone after this year anyway makes too much sense.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Preacher For This Useful Post:

WaitingFor2017 (07-17-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Phillips and Garcia should both be traded.

Both can be replaced at least somewhat internally, and it would be beneficial to give Carmago a ton of ABs at 2B and Wisler/Sims a look in the rotation.

Despite our record, I don't think we are really in the run this year, trading two guys who are gone after this year anyway makes too much sense.
    This ignores the aspect of fan interest. The financial benefit of keeping Phillips may exceed a prospect that has a 5% chance of making the majors.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts

We wouldn't have to call up Albies, but I strongly believe the front office would bring him up to replace Phillips. As long as Phillips is on the roster they can resist the temptation.

If someone offers a massive overpay, then by all means trade him. Anyone should be available if another team wants to pull a Dave Stewart. But don't trade him for filler just to get something in return.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The only way it makes sense to me is if they're looking to plug other holes with "almost ready" guys.

I don't think Houston's moving Tucker, but if you could get Fisher (who's ready to step in for Kemp or Markakis at any point), Garrett Stubbs (who would be ready to step in for Suzuki in 2018), J.D. Davis (who would be ready to step in at 3B if Adams is dealt), and a wildcard like a Jason Martin (to take Pache's place if he's dealt) for Teheran and Vizcaino, and then use Anderson, Pache, and another arm or two to get Gray, wouldn't we be ahead of the game - particularly if Coppy can add Profar for Garcia plus?
    So you're moving Teheran, Vizcaino, Anderson, Pache, and another arm or two - for Gray, Fisher, Stubbs, Davis, and Jason Martin?

No, I definitely don't think you're ahead of the game by doing that. I like the guys we're giving up more than the ones we're getting. And I'm not sure what potentially adding Profar has to do with it since that would be a separate deal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    We wouldn't have to call up Albies, but I strongly believe the front office would bring him up to replace Phillips. As long as Phillips is on the roster they can resist the temptation.

If someone offers a massive overpay, then by all means trade him. Anyone should be available if another team wants to pull a Dave Stewart. But don't trade him for filler just to get something in return.
    But if you think the only think holding Albies back is Phillips' presence, then the decision on Phillips will be made by what they want to do with Albies, not the other way around. In that scenario, if they think Albies should be up now to start getting AB, they will trade Phillips to make room for it. They're not going to first make a decision on Phillips, then call up Albies simply because they created a hole.

Anyway, that doesn't matter. The best move on Phillips is to trade him now. The best move on Albies is to keep him down. I don't know if those moves are intertwined in the FO's mind, but it doesn't really matter. Those are the best decisions in each case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Phillips will be kept for his personality, yuge smile, key role as locker room leader and popularity with the casual fan.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Phillips will be kept for his personality, yuge smile, key role as locker room leader and popularity with the casual fan.
    I understand why it has to happen, but I would be mad if the front office made moves or didn't make moves because of the casual fan. Phillips does bring leadership, but this is not a WS team and is an impending free agent. Trade him in the next two weeks and at least get a lottery ticket out of him. In the meanwhile, you can keep Albies down until September or 2018 and play Camargo/SRod there in the meanwhile.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    But if you think the only think holding Albies back is Phillips' presence, then the decision on Phillips will be made by what they want to do with Albies, not the other way around. In that scenario, if they think Albies should be up now to start getting AB, they will trade Phillips to make room for it. They're not going to first make a decision on Phillips, then call up Albies simply because they created a hole.

Anyway, that doesn't matter. The best move on Phillips is to trade him now. The best move on Albies is to keep him down. I don't know if those moves are intertwined in the FO's mind, but it doesn't really matter. Those are the best decisions in each case.
    Again, it depends on what is offered for Phillips. You can't say that the best move is to trade him now without knowing what offers are on the table for him.

IF the front office can get fair value for him, and IF they will replace him with someone other than Albies for the remainder of the year, trading Phillips is the right move.